Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A little help for diy noob

Hey guys, this is my first post and I need a little advice here.

I bought this house last April, the bathroom was pretty crummy, and I kid you not had gobs of unsmoothed caulk around EVERYTHING, baseboards, shower insert, countertop etc.. Some of this caulk had begun to crack and fall apart and the wife wants to paint in here extremely bad since it was done very awfully. So I began removing the mess of caulk and as I removed a huge section from the corner above the shower insert this is what I was left with.

I'm pretty handy, but am new to most home maintenance and such but willing to try. This corner had caulk caked into it about 2 inches accross and 5 inches up the corner on the sheetrock. I removed this section scared of what I may find and sure enough theres a hole. I have attached a couple pictures, but I'm no photographer, I can take more if needed.

I would really like to know how to go about fixing this up so I can get some paint added.
Attached Thumbnails
A little help for diy noob-imag0128.jpg   A little help for diy noob-imag0129.jpg  

jshow816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I'd just re mud it. But if there is a lot of water damage maybe cut out the drywall all the way around the top of the shower, and replace it.

jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome! Your situation does not look that bad and is fixable. Before that though? It is not important for this post but you might want to update your profile with basic geographic information for future questions.

Continue to dig out all caulk that is loose or just done improperly and looking ugly. Re-caulk what you can with a paintable caulk. Caulk with some silicone in it is alright for a bath but don't use pure silicon. Invest in a good caulking gun too. Those $2-3 things are worthless.

Assuming water did not get into the plaster or drywall, invest in a good 6-8" drywall knife, a drywall pan, and either a small container of pre-mixed mud (unless you anticipate a need for more) or 20 minute hot/dry mix (store it in an airtight rubbermaid type thing) mud. (Hot mud is sold by its approximate cure time from 5-120 or so minutes. 20 or even 45 is a good starting point for a novice and even pros will think about using 5). Dump the dry mud in your pan and add water to make the mud. Remember it starts curing with the first drop of water though so don't waste a lot of time.

Fill those gaping "holes" low spots with mud and surface as best you can to match the surrounding area. You can try to match the texture by mixing mud a little thinner and "dabbing" it on with a sponge for texture. Or if it is above the shower, you may be better just leaving it alone. The nice thing about hot mud is you can control the consistency and it dries faster.

Sand any excess mud either with sandpaper or if you are careful a wet sponge will work. Caulk between the patch and the top of the surround.

Prime and two coats of paint.

If water got to the plaster or drywall (whichever is behind) you should really cut out the effected area and patch with patching plaster or drywall. Again, working around the texture is going to be tricky.

Last edited by user1007; 04-13-2013 at 03:57 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I work tomorrow and I'll work on it after that or Monday evening. Still lots of scraping to do in the bathroom all together. The white areas missing paint in the pics is where thin layer of caulk surrounds everything. It's so strange. I'm a novice and I know better than that.

Again thanks for the help. If I get it looking nice I'll post some pics of the finished project and hope to be around these forums learning new things.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshow816 View Post
Again thanks for the help. When I get it looking nice I'll post some pics of the finished project.
Fixed it for ya
Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Welcome! Your situation does not look that bad and is fixable. Before that though? It is not important for this post but you might want to update your profile with basic geographic information for future questions.

Continue to dig out all caulk that is loose or just done improperly and looking ugly. Re-caulk what you can with a paintable caulk. Caulk with some silicone in it is alright for a bath but don't use pure silicon. Invest in a good caulking gun too. Those $2-3 things are worthless.

Assuming water did not get into the plaster or drywall, invest in a good 6-8" drywall knife, a drywall pan, and either a small container of pre-mixed mud (unless you anticipate a need for more) or 20 minute hot/dry mix (store it in an airtight rubbermaid type thing) mud. (Hot mud is sold by its approximate cure time from 5-120 or so minutes. 20 or even 45 is a good starting point for a novice and even pros will think about using 5). Dump the dry mud in your pan and add water to make the mud. Remember it starts curing with the first drop of water though so don't waste a lot of time.

Fill those gaping "holes" low spots with mud and surface as best you can to match the surrounding area. You can try to match the texture by mixing mud a little thinner and "dabbing" it on with a sponge for texture. Or if it is above the shower, you may be better just leaving it alone. The nice thing about hot mud is you can control the consistency and it dries faster.

Sand any excess mud either with sandpaper or if you are careful a wet sponge will work. Caulk between the patch and the top of the surround.

Prime and two coats of paint.

If water got to the plaster or drywall (whichever is behind) you should really cut out the effected area and patch with patching plaster or drywall. Again, working around the texture is going to be tricky.

VERY important.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #7

Almost have the coats of mud finished now.

New question, as you can see in the pics a good amount of paint peeled off when I removed the caulk. The remaining paint is pretty sturdy, my question is, when I paint do you think these lines where the paint peeled will show through? If so, how can I combat this?

Also, please recommend some good primer/paint for my bathroom. My wife wants a blue-green / teal color. Thanks again guys!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,078

Are the walls in your photos plaster?

What do you mean by "Sturdy" paint, well adhered? It looks like it is peeling off pretty badly in your photos.

What you do is going to be based on how good the adhesion is and what you are working with.

I dont think you have posted that info.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #9

Yes the rest seems well adhered . What came off in the pics was a result of a massive amount of caulking all around from previous owner. I used fine sandpaper around on what's there and it's not peeling off , but doesn't feel completely smooth. And think the walls are drywall, I don't know if that's the same as plaster or not, the home was built in 93 if that matters .
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Skim up and over the peeled paint a little( with joint compound) and sand it smooth.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #11

I doubt anyone cares about my little project but I'm finished. Repaired the damaged drywall in the top corner above the shower, peeled all the loose paint and caulk from around the perimeter of the shower insert, skim coated over the peeled paint edges, patched all holes from fixtures, sanded and flung new texture with drywall compound from a bristle brush (matched it pretty good) primed with sherwin williams low VOC and painted with sherwin williams emerald paint. Thanks for the help guys!!

Got rid of that hideous sloppy brown/orange paint, much more relaxing now
Attached Thumbnails
A little help for diy noob-imag0130.jpg   A little help for diy noob-imag0131.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jshow816 For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (04-22-2013), Gymschu (04-23-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #12

Looks good. That's almost the same color as my daughters room.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

You painted the fiberglass pink?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #14

Lol no. It's just the photo makes it look pink . Still white