Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Lightbulb

Masking and Blue tape ripping off paint

I've been reading this forum for long enough that I know >90% of paint issues come from the end user in terms of surface prep, improper application methods and misuse of tools.

I'm assuming I had one or probably multiple errors in the above categories, as I am no where near a pro, but want to know WHICH ONE . I'll start out by saying that I've touched up the problem areas painstakingly with a brush, but I want to learn for the future....

I'm wondering, what caused my problem/did I miss something/where did I go wrong:

Redoing kitchen, hung new sheetrock on walls, kept existing ceiling.

Paper taped joint at top of wall and edge of ceiling with 3 coats of mud (imbedded, then 2 more coats).

Sealed/Primed 1 coat with Zinsser 123. Waiting 1 day.

Used Behr (I know I know, I had leftover from another project BEFORE I read these forums..) Ceiling Paint 2 coats, waiting about 12 hours between coats.

Taped Ceiling edge with 2 inch masking tape (not the blue kind, regular).

Did walls with SW Harmony (separate side comment: first time using non-HD paint... I will NEVER go back... everything I've read on here about coverage, application, etc is all true, no comparison), 2 coats, waiting 1 day between.

PROBLEM: when I removed masking tape, it ripped off about 30% of the Behr ceiling paint with it, leaving ugly patches.

So, I figured I had a couple issues to correct: 1) It was Behr. 2) I used masking tape, not blue "painters" tape.

Knowing I'd want to touch up the ceiling and put another coat on (I figured Behr needed a 3rd), I bought the blue tape and taped off the SW Harmony-covered walls.

Removed tape almost immediately after touching up ceiling... and... it took with it maybe 20-30% of the SW paint underneath it too (I say 20-30% because maybe slightly less than the ceiling).

Suffice it to say, to touch up the top of the wall, I got on my step ladder and with a new brush verrrrrrry carefully touched up the walls.

This problem didn't happen when I taped off the soffit/ceiling (no new drywall/joint compound there, but I did prime the soffit with Zinsser), and it didn't happen on other areas of fresh drywall/primed with Zinsser.

SO... why did this happen on the joints? I love Zinsser 123, is that the problem? Doesn't seem so because other areas didn't have it... was it a problem with my drywall finish not being smooth/flat? The tape underneath the compound and primer it somehow messing with it?

Again, I fixed it using another method... but this has me stumped and would like to know for the future (besides, I'm considering crown moulding anyway now ). If you need more detail on what I did in steps, etc, ask away...

Last edited by LeviDIY; 10-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
(the original)

Rewards Points: 570

You probably didn't let the paint cure long enough before taping it. It can take days or weeks, depending on climate, before you can safely tape it. The primer cures much faster than any paint, that's why it didn't pull off as well.

In the end, it pays to take the time to learn to freehand it. Sometimes, on uneven areas or in corners, a flat art brush comes in handy.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

I was kinda thinking that... and you're probably right. The only thing is that in some areas with the same paint it was peeling, and the only difference was underneath the areas it peeled was joint tape/compound UNDER the primer... could that affect paint drying time?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
NAV

Rewards Points: 75

here is a tip for next time.....DONT USE TAPE

if you figure the time spent fixing the problems you had you could have taken your time to cut a strait line in half the time it took you to fix it.

and the last guy was probably right, the paint takes up to 30 days to cure.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Toe

Rewards Points: 10

Can you explain the comment about HD paint? Forum software doesn't let me search on two-letter words, and I'm not clear on what you are saying (nor have I read these forums extensively, obviously).

Thanks.
Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Can you explain the comment about HD paint?
A certain big box home store, you might call a depot
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
New Home Owner

Rewards Points: 25

I painted my basement wood paneling with Zinsser 123 then a coat of Benjamin Moore latex. The next day I put on blue painters tape. Took it off two days later and it didn't take any paint with it.

What I learned on this forum was to use the correct tape. Check out this picture.

The one on the left with the orange centre is actually made for taping walls after just one day of dry time. I used it and it worked very well.

Maybe give that a try next time.
Brandon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #8

Brandon - for some reason I can't view the picture (probably on my end, not yours) - can you describe the product? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
New Home Owner

Rewards Points: 25

Try this link:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Products/One/

Scotch-Blue™ Painter’s Tape for Delicate Surfaces – 2080

Designed specifically for delicate surfaces such as freshly painted walls, Scotch-Blue™ Painter’s Tape for Delicate Surfaces (with the orange core) is ideal for achieving super-sharp paint lines on smooth surfaces. It is also great for decorative painting projects like striping, faux-finishing, and painting on accent walls.
Brandon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDIY View Post
A certain big box home store, you might call a depot
Ah, gotchya. Didn't even occur to me, because I always just ignore their paint section. Guess I just innately knew not to touch their paint.
Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #11

FYI I found a great price on blue masking tape at Pac Tape site
ksunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksunder View Post
FYI I found a great price on blue masking tape at Pac Tape site

??
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #13
(the original)

Rewards Points: 570

Hey, chris, I searched it and came up with an outfit thats hustles damaged freight and factory rejects by the case (and no brand name on the blue tape)....think I'll pass
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Levi did you wipe down the walls with a damp rag? What may have happened could have been residue mud dust that likes to stay in corners. If you look at the back side of the paint chip is it white and looks like confectionary sugar?

I think you know the rest of your problems here...tape, Behr........

Good luck on the fix
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:54 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
Hey, chris, I searched it and came up with an outfit thats hustles damaged freight and factory rejects by the case (and no brand name on the blue tape)....think I'll pass

thanks

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint tape peeling, painting