Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Share |

masking film for glass when painting?

I have heard that painters use a film to mask window panes when painting, rather than using blue tape. However, I couldn't find it at my local Home Depot. Can anybody clue me in as to what the film is, if it works or not, and where to get it? Thanx.

Ron39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Don't know the name- but if you get your head out of the box ( see what i did there! lol) and go to a paint store that deals with PAINTERS, they have the good stuff. Ask there.
Some you can brush on , some is meant for production painting and is sprayed on. been a long while since I used it ( I'm kinda handy with a brush,..) but they will know.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

A whole lot faster, less prep time and less clean up to just use a 2-1/2 quailty sash brush. There's suppost to be a small amount of paint left on the glass around where the glazing compound and glass meet to form a seal.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #4

Used to be a product on the market called "Glass Mask" from Wagner. It came in a shoe polish type container and you applied it just like shoe polish on the glass about 1 inch wide around the wood panes. Problem with it is that you have to scrape it off as well as the paint layer on top of it. This is very time consuming and as Joe & BJ hinted at, you would save more time just using your sash brush with some patience so you don't get lots of paint on the glass, just enough to make that seal from sash to glass.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

And if a small amount of paint does get on the glass, so what it scrapes right off.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
creeper (11-03-2012), ToolSeeker (11-03-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What I think you re looking for is a frisket material. You can buy it at art stores in sizes if you paint store does not have it. It comes with an adhesive backing and is easily removed. It comes in different thicknesses with the thicker stuff used to mask off for glass etching, etc. Overkill for painting. In the art world we also used paint on friskets. I never had much luck with those Wagner things and you must be diligent about peeling the stuff off very quickly. They did not stretch very far and were expensive.

As mentioned, unless you are doing production work and spraying there is not a real reason to mask an entire window pain. I found 3M corners handy for painting joints but seldom used painter's tape otherwise. I did keep plastic razer blades on hand. There were nice because they did not oxidize.

Do invest and take care of a nice 2.5 angled sash brush or two. Expect to pay $15-20 is retail and be suspect of anything much cheaper although if patient I often found inventory being closed out on eBay. Purdy and Wooster were fave brands.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-04-2012)

Tags
glass window masking