Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
STAFF

Share |

Marine Enamel vs House Enamel

What is the difference between house vs Marine enamel paint. I know the Marine is around $23 a QUART. Will the Marine cover as much as the house enamel. I can't seem to find much information about this online. The application would be exposed to all types of weather and rain.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might dig online for the spec sheets for the brand of marine enamel you have in mind.

Somewhat like porch and floor paints, marine enamels tend to come with either urethane (in alkyd oil based) or epoxy (water based acrylics) reinforcements. Some, like hull paints are sometimes even two part systems. There are nano silicon marine paints now too and of course anti-fouling teflon products. Some have inhibitors that are supposed to keep barnacles from attaching, mold from growing etc. Of course there are those with rust converters or inhibitors.

They will probably not get you the same coverage as household paint products but if your situation really calls for extreme weather resistance they are worth considering I guess. Your color choices may be limited although there are tons of factory colors.

What are you trying to paint or protect? A porch and floor or patio paint, like Benjamin Moore's, might be a less expensive choice?

Here are the specs for Sherwin Williams marine coatings.

http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/coatings/categories/template.jsp?N=23&Ns=p_name|0||p_sku_display_order

Last edited by user1007; 05-19-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
STAFF

My stars that is a bunch of info and some of it is way over my head. I plan to use a good enamel and canvas for a roofing system for my camper. I had thought about using Gaco roof coating over the enamel but now I am not sure I will, I may just go with the marine enamel and canvas. I appreciate the information.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote