Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to nathan.hawk Send a message via Skype™ to nathan.hawk
Share |

Matching Paint Color

I brought up (kind of) this type of issue through another thread, but not in this specificity.

The fromt of our house is stucco, and last year we removed fully (roots and all) a plant form that was in the ground and was scaling up our stucco finish. When removing it, it "ripped" or "removed" some of the finish. We need to repair the area, filling in the gaps and repainting it.

Any have suggestions for matching paint color of the stucco finish? How moticeable would a subtke color difference be?

nathan.hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Matching Paint Color

Nathan, since you're going to have to patch anyway, you may as well chip a decent size piece off and take it to the paint store so they can match it, for color and a sheen that will match close enough. You probably will have to paint enough of the front/side/whatever to the point where you can't see two sections, one painted one not, from one standing position. You definitely won't be able to touch up because it will be paint versus no paint, regardless of how close a color can be made. Or, if I'm not mistaken, stuccos can be "tinted" during the mixing process and you may be able to match it that way. That aspect would probably be better answered in the masonry forum.
Edit: I re-read as I was clicking away. Is the stucco currently painted? If so, disregard the point about tinting. Doing what I initially said about the chip, short of having the paint, is about the only thing that can be done.

Last edited by jsheridan; 02-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Matching Paint Color

If the color is in the stucco tint? It is unlikely you will ever match it. Plan on painting.

If it is painted jsheridan is right. If you don't have the can, have the color scanned. If paint has been on awhile scan anyhow as can may no longer match. May want to consider painting whole section rather than trying to blend. Don't forget to prime the patch!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote