Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for painting technique suggestion

So i own a small night club in Pennsylvania and we are doing some remodeling and im looking for some suggestions to create a modern looking paint job for the walls. Right now they are covered with this wallpaper that we dont care for and are going to paint over it. The ceiling is black. And there is a lot of black painted wooden wanescoting throughout the facility. So there is pretty much a blank canvas since the only other real prevalent color is black.

Im looking for something that will look modern and fresh. I dont want it to necessarily look abstract or anything like that. I dont want to fling paint on the wall or anything. But id like to do a little more that just roll on beige paint or something.

Can someone suggest like some painting technique that might really stand out? Or maybe some product that you've used before that would make an impression?

Or pretty much any other advice. I really dont know much about painting other than the basics but am eager to try something new to achieve a cool look.

Thanks
Marty

mjkelly93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Some simple faux painting techniques include rag rolling and sponging. Rag rolling is one of my favorites as it gives the look of crushed velvet. Apply a base coat and rag roll over it with a slightly lighter or slightly darker color. Ragging is easy to learn. You can "rag off" or "rag on".

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Sounds cool. I never heard of it. Ill have to check youtube for those terms.

Whats faux painting?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

And endless topic of infinite variety. get googling my friend.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Hahah i like that answer.

I found this video: Where she is ragging off the paint. Looks cool.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

There is a book series entitled something like "Recipes for Walls" that offers some of the best explanation of basic faux finishing I have found. Your library may have other resources too. I think this is one instance where online images may not serve you so well. This is not a bad book either.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Paint-Effe.../dp/1552977188

Please don't paint over wallpaper. It shouts tacky and I don't care like nothing else. It will not take you that long to get rid of it.

What is lighting like in your place? The description you offered seems rather dark to me.

Have you thought of consulting with an interior designer or color consultant about all this? Most are more than reasonable and ID people often work off commissions of things they buy for you. I think you would enjoy the experience. They will have access to things you cannot easily purchase on your own too.

Finally, and with admitted bias, faux finishing can get away from you in a hurry and end up looking out of place, fififoofoo and really crappy. It is time consuming and you might want to bring someone in who does faux finishing. I am not saying it is rocket science but I never had the patience for it. I've seen too much overboard stuff way out of context for the space it was in.

Have you considered papering again with something more contemporary?

Last edited by user1007; 04-18-2012 at 07:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

We're not so certain about removing the wallpaper. There are at least 3 layers of wallpaper on the walls from previous owners. I dont know if removing all 3 layers will be that simple.

We were going to wallpaper again over the wallpaper but to save money we decided to paint it. Plus, im seeing some fantastic looking paint jobs with this faux finishing.

Its a little tricky in my area to reach like interior designers and stuff. Im not in some major city or anything.

As far as lighting, we have recessed throughout the club and then neons around the bar. We will be adding about a thousand dollars worth of LED strip lighting to create accent lighting for the black ceiling that im going to run through my DMX board, over the dance floors.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelly93 View Post
We're not so certain about removing the wallpaper. There are at least 3 layers of wallpaper on the walls from previous owners. I dont know if removing all 3 layers will be that simple.

We were going to wallpaper again over the wallpaper but to save money we decided to paint it. Plus, im seeing some fantastic looking paint jobs with this faux finishing.

Its a little tricky in my area to reach like interior designers and stuff. Im not in some major city or anything.

As far as lighting, we have recessed throughout the club and then neons around the bar. We will be adding about a thousand dollars worth of LED strip lighting to create accent lighting for the black ceiling that im going to run through my DMX board, over the dance floors.

You might be surprised. If the initial job was prepped properly it will all come off fairly easily. If you paint over it, most likely you will have a nightmare on you're hands and the saving money part of you're thinking will come back to bite you on the a$$

STRIP THE PAPER
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Where are you in PA?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

We're in Hazleton PA.

It was professionally installed but the lower layer could be as old as like 1970.

Whats involved in removing wallpaper? How do you actually remove it?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelly93 View Post
We're in Hazleton PA.

It was professionally installed but the lower layer could be as old as like 1970.

Whats involved in removing wallpaper? How do you actually remove it?

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

You are like an hour and a half from me