Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #1

Share |

Living Room Colors

I just bought a new sofa and loveseat in sage green. I'm wanting to paint my living room a color that will work with this. I'm looking for a quiet look. Would it be too much to paint the walls sage on the top with chair rail and white on the bottom? I looked online for some decorating tips, but didn't find any pictures to help me.
Thanks for you ideas.

Lu Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Haste Makes Waste

Living Room Colors

I'd go with a neutral, but not white (ugh). I'd probably use two different shades of the same color with the chair rail separating them. What color is the chair rail and woodwork? I think you need another color to add contrast with the green sofa.

Just did three rooms in Sherwin WIlliams Biltmore Buff...medium light, soft, pale color that seems to change from the pale yellow of a stick of butter to a soft pale gold. Sometimes looks an almond color. It changes with the interior and exterior lighting and looks great! Will blend with most anything. I use greens, terracotta, blue and beige with it and it blends very well. My neighbor liked it so well she's doing two houses in it; one being decorated with greens and the other with burgandy, navy and dk green. Funny thing, it was the 5th sample I choose (not such a pretty color on the chip) but realized instantly it was the right color after putting the sample on the wall. Good luck with your choice.

You can find paint colors from anywhere (including cheap,yucky paint); the good thing is that you can take any color chip to a good paint store and they can mix that for you. Stick with quality paints only.

Last edited by saggdevil; 10-16-2009 at 12:41 PM.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Living Room Colors

Try one of the virtual painting software options available free on the websites of the major paint companies. I use the Benjamin Moore one because I use their paint the most and theirs lets you import your own photos. Sherwin Williams and others have simulators also.

www.easyrgb.com will convert any pixel color to a close paint chip name and number in the major paint lines too if that helps.

You can either import your own photos or select from those that have that are often close. Once you find colors you like, buy a small sample of the paint to try it out before painting everything if you want.

Anything in an earth or natural tone pallet will probably look nice with the new furniture. I would not paint in the same green though. A basic color wheel and a quick familiarization with color relationships and schemes will help you out too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote