Many Layers Of Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

many layers of paint

We recently bought a house and are re-painting-- as I began to sand down the old gloss or semi-gloss trim and doors, it just peeled right off exposing the layer beneath-- it appears that the existing layer was applied without first sanding the previous one. Now I'm wondering if I need to completely remove the existing layer before applying my newest layer. If so, (and gosh, I hope not!) how should that be done??

Advertisement

BushFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #2

Question

many layers of paint

I believe there are actually two layers peeling off, and under those two layers of latex paint may be oil-based paint. What to do about that?
Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

many layers of paint

At the very least, you really need to get back down to a layer you can trust so hopefully the two layers you mention will come off when you sand or with a really sharp quality paint scraper. Then, if you suspect you have oil based paint, use a good quality oil-based alkyd primer such as Benjamin Moore Fresh Start. You can paint over it with either oil or latex paint.

I know it is a bit of work but you may want to think about stripping all the paint and starting over with the original surface. Some of the newer gel strippers are safer and more effective, will remover multiple layers at once, and the whole process goes faster than you might think. You might be happier in the long run.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,070

many layers of paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
At the very least, you really need to get back down to a layer you can trust so hopefully the two layers you mention will come off when you sand or with a really sharp quality paint scraper. Then, if you suspect you have oil based paint, use a good quality oil-based alkyd primer such as Benjamin Moore Fresh Start. You can paint over it with either oil or latex paint.

I know it is a bit of work but you may want to think about stripping all the paint and starting over with the original surface. Some of the newer gel strippers are safer and more effective, will remover multiple layers at once, and the whole process goes faster than you might think. You might be happier in the long run.
I agree
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #5

many layers of paint

Thank you for your advice! I am going to look into that. . . I know I would be happier in the long run, however, it's hard to get things done with a 2 year old and a newborn-- so we'll see what actually materializes. . . . Thanks again!! Most helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
I agree