Matching Ceiling Texture - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Matching Ceiling Texture

Hello All;
I finished our dining room that many of you advised me on, so thanks to all that contributed to my success.
Onto the next project... Redoing our family room.

Basically the walls and ceiling are textured (plaster I think..., but if I am wrong please let me know...) and we have never been a fan, so we are going to sheetrock over them. Going to use 1/4", anyone ever work with it. I am using it, because I am going to go right over the plaster and I heard it is way easier to work with. Any comments on this topic is appreciated as well…

But my real question is about the ceilings. The ceilings are textured, and I do not want to sheetrock, because I work mostly by myself and the added frustration of mudding above my head is not appealing. So, I am ripping down some beams, and in the area where these decorative beams are, there is no texturing. So, I basically want to match the texturing of the ceilings in the area where the beams once stood.

I am enclosing some pics to show what I am talking about, and to display the texture style. I heard that this maybe a mudding technique, is it? What about a spray on texture? I don’t mind doing either and as long as it is close, I am OK with it.

If anyone has some ideas or techniques to share, I am all ears…
Attached Thumbnails
Matching Ceiling Texture-ceiling_5.jpg   Matching Ceiling Texture-celiling_1.jpg  

Advertisement

WorkOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Matching Ceiling Texture

Its hard for me to see the texture pattern in the pix. If you could post some close ups it would help. From what i can see, spray can texture probably wont match that pattern. Practice with premixed joint compound on a scrap piece of drywall till you get close. I'm not sure I understand what you were saying about sheetrocking over it. If you intend to do that, you might consider using at least 3/8" thick. 1/4" will follow every wave in the ceiling. I believe the thicker you use, the more it will bridge gaps and imperfections. Good Luck.

Advertisement

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #3

Matching Ceiling Texture

Thanks send_it_all...
Concerning the sheetrock, I was just saying that when I take down all the beams, I would rather try to match the texture, then resheetorck the entire ceiling.

I have enclosed some closeups, I hope they help. As far as practicing, what tool\object would I used to create that textured look. Hairbrush?, Wirebrush?, V-shaped trowl?

Thanks again...

WorkOnIt
Attached Thumbnails
Matching Ceiling Texture-ceiling_7.jpg   Matching Ceiling Texture-ceiling_9.jpg  
Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Matching Ceiling Texture

It's still tough to see, but it looks like a combination of a taping knife or trowel, and stippling with a broom of some sort. We dont get that here on the west coast, but I have heard of it. If you intend to try to match it, use premixed joint compound. trowel it onto a scrap of drywall or plywood, and play with different combinations until you get close. Hope this helped.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Matching Ceiling Texture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkOnIt View Post
...I am ripping down some beams, and in the area where these decorative beams are, there is no texturing. So, I basically want to match the texturing of the ceilings in the area where the beams once stood...
IMO that is really not a good option
I'm really, really, good at texture matching repair areas
But I wouldn't even offer that to a customer on a project like this
-even if they insisted "it'll be OK-I know it won't look perfect"
There's no way it won't look bad/obvious
It's beyond a simple patch/repair, it's huge lines

If you are rocking the walls I'd suggest the best course of action is to rock the ceilings

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, sorry
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #6

Matching Ceiling Texture

Hey Slickshift;
Thanks for your response. Deep down I kinda knew that was the deal, but wanted to throw out the idea of matching instead of redoing...

But onto the question about 1/4" rock. Have you ever used it. I heard that it is mostly used in creating arches or other curved surfaces. You think it would be OK to use on both ceiling and walls?

If so, I also herd that it can be hung by using glue and minimal screws, has anyone heard of that?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Matching Ceiling Texture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkOnIt View Post
Hey Slickshift;
Thanks for your response. Deep down I kinda knew that was the deal, but wanted to throw out the idea of matching instead of redoing...

But onto the question about 1/4" rock. Have you ever used it. I heard that it is mostly used in creating arches or other curved surfaces. You think it would be OK to use on both ceiling and walls?

If so, I also herd that it can be hung by using glue and minimal screws, has anyone heard of that?

If the ceiling is completely flat...1/4" SR will work. On walls or on ceilings, you should use screws. You can use adhesive in addition, but use 1 5/8" drywall screws....

(FWIW - I agree with slick about trying to seamlessly blend those ceiling areas.
We have done alot of ceiling textures, repairs etc... We would coat the sheetrock 'beam' areas very flat and wide, but even that could still show a wavy surface over the width of the whole ceiling, in certain sunlight and interior lighting....)
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #8

Matching Ceiling Texture

Thanks AWBConst.
The ceiling is pretty flat so I am hoping that 1/4' will work. Another quick question: on both the ceiling and walls I should still locate studs\joist to screw into right? The added layer of sheetrock\plaster covering is not strong enough to hold the rock up, right?

thanks again...

Advertisement