Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Matching Paint from One Manuf to Another

Sunday Question for the Pro's....
Is there currently a computer that tells you what formula to tint when you are taking color from one manuf. but getting paint tinted from another.

Granted base, tints, etc differ from one manuf. to another.

I have one amazzing paint shop that does accurate paint tinting/matching but there are quite a bit away if not almost $20 in tolls...

Looking to get 1 color that in a P&L as well as 1 color that is a Restoration Hardware in Aura Base. Its my understanding BM is the manuf. for Restoration Hardware paint.

I just really like Aura. I like how matte cleans up without burnishing the paint, etc, etc.

mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you go to a good BM dealer- they match paint all the time. It is one of the services of a paint store.

user1007 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

1. Real paint stores and brands have translation tables for each others color collections. I loved working with the Pittsburgh selector but the store was inconvenient as in your situation and I worked mainly with Ben Moore paint. My store had the formulas.

2. Most major paint stores have color scanners. Bring in a chip at least an inch or so square and the machine will magically analyze the color and kick out a formula to try. You can name the color mix whatever you want.

3. Real paint stores have guys or gals that know paint. They do not show up for work in orange or blue aprons. They do not cover for the electrical department, bakery, fish counter or double as coffee baristas. Many paint store employees are honest to God former pro painters or at least people that have held decent paint brushes for family photos. Leave them anything after the morning rush when we all pick up paint (or I used to) and they will perfect match it by the end of the day in whatever paint you want. Actually, you know what? My paint stores used to offer coffee and donuts to those of us waiting around early morning for paint. I cannot speak for all painters but I think we were willing to take a serious DIYer under wing and offer free advice. Painters tend to be morning people so get over that if you are late night and into disco. I don't dance and I know no other painter that does.

4. www.easyrgb.com is one of my fave color consulting tools. The online version is free. If you have an accurate camera or scanner and can digitize things so you can grab the RGB code of any pixel with a free pixel grabber? Let easyrgb calibrate your monitor (you should set it to 6500K ahead of time). Type in the RGB code and pick a color collection from any of the major paint companies and before your eyes? The four closest swatches from the color collection appear along with names and color codes numbers. Sorry, box store brands are not supported.

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2012 at 10:51 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

My Sherwin Williams store does a great job color matching, too, using a computer.
canoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

I usually choose a paint color at the box stores, totally ignoring the brand of samples I'm standing in front of. There is a far greater range of sample color cards of various brands at 'LowesDepot' than there is at my local Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore dealers which I then takes the samples to.

Most recently, I chose a color from Olympic. I took it to SW (who had nothing even remotely close on display), and their computers matched it to perfection. For me, they'll whip up a bit, apply it to the sample card, let it dry, then ask me if I'm happy with it or want it tweaked. The formula is printed on the can and stored in their database for 5 years.

To me, that's the beauty of computer color-matching - the flexibility to choose a color and a brand of paint independently of each other.

Last edited by Jay 78; 04-29-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Eye kant cpel vary gud.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #6

Color Samples / cards are never a accurate way to decide color. You need to paint test samples in the room it is to be in, look at it in the *rooms* light/decor as this will sway how that color reflects in your eyes.

I've never been a fan of the paint spectro. machines. Then again, I've had 1 bad color match from ones that does the spectro - hence I have always gone back when I need something real special to the paint store that is a good trek away.....They tint, test, tint, test etc...

I'm more curios in this *database* of tints. Does such exist within the BM network. I love their Aura...Still prefer Muralo for trim, but Aura is my go to for interiors. Has BM done this color match and have this *database* of what tints to add to X and X to make competitor X color in ~their~ base. Just called my go to BM dealer. No tint formula found for P&L and RH in whatever database they use.

I guess it's time to fill up the tank and get ready to go to my *custom* tint paint supplier.

Last edited by mobiledynamics; 04-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
You need to paint test samples in the room it is to be in, look at it in the *rooms* light/decor as this will sway how that color reflects in your eyes.
I do. Didn't mention it because that aspect has nothing to do with your thread. Thanks for the tip, though.

Last edited by Jay 78; 04-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Member at Large

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
You need to paint test samples in the room it is to be in, look at it in the *rooms* light/decor as this will sway how that color reflects in your eyes.
Please EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME!

DO NOT! I REPEAT! DO NOT PAINT SAMPLES ON THE WALL!

Do! use sample boards you can get from your paint store.

Thank you.
oldpaintdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldpaintdoc For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,076

Nothing beats a good professional paint dealer. The easiest way to tell and see if they are true professional opens very early for the real painters that make money by using good materials and knowing how to do it.

I go to one store that has all the computers and scanners and equipment to match anything and they sell several brands, including BM and some cheaper stuff. They keep a record of every color and matches I have used.

Do not belittle the effects of the lighting and exposure on the appearance when completed because the light source has a huge effect on the appearance. For one job (tall, inaccessible wals), I had a painter do a stair way and thought the colors on the two sides of the lower portion were different. Just to satisfy myself (stubborn German/Norwegian), I took the original paint and did a small patches on the two sides of the stairway and they matched what he did, but looked totally different individually because of the light source. One side was from interior lighting and one side was lighted by exterior light from an over-size sliding door(one side looked gray and the other green). That was in the summer when the outside grass was green and in the winter with snow cover, it looked gray.

I ended up doing the room with 5 doors and huge slider (white vinyl) in 2 different darknesses of the two colors, but it worked great despite the hassle of changing colors and masking the stark white trim that I used to replaced the archaic varnished wood trim. I was pleased (even my wife was surprisingly pleased) and I even went to changing the finish surfaces (from matte to egshell and semi-gloss) for different effects. Despite the efforts, I felt like Van Gogh and am anxious to tackle another job after I finish my classes for painting with an easel and wearing a beret.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Codes and Computers will get you close to the color, but if you need an exact match it will require the expertise of a person. That person needs to have ample experience matching by eye, manufacture and product is irrelevant if you get the right guy or girl.

www.moorhousecoating.com
MHCoating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MHCoating For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaintdoc View Post
Please EVERYONE LISTEN TO ME!

DO NOT! I REPEAT! DO NOT PAINT SAMPLES ON THE WALL!

Do! use sample boards you can get from your paint store.

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, why not?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

what- you've never had to skim the mess someone left on walls before?
Or had to prime to even it out?
Say nothing about how much more informative it is to be able to move a sample board to different areas with different light...
etc etc....
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #13

Primer does not cover brush marks.....aka sample tests.
I test mine in areas where it will be covered by a cabinet. etc.
I suppose buying foam core board is not that much of a extra chore
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #14

But it's no fun if I can't sponge my sample colors on the popcorn ceiling and then try and get my Behr all in on to cover it!
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If I order tonight, and you are my client, you could have large Ben Moore color samples by tomorrow afternoon if you are really in a hurry.

Tack the 8x8 sections up and see if you like them.

Not sure I would not paint out a color if not sure. A quart is cheaper than a gallon. A gallon is cheaper than a bucket. I did not leave brush marks!

My clients have tended to be color sensitive. Ironically, my gallery clients just wanted neutrals.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote