Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

I jsut installed a couple rooms worth of MDF trim and cheap-o home depot pre-hung doors.

Deciding how to handle this.. The surfaces are white but is this primer? Do I need to prime first, before painting. Maybe just a quick sanding and its good to go?

Want to do it right the second time around, I told the wife to research before painting the trim last time, and she said she did. I asked her what she did, she applied aprox 7 coats of paint until it looked good. You could scratch off the paint with your fingernail

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

It's per-primed but 9 times out of 10 it is a junk. I almost always prime those again. Go fast to avoid lap marks as that factory pimer really soaks up the paint and makes it dry really quick. Then 2 coats of quality paint and you are done. Always helps to give it a light sanding before each coat.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

this stuff is typical for new construction, not sure what it's called junk. most sub 250k homes come with this stuff.

if i shoot with an airless i can make them perfect BUT i have yet to find a white that i can brush on that doesn't leave streaks on the smooth casing

if someone has a trick for avoiding brush strokes and not using an airless that's the real information to be had here.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
this stuff is typical for new construction, not sure what it's called junk. most sub 250k homes come with this stuff.
I have worked on many, many homes north of a million that use the same junk - just lots more of it.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #5

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

would this be a bad time to point out that a typical hollow 30" jen weld from depot is $53 and the solid fir primed door is only $81 via special order? the jen weld solid core doors are a very stout piece. i just installed one on my bedroom since my house is done in 6 panel hollow core
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

racebum, did you specia order yourl 6-panel solid core fir doors from HD? How are these different from the pine 6-panel doors that HD typically carry?
smoochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 AM   #7

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

pine is more costly. the 6 panel i ordered is a primed fir door. it's just like a hollow core only solid fir. well almost like, it's smooth finish, no wood texture in the surface. this was 81 bucks and is easy to paint white. pine, that would be more work to paint and the knots some doors have require even more work. pine would look better natural imo
Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #8

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

I went thru the same exercise two years ago. I did rely on the primer base which was already on the door/trim and have not had a problem two years later, BUT, if you wanted to put another primer coat on, certainly wouldn't hurt anything. As to the finish coat, I used latex, Glidden Evermore, Semi-Gloss, Interior, White-on-White color selection. I added to the paint a dry-delaying agent, I think it was Flo-Ease or something similar. I applied two coats (did not sand between coats) and the finishes are as good today as they were two years ago. The Flo-Ease gives one a little more , not much, but a little more time to complete painting all the door panels before the paint becomes too tacky to brush over. I had 6 panel doors and by following the recommended painting scheme, I was able to avoid brush marks, even at the intersection of the individual panels. The doors did take a while to thoroughly dry after the second coat (like, 3 weeks) but this was to be expected with semi-gloss paint. Ending note: while I was painting I was concerned with every little detail. Two years later, I don't even "see" the work I did. It is all just part of the backdrop. Don't sweat the small stuff.
GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Handyman

MDF trim/Cheap Doors?

Like Matthew, I always prime pre-primed doors...the finish is much better. Also you have to prime/paint the top and bottom or the warrantee is void.

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote