A Little Help Would Be Tremendously Appreciated - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

a little help would be tremendously appreciated


hello, i have bought a 150 watt halogen lamp for my sleeping room, because (i don't want to get involved with cfl lamps) the lamp will be positioned at around 40 cm (15 inches) from the ceiling, the ceiling is reinforced concrete with normal lead-free white paint, can the heat generated from such a lamp heat up the ceiling too much and make it release toxic gases that can damage brain cells? and also can such a position for such a lamp be harmful in any way ?

Advertisement

beareroftheligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,651
Rewards Points: 2,616
Default

a little help would be tremendously appreciated


Actually, your bigger problem is going to be from the EMI in the wiring due to the high current in the wire.

The amount of EMI in a wire is directly proportional to the current passing through it. So with a 150W lamp, you have a little over 1A of current if your using 120Vac. If you 230Vac, then a little over 1/2A which is not as much EMI.

Another issue is the ozone created from the surface heat of the lamp. A halogen bulb operates at over 600 deg C in order the Halogen gas to work properly with the tungsten filament.

Then you have the issue of the greater mercury emissions due to needing to generate more electricity for that bulb vs the lower wattage CFL or LED.

Now, if your worried about toxic gases you might want to do a test for Radon.

Advertisement

__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
beareroftheligh (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

a little help would be tremendously appreciated


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Actually, your bigger problem is going to be from the EMI in the wiring due to the high current in the wire.

The amount of EMI in a wire is directly proportional to the current passing through it. So with a 150W lamp, you have a little over 1A of current if your using 120Vac. If you 230Vac, then a little over 1/2A which is not as much EMI.

Another issue is the ozone created from the surface heat of the lamp. A halogen bulb operates at over 600 deg C in order the Halogen gas to work properly with the tungsten filament.

Then you have the issue of the greater mercury emissions due to needing to generate more electricity for that bulb vs the lower wattage CFL or LED.

Now, if your worried about toxic gases you might want to do a test for Radon.
with a 220 volt current, 0.6 amps passing through the wires, the wires being all hidden in the ceiling and in the stainless steel tube that connects the lamp to the ceiling is EMI something to worry about?

and also are you saying there will be harful ozone O3 gas in my room because of the halogen bulb ?


and last thing, does the radon test have anything to do with the halogen lamp?
beareroftheligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help and advice for the following example is greatly appreciated. Cruizer Building & Construction 6 09-17-2013 10:02 AM
Painting trim/baseboards .. Help appreciated. beachfront71 Painting 4 02-17-2013 01:21 PM
Any Help would greatly be appreciated bubbs92 Building & Construction 7 12-11-2011 05:06 PM
some mold in crawlspace. Advice appreciated Cleve99 General DIY Discussions 4 02-08-2011 07:35 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts