DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Matching paint tints between brands...

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  NCpaint1 
#1 ·
So...I've found a few paint colors that I finally like. They are Valspar....I'm hoping to get BM paint....how well do you think it will color match? I am a recovering Behr user. I've had fine results in many places with Behr but not so good in other places. I'm beginning to wonder what using a nicer paint will actually be like now! AND, would love to support a smaller/local store in the meantime. As a side note...Behr paint has been HORRIBLE in our bathroom....that all in one crap (which I only bought for the COLOR, they wouldn't match it to anything else). It has peeled badly.....I feel like we prepped fine.

Thanks for any help!

#3 ·
That type of matching is an everyday thing. However, the results you get will depend on the caliber of the color matcher. Some are excellent, some, not so much. I'm forunate to have a couple of guys at Shinn's Paint (BM) in Wilmington, DE who do phenomenal matching. A couple of guys all in one place, Shinn's is hoarding the talent. You have to have some flexibility with the results, sometimes accepting a reasonable facsimile, sometimes they hit it perfectly. I say that because some people think it will be an exact match, in my experience. Different paint chemistry, different tint systems, different color range capability. That said and understood, you should be fine. But, if you need that exact color, and some people do, stick with the manufacturer that offers it, and sometimes that's not even 100%.
Chris, I noticed and applaud your restraint.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure what the "restraint" comment is for but I will trust that hopefully it's an inside joke and I didn't say something weird.

Thanks again!
Sorry Magoi, it was an inside joke. I know Chrisn is not a fan of Behr and I was both teasing and genuinely applauding him not commenting on your words about Behr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.