DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

masking off baseboards?

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  diykc 
#1 ·
I would like to just cut in around the baseboards free hand but i end up masking them off because then i cut in the ceiling the paint dripps sometimes down on to the baseboards, is there any way to avoid this?

#2 ·
I'm not a professional painter (but I play one on television.):laughing: Seriously, if you are dripping that much, you have too much paint on the brush.

#6 ·
This is stupid advice and only works if you ALWAYS, and you should, paint out of the original container---whether one or five gallons. Never transfer the uncontaminated paint to another container first. And if you do transfer paint to another container? Always pour that container or drippings from the roller pans or whatever back into the original cans or buckets. :whistling2:

#5 · (Edited)
Or nice paint and a bag of 300/$3 Chinese made brushes? Invest in good tools. Start with a nice, $15-20, angled 2-1/2", angled sash brush. Take care of it. Learn to use it. It will last you a long time.

Of course you should tape and mask until you get better at it. If you can, paint your baseboards last. If you cannot? Watch yourself or find a friend to follow after you with a wet cloth.

#9 ·
No need for getting pissed (why would you?). I am in the US (what difference does it make where on the earth I am located when painting?). I guess the verb "slap" was a bit too strong; I found the following on-line to describe the process I used and that (I assume) you found objectionable . I found a video from Purdy on how to load a brush and it essentially shows what I do:
http://www.purdycorp.com/purdycorp-weblogic/dvd/painting-tips/play/loading_brush/

Another site suggested
(they also used the verb "slap" but modified by the adverb "gently"):
"With the first dip, move the brush around a bit in the paint to open the bristles and let the brush fill completely. It will be easier to pick up a full load if you jab the brush gently into the paint with each dip. With most latex paints, you can simply dip the brush and let the excess drip off for a few seconds before moving the brush to the wall. With thinner coatings, however, you may have to gently slap the brush against the inside of the paint can or lightly drag it across the inside edge of the lip to remove excess paint."

#10 ·
Well now you are just confusing me, too. First you said always pour that container or drippings from the roller pans or whatever back into the original cans or buckets, and then you said NEVER return paint to the original can. I get your reasoning regarding pet hair and dust, and I suspect you are saying that you can't guarantee a consistent color or mixture if you pour off paint from the original can, no matter how well mixed. Right?

#12 ·
Sounds like a Mfg even recommends it
I paint from different containers all the time, especially when I buy 5g buckets
I've yet to see anyone hold a 5g bucket up to try to paint from it
I won't even hold a 1g can when it is full
Usually with a roller I end up using all the paint I put in, but not always
Excess paint is returned to the original container
I see no problem with this

#14 ·
If you only paint out of the original container
No one in this thread has suggested that painting out of the original container was a good idea.

Occasionally I do that if I have a large container that's mostly empty and I just need a little paint. Like if it's a gallon can, and it's got two inches of paint, and I need to touch up some nail holes. Otherwise, pour the paint into some other container for painting from.

#15 ·
I'm torn between saying something really controversial to keep the fun going and echoing the good tools and technique advice.

Feeling impish tonight. Buy the cheapest paint you can find! It will clean up easily when it drips! :laughing:

#20 ·
I like to pour my paint into a new container and then leave a little in the original container and use it as my cut bucket.. Then when finished I pour back the paint I poured out earlier.. OK.. im kidding.. I couldnt help making this thread more confusing.. LOL

#21 ·
Sorry to be confusing. I guess I was trying to be funny.

I always pour paint out into a cut container of some kind. I buy cheap things with lids at the dollar store for this. Obviously I pour paint into roller pans too. I use a separate five gallon bucket if using a roller grate.

I never, ever, return leftover paint to the original container though. It is not worth contaminating unspoiled paint to save half a quart of stuff with heaven knows what is in it after rolling and brushing even the cleanest of walls.

#22 ·
Sorry to be confusing. I guess I was trying to be funny.

I always pour paint out into a cut container of some kind. I buy cheap things with lids at the dollar store for this. Obviously I pour paint into roller pans too. I use a separate five gallon bucket if using a roller grate.

I never, ever, return leftover paint to the original container though. It is not worth contaminating unspoiled paint to save half a quart of stuff with heaven knows what is in it after rolling and brushing even the cleanest of walls.

Well I have to say you are a purist.:yes:

#24 · (Edited)
Wow, I can't believe some of the absolute crap I'm reading on this forum. I feel sorry for people that come here looking for help.

To the original poster pyper is correct. Get yourself a paint pot from your local paint or hardware store. Pour about 1 to 2 inches into the paint pot from the 1 gallon or 5 gallon can or bucket. Dip your brush then tap it on the side of the pot before you begin cutting in. When finished feel free to pour any and all access paint in the paint pot back into the original container, this is perfectly fine and will not cause any problems what so ever. I've been doing it this way for 30 years and never had any issues, and this is in multi million dollar homes.

#25 ·
:thumbup: I'm not a painter but I play one when my wife gets the urge to change colors in a room. This is my approach too! Along with a previous recommendation to get a good brush and take care of it. Replace it when necessary though. Even a good brush doesn't last forever. And the more you do, the better you get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.