Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

Metal Fire door.

Hello.

So I have been re-doing my garage and laundry room which are slowly turning out great. The door that separates the garage from the laundry room is metal and what I believe is a fire door (or should be).

I painted this door and the metal trim (which was painted in a tan color) BLACK. Needless to say that I had to do 3 coats just to completely cover all of the tan. Before painting I sanded the door with a manual sander with 400 grit sand paper and completely took off the shine from the previous paint. Then wiped with spirits to remove all of the dust.

PROBLEM is that I can scratch the paint right off with my nail and its been 2 weeks since I painted. Being the door in my garage and laundry it just cant be that "fragile" taken it gets dinged all the time by laundry baskets and anything else being carried to the garage.

I used Behr ultra exterior paint with the primer in it. Its semi gloss.

HELP !!!

Imessano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

Metal Fire door.

Now that you have that in it, anything you put on top is at the mercy of the poor adhesion I the Behr.

I'd sand it off again and spray a paint meant for metal. If you love the black, there's a spray meant for engine blocks that should be pretty durable.

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Metal Fire door.

Sounds like the Behr has an adhesion issue. If it was me I would strip it and start fresh. You should use DTM on metal doors (direct to metal) or at least a quality enamel with 100% acrylic binders.
You may have to let the paint cure a little bit longer. I'm not a fan of Behr I have seen and heard a lot of horor stories about Behr
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Metal Fire door.

You didn't tell us what type of finish, was it latex or oil? I'm going to assume it was latex, since I don't think Behr makes an oil. Your problem is not the Behr, or the paint, it's the fact that you wiped the door with mineral spirits. Why? To remove dust? What's wrong with a dust brush, which is all you need. In your effort to remove the dust, you added a layer of oily residue, and that is what is creating your bonding issue. Never wipe a latex destined surface with any petroleum based cleaning solution or solvent. I don't even like doing that on an oil destined surface. You have to strip the door, wash it with a grease cutting detergent, like dirtex, and then I would apply a bonding primer, then your latex finish. Also, three coats of black sounds like a lot to cover tan. This is where I would tell you to go to a real paint store. One coat of black should give fairly solid coverage over white, with the second being the final. I did a white door last fall with BM gloss oil black, and if it wasn't for the little bit of fish eye from some hand grease, it could have been done in one. Second coat to come this spring, as the cold set in and I couldn't get it finished. You don't take any chances in cold, damp weather with black oil. The pic is a different door, but that's two coats of black gloss oil over white. Sorry for the flipped pic, don't know why that happened, tried to fix it, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Fire door.-img00530-20110714-1608.jpg  

Last edited by jsheridan; 04-14-2012 at 10:36 PM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (04-16-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Metal Fire door.

What he ^^^ said. also
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Fire door.-behr1.jpg  
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-15-2012)