Mildew On Joists, Clean Before Kilz? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Mildew on joists, clean before kilz?

Hello all, I'm recovering from a leak in a hot water pipe. The water had been spraying a fine mist onto the plywood subfloor under the house and as well as a little on the joists around it. I've ripped out all the damaged subflooring but there is some mildew on the joists. I've had a commercial cyclone fan blowing on the joists for a week now and they are dry but there is still powdered mildew on them. Should I clean them with bleach and water before I paint them or just paint them?

FYI, the joists themselves haven't been structurally compromised they just have mildew on them.

Advertisement

Jimmyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjo View Post
Hello all, I'm recovering from a leak in a hot water pipe. The water had been spraying a fine mist onto the plywood subfloor under the house and as well as a little on the joists around it. I've ripped out all the damaged subflooring but there is some mildew on the joists. I've had a commercial cyclone fan blowing on the joists for a week now and they are dry but there is still powdered mildew on them. Should I clean them with bleach and water before I paint them or just paint them?

FYI, the joists themselves haven't been structurally compromised they just have mildew on them.
bleach will kill the surface mold, but the hyphae (roots) extend very deep into the wood. Also, you dont want to inhale bleach vapors. And never use bleach straight out of the bottle- way too strong, and unneccessary.

Use a mildewcide spray like lysol/store brand (make sure to read the ingredients to find the ingredient benzylalkylammonium chloride, or close to that (there are different spellings). Again, no need to buy National brand- alls the same!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

Also, peroxide 3% from store kills mold very well,, and no stink!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I followed your instructions NoQuacks about using Lysol. Man, what a mess that was but definately the way to go. First thing I did was scrub the joists with a mixture of bleach and hot water, let them dry with a big fan, then repeated with Lysol. It was probably overkill but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Since then I've painted the joists with Kilz and there hasn't been any bleed through or discoloration of any kind. The next step is to put down the subflooring so I can then finally put down the new laminate flooring I bought 2 months back.

Hopefully I'll have this done before christmas!
Jimmyjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mildew , paint , water damage