Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

Marine Varnish??

I just refinished two doors to my house and they look fantastic. I have had several discussions with a few people who have told me I should of used a marine grade varnish on them and unfortunately I didn't. I used Minwax Indoor/Outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane clear satin. I put 3 coats and they look great but I want them to last in this South Louisiana weather. Would I have a problem putting a few coats of marine grade varnish over the existing finish? If it is doable, what varnish do you recommend?

Geaux4Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Marine Varnish??

Hey Geaux4Tigers,

Save your energy. If the doors look good now, then get some mileage from your efforts and leave them alone. When they begin to show signs of weathering, then apply a couple of coats of the marine spar, and yes the marine spar would have been the proper coating but what’s done is done. Applying coats over the Helmsman won’t correct the situation, not to say the Helmsman is incorrect. My personal choice of marine spar is McCloskey’s Man-O-War, GREAT PRODUCT.
Don’t worry, be happy.
Steve

www.handpaintedbysteve.com

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #3

Marine Varnish??

You're fine the way it is!

Marine varnishes aren't that different anyway. Not enough to make a difference on a door.

Stay with the same stuff though!! Different varnishes expand/contract slightly differently, possibly causing cracking. Don't let a couple years go by b4 lightly sanding and doing another couple coats!!!

>>> This kind of schedule KEEPS YOU AHEAD OF THE DETERIORATION!

How much sun/rain do the doors directly get?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #4

Marine Varnish??

did you seal all edges?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

Marine Varnish??

Thanks guys. I feel a little better now. These doors get about 30% direct sunlight a day. I sealed the bottom only not the top of the door with the Varnish. I hope this is ok.?? Should I seal the top as well?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

Marine Varnish??

Hey Geaux4Tigers,
With the amount of different sealers and varnishes for wood it can get pretty confusing which is the right one for the job. Although the varnish you chose for your doors is exactly what you needed. A Spar varnish is actually the same thing as a marine varnish and it actually gets its name from the spars on sail boats and the decks in which the spare spars are stored. The reason it worked so well is it remained waterproof and UV proof to protect the wooden ships, all while having to remain flexible to prevent cracking and peeling as they flexed. Well anyways like others had stated dependent upon which direction itís facing or how much weathering it actually experiences will affect how often it will require a light sanding and another coat or two. Glad to hear the doors turned out the way they did and I wouldnít worry about applying another coat of anything until you think they need it down the road. Anyway glad to hear they turned out nice and the even better news you donít have any additional work to do.
Jeff
HDwetPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Marine Varnish??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux4Tigers View Post
Thanks guys. I feel a little better now. These doors get about 30% direct sunlight a day. I sealed the bottom only not the top of the door with the Varnish. I hope this is ok.?? Should I seal the top as well?
Hello again, just missed you Glad we were able to help.
Yea 30% direct sunlight isnít something Iíd be too worried about but just be sure to you keep an eye on them and apply additional coats when needed. As for sealing the top of the door, I do suggest you throw at least a couple light coats up top, pretty good rule of thumb when doing any wood work that can come in contact with moisture is to seal all 6 sides. Again glad we were able to help if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks, Jeff
HDwetPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #8

Marine Varnish??

Thanks HD