Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Looking for opinion... Does this require more stripping? (w/ images)

I've been working on and off removing stain from my mother's cedar sided house. Mostly off. Last time I was there I spent a lot of time and a lot of EFC-38 removing stain and mold/mildew from the shed. Since then, someone decided to spray the cleaner on the mold in the front of the house in the hopes that it would save me some time during my next visit. To the best of my knowledge the cleaner had been applied and reapplied periodically for approximately 2-3 hours before rinsing with a garden hose...

So earlier today I applied more EFC-38 and let it dwell for a little over an hour (keeping it wet) before rinsing with a pressure washer. The rinse water eventually ran clean, but I'm unsure about applying new stain when I can clearly see the difference between what I did today and what was done last week to remove the mold. This is the last image I have and it was taken before the wood had fully dried. The difference is actually not quite as bad now, but it is still definitely noticeable...

Once the stain is effectively removed I will be applying Citralic and then staining with A-C semi-transparent cedar.
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions regarding my next step.

EDIT: Here's another shot I took this morning after the wood had a chance to dry another 14 hours. I'm tempted to go ahead and stain after the Citralic but would really like to hear other's thoughts on the matter. Another issue is that I found out last night that the pressure washer had to be returned this morning and it's not clear when another will be available in town.

Thanks much,
Mark

Last edited by machouinard; 10-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
machouinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,150

From the looks of the pics I would say you are good to go..........of course I am looking at pics and not seeing firsthand. Looks like the dirt and mildew are gone from the siding. The discolored areas at the bottom and where the front porch roof area is, look like areas where the rainwater has done it's thing. Those areas MAY present a problem in terms of looking a bit different in color/tone with the SP stain. There's really not much more you can do.......the prep seems to be complete........time for some stain but if you could start in an inconspicuous area in back, that would help you see how the stain is aborbing into the wood before you go gung ho on the rest of the house.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
machouinard (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't spoil all the prep with something like a crappy Behr stain at this point.

Something with a bit more opacity, like a semi-solid would even out any discoloration differences.

I agree that I cannot tell for sure from photos whether you are good to go but the surfaces look like they are ready from the pics.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Thanks, Sdsester.

Already have the Armstrong-Clark semi-transp cedar, so it's a moot point now!

I was originally going to go with Ready Seal, but a friend at Sherwin Williams got me a 60% discount on A-C.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machouinard View Post
Thanks, Sdsester.

Already have the Armstrong-Clark semi-transp cedar, so it's a moot point now!

I was originally going to go with Ready Seal, but a friend at Sherwin Williams got me a 60% discount on A-C.
I am sure that will work out alright and if not you can always switch to a semi-solid or solid next time.

Not to nag but you might want to update your profile with basic geographic information so we know where you are.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

sds just wants to stalk you...
JKidding!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
sds just wants to stalk you...
JKidding!
Bubba. I was born in Redwing, MN and if this place were not so special to me I would move to Minneapolis/St. Paul and then start stalking people to take to Frog Island (real frogs not Canadian second language speakers) or invite some for a quiet last weekend alive ice fishing. We could read a Stephen King novel near the fire.

Your comment just put you on the top of my A list when I turn stalker. Just remember BJ. 10,000 lakes. Many well suited to chains and concrete block shoes. How long did you say you could hold your breath under water?

Last edited by user1007; 10-03-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Hours brudda. I AM the walleye.
Walrus- forgetaboutit.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Hey sds,

Are you still part of that network of people who will stay here through the end to take care of pets not allowed in the rapture stuff? I know the rapture didn't happen for you as planned, but I imagine you just had the date wrong, no?

And who is FSM, and what would he do?

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I'll post some final images after it's finished. Which reminds me, I need to post some finished pics of the deck y'all helped me with last year. Oy, my mind is like a sieve sometimes!

Last edited by machouinard; 10-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
The discolored areas at the bottom and where the front porch roof area is, look like areas where the rainwater has done it's thing.
Actually at the bottom is from where the snow builds up and by the porch is where the icicles grow all winter. Need to fix that for mom sometime, too.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Something with a bit more opacity, like a semi-solid would even out any discoloration differences.
So, in your opinion, do you think those differences will surely be seen using a semi-transparent stain? I guess now is the time for me to make any changes. The A-C was a steal, but they had it in stock. I can always return/exchange. I only went with the semi-trans because that's what they used on mom's neighbor's house and she liked it a lot.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machouinard View Post
Hey sds,

Are you still part of that network of people who will stay here through the end to take care of pets not allowed in the rapture stuff? I know the rapture didn't happen for you as planned, but I imagine you just had the date wrong, no?
I am the grandson of a minister who built churches and congregations throughout Minnesota and at times in bordering states. Of course I had no choice but to turn into a Godless heathen that gives nothing back to nobody. Never. And I have been known to speak in the tongues the Devil provided me ever so often. Never starting a string with the too cliche F bomb though.

I had forgot about posting about the pet care after the rapture. Does the link still work? If not how big is your cat or dog? How old? Fat or on Science Diet. I could estimate how much it would take to feed it when you ascend. I know I will be left behind. Your cat does not have rabies or anything right? You are not just using religion to unload a pet on a sap that would take one in trouble?

Yes, I have missed calculating the end of the World. I thought Y2K would do the developed world in. As you know, another ancient calendar was found in Mexico just last year. 6,000 years old, it had a velvet painting of Elvis on the back.

It could still happen but as a believer on some levels. God will not suck some up to heaven and especially not based on contributions to evangelical and fanatical offering plates from any religions. And heaven has room for the souls of pets and even dead trees I hope.

Meanwhile, if you want insurance? Please advance funds to my Bank of Nigeria account and I promise whatever pet you have will be well taken care of for the rest of its life.

Do post again soon. I think I spotted a killer asteroid those paid to spot them missed.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

November 23 at 3AM Eastern Standard Time is the new date all I know have agreed on as the new end of the World. I know this screws up Christmas for those Christian but at least you do not have to spend a mortage payment on gift wrap.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
(the original)

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
November 23 at 3AM Eastern Standard Time is the new date all I know have agreed on as the new end of the World. I know this screws up Christmas for those Christian but at least you do not have to spend a mortage payment on gift wrap.
Cool! Day after Thanksgiving. My last day will be one of gluttony and football. Works for me.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar siding, efc-38, stain removal