Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Maralind

Question....How many shades different should a paint differ when the only thing different is going from Eggshell to Flat?

Maralind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Maralind

If the color machine is properly set up and maintained, the color should remain constant. However, depending on the lighting conditions, a flat may appear dark or an eggshell light.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #3

Maralind

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure how the color changed so much. Initially I gave the contractor the lid from the paint can of the color I wanted but was eggshell - same color only changing from eggshell to flat and the formula was printed and adhered to the lid. The color he came back with wasn't off by a shade or two - it was a totally different color. The original color was a grayish olive green and the color he came back with was a tan. He claims that he had them mix the color formula that was on the lid and if it is the wrong color....oh well ... not his problem. If he has to have the painters paint it again he'll have to charge me. He says that I should I realized that it was the wrong color before the whole room was painted, which would have been good but we're in Houston and it's humid and the paint doesn't really dry all that fast so one doesn't know what the color will actually look like till it's dry.
Frankly my thoughts were - shouldn't the painters have realized that there was a difference when they were painting over the original color since it is much lighter? Who knows...well one thing I know is that I've got about 6 gallons of paint to put on my walls. Thanks for your reply though.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Maralind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maralind View Post
Question....How many shades different should a paint differ when the only thing different is going from Eggshell to Flat?
None
No "shades" different at all
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Maralind

I wonder if that was indeed the original lid on that can? Cheers
cobracdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,028

Maralind

Honestly it sounds like either the paint store messed up the color or your painter got rid of some old paint kicking around. I just did a hallway over the summer in an eggshell and the livingroom it lands in with a flat. Both were the same color and look exactly the same. They should also put a dap of the paint from each can on each lid right on the label. That will usually catch any mistake the mixer may make.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #7

Maralind

Thanks everyone for your responses. After seeing the difference I took a piece of drywall and had one of the painters brush some of the paint on it, then painted some of the paint from the correct paint that was Eggshell and painted it beside it. There was a HUGE difference. Original was greenish grey and what they were painting was a definite tan. I do know that I did not have any painting being done in my house that was tan. But because I picked up the lid that was on the paint can with the green paint I was told in so many words that it was my problem - they only got the paint from the lid that I gave them, which I would add had the correct color of green on the underside of the lid. The painter asked why I didn't check on the color sooner - I wonder if his painters are all color blind that they can't see the difference between green/grey and tan. The painter refused to repaint and I surely didn't want to live with tan paint so at 65 years old I climbed up that wobbly ladder and painted as high as I could (the walls are 17' high). I informed the painter that I had bought the paint and of how much I had painted and that he should have his young guys finish the higher areas. If I had more time to investigate and argue the point - trust me I would've, but the shortest distance between the two points was to just do what I could myself. Problem is that we still don't know what went wrong. The paint store claims they weren't wrong, the painter claims they weren't wrong and all I did was bend over and pick up the lid off the paint can - so I guess that makes me at fault. But again I thank all of you for your input....