Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Share |

masking off baseboards?

I would like to just cut in around the baseboards free hand but i end up masking them off because then i cut in the ceiling the paint dripps sometimes down on to the baseboards, is there any way to avoid this?

PaintedSurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

masking off baseboards?

I'm not a professional painter (but I play one on television.) Seriously, if you are dripping that much, you have too much paint on the brush.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #3

masking off baseboards?

Paint out of a container. After you dip the end of the brush into the paint, slap the excess paint off onto the side of the container. I almost never get any drips.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #4

masking off baseboards?

If you're getting a drip from ceiling to floor, you need to re-evaluate a few things. Sounds like you could be using a cheap paint that tends to run.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

masking off baseboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantChange View Post
If you're getting a drip from ceiling to floor, you need to re-evaluate a few things. Sounds like you could be using a cheap paint that tends to run.
Or nice paint and a bag of 300/$3 Chinese made brushes? Invest in good tools. Start with a nice, $15-20, angled 2-1/2", angled sash brush. Take care of it. Learn to use it. It will last you a long time.

Of course you should tape and mask until you get better at it. If you can, paint your baseboards last. If you cannot? Watch yourself or find a friend to follow after you with a wet cloth.

Last edited by user1007; 11-30-2009 at 05:53 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

masking off baseboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Paint out of a container. After you dip the end of the brush into the paint, slap the excess paint off onto the side of the container. I almost never get any drips.
This is stupid advice and only works if you ALWAYS, and you should, paint out of the original container---whether one or five gallons. Never transfer the uncontaminated paint to another container first. And if you do transfer paint to another container? Always pour that container or drippings from the roller pans or whatever back into the original cans or buckets.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #7

masking off baseboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
This is stupid advice and only works if you ALWAYS, and you should, paint out of the original container---whether one or five gallons. Never transfer the uncontaminated paint to another container first. And if you do transfer paint to another container? Always pour that container or drippings from the roller pans or whatever back into the original cans or buckets.
What part of it is stupid advice? I often pour some paint from original to a smaller container meant to hold paint and use the method he described of slapping excess paint on sides of container. I don't get drips and pouring paint back into the original container is not a problem. Where is the stupidity?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

masking off baseboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
What part of it is stupid advice? I often pour some paint from original to a smaller container meant to hold paint and use the method he described of slapping excess paint on sides of container. I don't get drips and pouring paint back into the original container is not a problem. Where is the stupidity?
Before I get pissed. Are you US? And are you suggesting you drag excess paint into along an edge into the inside of a paint container?

I never have, but know you cannot slap anything in my part of the World and not expect a rather, deserved and unpleasant reaction in return. Including paint splatter I suspect.

No matter on one front though.

Everything your roller and brush picks up while painting? Pet hair, excess drywall dust, pet mites, kitchen mold you didn't clean, etc. should never go back into the original paint can or bucket? NEVER.

My sites are always as clean as can make them but I would NEVER return paint I used to the original can.

Last edited by user1007; 11-30-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #9

masking off baseboards?

No need for getting pissed (why would you?). I am in the US (what difference does it make where on the earth I am located when painting?). I guess the verb "slap" was a bit too strong; I found the following on-line to describe the process I used and that (I assume) you found objectionable . I found a video from Purdy on how to load a brush and it essentially shows what I do:
http://www.purdycorp.com/purdycorp-w...loading_brush/

Another site suggested
(they also used the verb "slap" but modified by the adverb "gently"):
"With the first dip, move the brush around a bit in the paint to open the bristles and let the brush fill completely. It will be easier to pick up a full load if you jab the brush gently into the paint with each dip. With most latex paints, you can simply dip the brush and let the excess drip off for a few seconds before moving the brush to the wall. With thinner coatings, however, you may have to gently slap the brush against the inside of the paint can or lightly drag it across the inside edge of the lip to remove excess paint."
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Handy

masking off baseboards?

Well now you are just confusing me, too. First you said always pour that container or drippings from the roller pans or whatever back into the original cans or buckets, and then you said NEVER return paint to the original can. I get your reasoning regarding pet hair and dust, and I suspect you are saying that you can't guarantee a consistent color or mixture if you pour off paint from the original can, no matter how well mixed. Right?
Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #11

masking off baseboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I really don't understand what you're on about.

This is the kind of container I paint trim out of:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-CC&lpage=none

The reason you don't drag the brush to scrape the paint off is it will glom up into the top part and you can't clean it. No one in this thread is having problems with contamination -- why bring it up. We're just trying to avoid his drips.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #12

masking off baseboards?

Sounds like a Mfg even recommends it
I paint from different containers all the time, especially when I buy 5g buckets
I've yet to see anyone hold a 5g bucket up to try to paint from it
I won't even hold a 1g can when it is full
Usually with a roller I end up using all the paint I put in, but not always
Excess paint is returned to the original container
I see no problem with this
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
New Look Painting & Textu

masking off baseboards?

If you only paint out of the original container how do you box your paint, slapping the brush against the side of your cut pot is common it helps to load the paint into the brush and keeps it from dripping
voiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #14

masking off baseboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiles View Post
If you only paint out of the original container
No one in this thread has suggested that painting out of the original container was a good idea.

Occasionally I do that if I have a large container that's mostly empty and I just need a little paint. Like if it's a gallon can, and it's got two inches of paint, and I need to touch up some nail holes. Otherwise, pour the paint into some other container for painting from.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
Learning by Doing

masking off baseboards?

I'm torn between saying something really controversial to keep the fun going and echoing the good tools and technique advice.

Feeling impish tonight. Buy the cheapest paint you can find! It will clean up easily when it drips!