Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |
Talking

Looking for painting tools

I am trying to get a painting tool box started up for my personal use and would like to get what i will need on a slow bases do to money concerns.

I know i will need a ladder but currently do not have room for one( just moved into a 2 bed apartment frist of year due to house falling apart and just went up for foreclouser a couple days back) i have currently as for as tools go
mr. Long arm 0936p extension pole, metal paint tray with plastic liners, roller handle with a wooster flat & stain medium surface roller cover 3/8 " pile 9 " roller, paint strainers, stir sticks, a nice selection of sand paper, shur line trimline edger,mr. Long arm 0470 trim smart paint edger w replacement pad, mr. Long arm 0880 corner painter, mr. Long arm 0650 brush holder, wooster 2" z1293 pro 30 "lindeck" brush, and a wooster 2" pro classic brush and a few small odd shap rollers, i also have the work force 359-116 drywall finishing kit wal board pole sander head, 3m medium and fine dry wall screens, any thing else any body can suggust would be greatly helpful.
Thank you
mike 2350

mike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

[quote=mike2350;710033]I am trying to get a painting tool box started up for my personal use and would like to get what i will need on a slow bases do to money concerns.

I know i will need a ladder but currently do not have room for one( just moved into a 2 bed apartment frist of year due to house falling apart and just went up for foreclouser a couple days back) i have currently as for as tools go
mr. Long arm 0936p extension pole, metal paint tray with plastic liners, roller handle with a wooster flat & stain medium surface roller cover 3/8 " pile 9 " roller, paint strainers, stir sticks, a nice selection of sand paper,

shur line trimline edger This item is a waste of space since you are now in an apartment, mr. Long arm 0470 trim smart paint edger w replacement pad, Another waste of space for you, sorry dear, mr. Long arm 0880 corner painter, mr. Long arm 0650 brush holder, , two more on the wasted space bar.

wooster 2" z1293 pro 30 "lindeck" brush, and a wooster 2" pro classic brush , Not really sure what those brushes are, Wooster is not a bad manufacturer but I prefer Prudy brushes. IMHO a 2 1/2 inch sash brush is my major brush for cutting in ceilings and corners and at the baseboards. Those trim pads just do not do the job. If you look under jsheridan, he has some really wonderful blogs about painting. I have been painting over 25 years and I learned so much stuff from him, . There are way many good painters on this site, stick around you will learn lots, or just do a few searches and see the great information you will find. Some treads are like soap operas if you are ever bored.

and a few small odd shap rollers, i also have the work force 359-116 drywall finishing kit wal board pole sander head, 3m medium and fine dry wall screens, any thing else any body can suggust would be greatly helpful.

Where is your putty knife, caulk gun, 5 in 1 tool, and rags?????????

Now I will get some flack for this, but I like working out of a 5 gallon bucket with a screen, others around here use trays (18" ones, mind you).

I am sure I will think of more, but it is Miller Time.

I tried to do one of those wonderful posts that highlite the new info in red and just did not get it right. (I will do a search as I recommend to others, lol.)

Mickey

Last edited by m1951mm; 08-18-2011 at 03:45 PM.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

[quote=m1951mm;710185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2350 View Post
I am trying to get a painting tool box started up for my personal use and would like to get what i will need on a slow bases do to money concerns.

mr. Long arm 0936p extension pole, metal paint tray with plastic liners, roller handle with a wooster flat & stain medium surface roller cover 3/8 " pile 9 " roller, paint strainers, stir sticks, a nice selection of sand paper,

shur line trimline edger This item is a waste of space since you are now in an apartment, mr. Long arm 0470 trim smart paint edger w replacement pad, Another waste of space for you, sorry dear, mr. Long arm 0880 corner painter, mr. Long arm 0650 brush holder, , two more on the wasted space bar.

wooster 2" z1293 pro 30 "lindeck" brush, and a wooster 2" pro classic brush , Not really sure what those brushes are, Wooster is not a bad manufacturer but I prefer Prudy brushes. IMHO a 2 1/2 inch sash brush is my major brush for cutting in ceilings and corners and at the baseboards. Those trim pads just do not do the job. If you look under jsheridan, he has some really wonderful blogs about painting. I have been painting over 25 years and I learned so much stuff from him, . There are way many good painters on this site, stick around you will learn lots, or just do a few searches and see the great information you will find. Some treads are like soap operas if you are ever bored.

and a few small odd shap rollers, i also have the work force 359-116 drywall finishing kit wal board pole sander head, 3m medium and fine dry wall screens, any thing else any body can suggust would be greatly helpful.

Where is your putty knife, caulk gun, 5 in 1 tool, and rags?????????

Now I will get some flack for this, but I like working out of a 5 gallon bucket with a screen, others around here use trays (18" ones, mind you).

I am sure I will think of more, but it is Miller Time.

I tried to do one of those wonderful posts that highlite the new info in red and just did not get it right. (I will do a search as I recommend to others, lol.)

Mickey
there you go
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (08-18-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

some of you have been telling some of my items i already have is a waste of space in my tool box since i am currently living in an apartment but i am hoping to be with the next year and a half back into a different house which i then need these items , the wooster burshes i have are the 2" angled sash brushes i think one of them is for oil and the other is for latex, the drywll kit i have has a eight inch mud tray, hand sander, and three putty knives ( i think they are a 1", 2" and 4"??), i should have a 5 in 1 tool floating around in here just have not found it to put were belongs, as for rags go i am working on it in a slow way since money is tight as you folks are saying to me right now, none of you have suggusted drop cloths which i am also working on.

i also when i have time help my church out on differnt projects they get involed in so some of these tools will be for this as well ( used to have a group of men in the church that would help out the single mothers, people on disablity, and so forth with home reair, car repair, mowing, ect).

any thing else let me know thanks again
mike2350
mike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

The things she said were a waste of space is because they don't work well and are no replacement for actual painting skills like how to handle a brush.
As far as what you need- get it when you need it, and you won't buy stuff that you won't use.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Also- if you go to a real paint store and not a box store- where they deal with real painters and not just weekend warriors- they'll show you the good stuff. A quality paint store , as all pros know, is a valuable resource.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
The things she said were a waste of space is because they don't work well and are no replacement for actual painting skills like how to handle a brush.
As far as what you need- get it when you need it, and you won't buy stuff that you won't use.
I do believe the she is a he
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Also- if you go to a real paint store and not a box store- where they deal with real painters and not just weekend warriors- they'll show you the good stuff. A quality paint store , as all pros know, is a valuable resource.
And how many more times must we say this!

Your mud pan is too short. You need to pick up a wider drywall knife or two, especially if you need to skim coat.

Those painting pad things should be dumped on someone less informed than you on Craig's List. Use the money to get an extra sash brush.

2-1/2" to 3" sash brushes were the heart of my paint carry around. I prefer Purdy but Wooster works. Wooster makes a little stubby things that is great if you are too lazy to cut off a handle. I found them great to put in the hands of a tiny kid that insisted on helping once in awhile.

You had better learn the difference between those for oil and latex though. Generally speaking, if yours are good brushes, the natural bristled black ones are for oil-based and the beige with nice trimmed white at the ends for latex.

I found scrapers of different kinds but always super sharp to be invaluable. My contour scraper set was one of the best investments I ever made in prepping old houses for paint.

Get some plastic razor blades. I never got used to using a 400 in one tool much but do have paint can keys and scrapers of different types in my carry around kit. Of course it has sandpaper, sanding blocks and so forth. I always kept a cheap mini-socket and screwdriver set in my paint tool box thing so I do not have to hunt for something to get the coverplate for a cable connection off. Of course if I were ever able to paint again I would say screw it and roll right over the switch and outlet covers.

In my opinion, there is still nothing better than a heavy canvas tarp but you live in an apartment and a stack of nice ones will take up a closet. At least buy heavy plastic you can move around without tearing when you need tarps.

Sample size shampoo and brush combs of course. It was kind of a joke at my paint store since they knew I was so fussy about caring for my brushes. They would sneak the things in with every order. I bought as many or more as anybody else but mine did perform better through their lifetime.

As has been mentioned on this site before, over and over, the tools of the trade are surprisingly simple and have stood the test of time maybe better than those of any other trade. Minute you turn to gimmicks you are throwing money away. Good tools make all the difference in the world though.

I don't know what to tell you about ladders but to remind you they remain the number one source of household accidents. Gamble on a cheap thing if you must. I personally would seek out one to borrow and rent though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dennisdeems (09-28-2012)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

And do not be daunted. I was divinely inspired to be able, even as an infant, to pick up either a sash brush or pinstriping brush and just draw straight lines or cut in where needed.

I feel sorry for others on this site who had to learn the skills through practice.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Waiting to see the response to this one professor Chris!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

Hmm. Crossdresser? We are talking about Mickey- M1951? Maybe she will set you straight..
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #12

Good Morning Chris. I am the person that said those things were a waste of space in the first place. You even helped me figure out how to post in different colors. Glad to see you are keeping such a close eye on things Chris, (hmmmmm sounds like a girls name??????????? Is that short for Christine?)

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51

Last edited by m1951mm; 08-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote