DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Masking Tape Adhesive Remover? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/masking-tape-adhesive-remover-118746/)

Twister 09-30-2011 12:55 AM

Masking Tape Adhesive Remover?
 
Guys -

I need to remove some masking tape goo from a master bedroom closet that's been primed but not top-coated. The tape was some creme-colored stuff (i.e., not the blue Scotch 3M stuff) that has a sticky factor of about a billion. Has been on the wall for about 2 years. Got distracted on other DIY projects remodeling my home. Yeah, brilliant I know. :(

I tried 409 and a toothbrush, warm water with liquid hand soap and a toothbrush, and a scotch-brite pad with 409. No luck.

Anybody know of a good tape adhesive remover that won't rip off the existing layer of primer/force me to reprime? (And, to be clear, the adhesive remover itself doesn't have to be "tape", it just needs to be able to remove the masking tape adhesive/sticky stuff left behind.)

chrisn 09-30-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twister (Post 738690)
Guys -

I need to remove some masking tape goo from a master bedroom closet that's been primed but not top-coated. The tape was some creme-colored stuff (i.e., not the blue Scotch 3M stuff) that has a sticky factor of about a billion. Has been on the wall for about 2 years. Got distracted on other DIY projects remodeling my home. Yeah, brilliant I know. :(

I tried 409 and a toothbrush, warm water with liquid hand soap and a toothbrush, and a scotch-brite pad with 409. No luck.

Anybody know of a good tape adhesive remover that won't rip off the existing layer of primer/force me to reprime?[/


NO, but goof off will get the tape off

DangerMouse 09-30-2011 06:23 AM

WD-40 might help.

DM

Brushjockey 09-30-2011 08:57 AM

Mineral spirits works.

Twister 09-30-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 738731)
NO, but goof off will get the tape off

chrisn and DangerMouse -

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions. I'd heard of Goof-Off but never heard the idea of trying WD-40. Will have to give them a try and let you know how it worked.

(chrisn, in the "it's a small world" category, my son recently arrived in your town on a 2 yr church-service mission. Says he likes Hagerstown.)

Twister 09-30-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushjockey (Post 738796)
Mineral spirits works.

Mineral spirits? Is that the same as paint thinner?

Brushjockey 09-30-2011 09:24 AM

yes- but not the hotter solvents. usually tales a little elbow grease too when it's been that long. Lube up with the thinner, then gently scrape with a putty knife. might have to finish with a scrubbie, the glue will ball up.

Twister 09-30-2011 11:53 AM

Guys -

My wife showed me a product we had (didn't know we had it) called "Goo Gone". Worked AWESOME! I also had her buy a can of "Goof Off" to compare. The Goof Off worked quite well but required a little more aggressive rubbing and looked like it might have even started to remove the subtle orange peel texture from rolling the wall. I would have been thrilled with the Goof Off if she hadn't pointed out the Goo Gone. The Goo Gone required less elbow grease and also a slight orange scent to it, a bonus if anyone out there doesn't like solvent-based products.

I appreciate everyone's comments, but in the end, what worked best was "Goo Gone" by Magic American Corporation. If anyone can't find it, you can call them at (216) 464-2353.

Cheers!

Msradell 09-30-2011 12:27 PM

Make sure you do not use anything that contains oil or any oil byproducts. They will soak into the surface and make it very hard for additional paint to adhere in the future.

chrisn 09-30-2011 05:20 PM

[quote=Twister;738814]chrisn and DangerMouse -

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions. I'd heard of Goof-Off but never heard the idea of trying WD-40. Will have to give them a try and let you know how it worked.

(chrisn, in the "it's a small world" category, my son recently arrived in your town on a 2 yr church-service mission. Says he likes Hagerstown.)[/quote]


Cool, which church? You don't have to answer if you dont want to, I understand. Also good going with the goo gone.

Twister 09-30-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msradell (Post 738929)
Make sure you do not use anything that contains oil or any oil byproducts. They will soak into the surface and make it very hard for additional paint to adhere in the future.

Unfortunately, the Goo Gone is made with "petroleum distillates" (distilled products) so I wiped it down immediately with a water-soaked sponge. I hope that's good enough because I did it over 9 hours ago.

Break // Break.....

Anyone out there.....if you've used "Goof Off", "Goo Gone" or other similar products, have you ever had any problems with the cleaned area rejecting paint?

Twister 09-30-2011 08:27 PM

[quote=chrisn;739054]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twister (Post 738814)
chrisn and DangerMouse -

Thanks, guys, for your suggestions. I'd heard of Goof-Off but never heard the idea of trying WD-40. Will have to give them a try and let you know how it worked.

(chrisn, in the "it's a small world" category, my son recently arrived in your town on a 2 yr church-service mission. Says he likes Hagerstown.)[/quote]


Cool, which church? You don't have to answer if you dont want to, I understand. Also good going with the goo gone.

He's a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the 'Mormon' church). The Goo Gone cleaned up the tape goo AWESOME. I just hope I don't have problems with the paint not sticking now.

Still appreciate everyone's comments!

Msradell 09-30-2011 08:31 PM

While it does have some distillate products I've found in the past that Goo Gone doesn't cause a problem with future painting.

Twister 10-01-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msradell (Post 739192)
While it does have some distillate products I've found in the past that Goo Gone doesn't cause a problem with future painting.

Msradell -

Thanks for the info. Want to learn how to do things right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.