Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking for painting tips for interior walls

Hi, I am getting ready to paint our great room and kitchen. We initially built our house and I painted all the walls with paint from lowes or home depot 6 years ago. I am now "upgrading" and have purchased Sherwin Williams Cashmere. When painting in the past I used the "W" technique, but from a few comments it seems this is not the best way to paint. So looking for tips on rolling walls, cutting in at the ceiling, best roller and brush for Cashmere paint, any tips at all would be welcomed. Trying to improve my paint job the second time around!!

mommytomyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

With my (admittedly limited) experience with the Cashmere line, I'd have to say it is an excellent quality paint
Any improvements to the product results would be in application
By that I mean don't skimp in the applicators (use Purdy White Doves or better for rolling, Purdy XLs or Woosters or Coronas for brush work) and/or technique (lay it on, and move on, don't try and squeeze out every last drop from the sleeve, and don't "over-brush/roll")

Good stuff that Cashmere...

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytomyboys View Post
Hi, I am getting ready to paint our great room and kitchen. We initially built our house and I painted all the walls with paint from lowes or home depot 6 years ago. I am now "upgrading" and have purchased Sherwin Williams Cashmere. When painting in the past I used the "W" technique, but from a few comments it seems this is not the best way to paint. So looking for tips on rolling walls, cutting in at the ceiling, best roller and brush for Cashmere paint, any tips at all would be welcomed. Trying to improve my paint job the second time around!!

Because paint is somewhat dependent on the previous coat for its attributes you ideally want all your coats to be done with quality products.

If I were covering a lower quality paint, I would almost certainly prime before applying finish coats.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #4

the color you're going over and the new color you're using really will say a lot about if primer is needed. if you're painting a lighter color over a darker one there is a good chance either the color will be off when it dries or you will need 2+ coats. with the 25% off SW has on paints it may be worth getting a gallon of primer even to lightly coat the walls. besides adhesion, you'll have a neutral base so the tint will look just like the color card
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I'm painting a darker color over a pretty light cream color. I hadn't thought about priming. Would a coat of primer and a coat of paint be any different than just doing 2 coats of paint? Also, the walls are a smooth texture, so what size roller does the best job?
mommytomyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #6

if you're going darker over lighter, personally i wouldn't prime since 2 coats would most likely give you perfect coverage. smooth walls? a 3/8 roller should be fine.

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint tips, roller, sherwin williams cashmere