Match Pine To Oak Floors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Match pine to oak floors

We hired someone to refinish our pine (I think heart of pine or some heart of pine) floor in the kitchen. It was covered with linoleum. He sanded them perfectly. They look good but the stain he chose isn't matching (not even that close). Anyone recommend any particular colors for this? Many friends and other wood floor people have said you can match it closer than what it is.

Advertisement

Sculley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Match pine to oak floors

In most cases pine is a tough wood to stain. Did your go to guy use a conditioner before they stained?

Advertisement

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #3

Match pine to oak floors

I had to ask him to after someone mentioned it. He did the first time but then he sanded them again to match the color better and didn't use one the second time around. He said he wasn't sold on it. Color still not right.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

Match pine to oak floors

Do try to get your contractor to come back and make the fix. That would be the best thing to be able to do. Sanding probably did cause some of his problems. See if you can to get him to come fix it. as for colors,,, well I surely wouldnt want you to say ,,,,, Them Darn DIY`rs said it would look good. Besides your the one who has to live with it day after day. get a sample of wood and try some samples, that way you might also be able to know what would in the event you have to DIY it.

Last edited by mark942; 04-21-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

Match pine to oak floors

Check your local paint stores, see if they do custom stain matches. Bring in a piece of oak that is the color you want and bare piece of pine to have matched to hit. It can be done. I do it on a weekly basis.
paintpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #6

Match pine to oak floors

Thanks for all the feedback and great suggestions. I knew there was a better way to do this. I think it's too late. He came yesterday and put on another coat and then a coat of poly. It's not bad but definitely doesn't match and I don't think I want to sand them again. Do you think after he's finished I could go to a paint store and match the oak floor to the pine and use a poly stain to match it better?

How do you choose a contractor? Everyone that came over for an estimate kept saying it would be close but not exact and none said that they could go to the paint store to do some custom samples. How do you tell professionals and people who do it right vs people who say and mean well but they aren't? This is my first remodeling project.

This guy is a decent guy and does do his best and wants to do it right. Even re-sanded and put a different color. I do think it was his mistake for not checking with me first about colors. I even asked him if he wanted me to stick around to show me color samples and he said no.

mark942, what did you mean by the sanding could have caused it?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #7

Match pine to oak floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Sanding probably did cause some of his problems.

If the wood was sanded right in the beginning there should be no need to sand while putting on a conditioner. Or multiple coats of conditioner. The next sanding would be after the clear coat went on, then repeated there after until the desired effect has been accomlished. Not to be sanded while staining. I am by no means saying the problem is your floor guy`s fault. I am sure he did his best for you. As I said before, I am sure that his sanding technique probably caused him some problems. Pine is a very tricky critter to take a stain.

As it has been said by paintpimp, all some one has to do now, is go to the local PAINT STORE and have them make you a match. I am sure some might not want to tell a person this. But, It is what it is.

As to your looking for a good contractor? That seems to be the $$$$$$$ dollar question. What I tell people is to ask for at least 6 jobs done in the same year. ( That would be bare minimum ) Get addresses and go talk to the person that the contractor had done work for. Most folks will be more than willing to show off their great job. Not to mention they get to show off their home as well. Ask if he/she were accommodating to their needs and requests. Was the job done on time/ on budget. Were they professional about their work and environment. Check BBB. Ask for license and bond/insurance. Check to see how much INS/Bond they carry. Most states require contractors to be licensed with them as well. Check them to see if there has been any claims against them. If so, was it resolved or was there a judgment. Also, most good contractors if they are good will be busy and will have to make arrangements to fit your job into their schedule. Most will not be LOW bids, nor will they be the highest. But in most cases you get what you pay for. Like I said "In most cases" When you find a contractor that fits all your critierior, hang on to them. Treat them as though they have your bank account in their hand.....lol. Because they do!! Good Luck to you.............

Last edited by mark942; 04-22-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #8

Match pine to oak floors

Thanks so much! More great feedback. Appreciate it.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #9

Match pine to oak floors

What do we do? The floor guy put a 2nd coat of poly on yesterday and he painted in hair everywhere! I mean everywhere. So far, I've found over 20 pieces of hair. Some actual long hair pieces and some definitely from a broom.

Is this professional and acceptable? What can we do to fix it? Is this grounds for letting him go or am I being "picky"? This is the 4th thing I've had to ask him to fix! Do we hand sand and reapply?

Advertisement