Lower Roller Cover Quality At Big Box Stores? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Lower Roller Cover Quality at Big Box Stores?

I've used Purdy White Dove roller covers in the past and had no problem, going along with paying the higher price over the generic covers to get a better finish. Lately, the White Dove covers I got at a big box store were terrible, fraying at the end and leaving ridges constantly.

I'm aware of other good products going downhill once they were in the big box stores and lower cost became the primary focus. Has this happened to this item? Did I just get a bad batch? Or is Purdy simply going downhill? Will I get a better cover, even it it's Purdy, if I go to a true paint store?

Thanks.

Advertisement

WallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,568

I haven't used them as much lately, but I buy them occasionally on sale, and haven't had any problems with the last batch. I've mostly converted to microfibers. I probably don't have much use for the White Doves any more since I have basically 2 kinds of jobs I do - "nice", and "don't care much". For the "don't care much" I'm not using microfibers, and there's no use spending for the White Doves, so I buy whatever brand that has a beveled edge and doesn't shed (but that's not always easy to find either, which is why I still buy the White Doves on sale.)

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 518

white doves have been my go to for years ,lately I have been getting bad ones .Its hard to explain but they would not hold a beveled or for that matter a straight edge leaving a wavy line .I would try to comb it back but in a few minuets it would go back. The good thing is it made me switch to Purdy fine finish micro covers .You couldn't give me the doves anymore. The doves im talking about were bought a s/w .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 5,212

I've used white doves for years----Yesterday my assistant told me not to buy them--he has had shedding problem lately and wanted Wooster roller covers---
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 18

OK, thanks everyone.

I switched to Wooster yesterday and had good results. It sounds like White Dove has gone down in quality, perhaps to make the microfiber product their lead item.
WallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,568

Sounds like I won't be buying them anymore either! I have always liked Wooster products.

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote