Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
GSP

Share |

Linseed Oil Paint???

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback on using linseed oil paint (like Allback), but haven't exactly found a wealth of information on experiences with it as an exterior house paint.

Thanks.

GSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

Linseed Oil Paint???

Used to put linseed oil in oil base paint to give it more of a "soak into the wood" ability, but I can't say I have heard of the paint brand of which you speak.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Linseed Oil Paint???

Technology has moved on.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Faron79 (06-30-2011), Gymschu (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #4

Linseed Oil Paint???

Yeah, I was wondering why in G*d's name you'd want to do that in the first place?!?!?

Linseed oil IS very old-school, takes FOREVER to dry, and can be very mildew-prone.

There's a REASON info. on it is hard to find....

I'd rather side my house with CARDBOARD than use Linseed oil!!

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
GSP

Linseed Oil Paint???

Thanks for the replies. Just looking at options, and the lack of first-hand experiences wasn't building my confidence.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #6

Linseed Oil Paint???

Are ya planning an exterior re-paint soon?

What kinda siding, age of home, state, climate, etc. are ya talkin'??
What condition is existing siding in?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Linseed Oil Paint???

I'd still give thought to using a mix of mineral spirits and processed lindseed oil as the first coat for some soft wood interior trim like pine that was to remain clear finished. I cannot think of any use for raw lindseed oil. I guess some fine artists still use it in their work. I do see it in quarts at the paint store.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #8
jschaben

Linseed Oil Paint???

used to mix linseed oil and paint thinner as a first coat or two over old weathered barns before topcoating with an oil based paint. Took in the neighborhood of 3 weeks between coats. Still use boiled linseed oil. Great treatment for MDF jigs and fixtures. Just keep putting it on till it doesn't soak in anymore, then wipe off the excess. When it dries, about two days, the MDF has a smooth, hard, wear resistant "shell"

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-16-2012), tpolk (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #9

Linseed Oil Paint???

Well, the OP is either playing catch-up to modern times - or ahead of the game, on the paint curve; your choice...

There are not that many practicing painters who have experience with linseed oil paints because that common practice went out before WWII; the paint industry came of age around then and has become a giant along with the (related) oil industry. They're connected at the hip because the oil industry is where resins and solvents come from. The poor paint industry is under some pressure to remove solvents (which it can) and resins (which it can't), so it is basically stuck.

So, consumers who wonder why the heck am I painting my house again after 5 years with acrylics are stating to look elsewhere. Ergo: linseed oil paints. You got 30 years out of a paint job way back when, so how come we're only getting 5-10 years now?

Trouble is farmers are encouraged to sow almost anything but flaxseed in order to keep the likes of MacDonalds hamburger buns on the menu; but Northern Sweden and Saskatchewan are 2 areas of the world who do grow crops of flax - the required indredient for linseed oil paints - so that's where you'll find linseed oil paints.

I think the regular consumer gets duped into thinking "my house should be painted every 5 years". Know what's better? start looking around for better ways to accomplish your objectives. IMO linseed oil paints are one possibility I know I am interested in.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Linseed Oil Paint???

I hope you are correct and we do see exploration into paint alternatives. And perhaps a look at the past is a place to start. As mentioned in a prior post, because they are highly organic, things like lindseed oil tend to be prone to things like mold and mildew. Processing them helps but adds inevitably to the cost.

Comparisons of paints used in the US and with its type of construction to elsewhere in the World are interesting. Lime finishes come to mind that have managed to stay on exteriors (and interiors) for hundreds of years without redoing them every five. And how about Venician plasters and wallpapers that have been in place for ages.

You know, we get so motivated to use low VOCs but every five years we forget the other environmental impacts that come with needing to finish that often.

On the other hand, we are blessed with incredible access to vibrant color never before possible in older chemistry suspensions.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #11

Linseed Oil Paint???

Agreed. I forgot to mention lead pigments...I am sure we can come up with something that improves the older paints, too. The colour pallette may not be what we are used to.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
GSP

Linseed Oil Paint???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron79 View Post
Are ya planning an exterior re-paint soon?

What kinda siding, age of home, state, climate, etc. are ya talkin'??
What condition is existing siding in?

Faron
I started a different thread for the paint issues:

My Peeling Clapboard Nightmare

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #13

Linseed Oil Paint???

I know I am a few years too late for this forum question but I am a user of linseed oil paint and I can tell you from a preservation AND green point of view that this paint is INCREDIBLE. I have a clapboard home built in 1863 and I have been using linseed oil paint in the restoration of the exterior of our home. The paint on the front has been there for four years and looks as though I painted it yesterday. The initial labour is great- not in the painting but in the prep work. The paint was removed back to bare wood, then, I applied a coat of organic, boiled linseed oil ( no pigment) as my primer, then two coats of linseed oil paint. I have never seen water bead on paint like it does on this stuff. I will not have to paint again for 50 years, and at that time, I will not have to scrape or sand, just apply more paint. In 5-7 years I simply brush on linseed oil-straight up- no pigment-to refresh the paint. I have seen no mildew at all and my home is very shaded and sees minimal sun. I live in Canada and experience all seasons. For all those naysayers out there who would rather clad their homes in cardboard, I will never change their minds, but for those of you who are looking for a viable alternative to scraping and sanding your home every 5 years or so, and a great extension to the life of your exterior wood-this is definitely IT!!! I will never, ever buy Chemical laden paint again. Nor, will I buy pressure treated fencing or decking. This paint will do it all. And while I'm at it, I recently spent about an hour reprinting my cast iron urns that sit in front of my home and they look spectacular too. One coat of paint and all the rust is gone!!! You can even undercoat your car with this stuff! I am a convert and for those of you who think I'm crazy, feel free to keep filling the pockets of the chemical laden paint industry-every 5 years or so...I have found a better way! I would love to answer your questions about it.
Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #14

Linseed Oil Paint???

From what I have read we got away from Lindseed oil paints because of price. Lindseed oils act more like a stain so they flake off and you never really see them peel and you used to get 20 years out of a paint job. It only made sense for manufacturers to switch to cheaper ingredients then had people coming back after 5 or 10 years rather than 20.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #15

Linseed Oil Paint???

Linseed oil paint is no more expensive than a high end exterior paint that will fail in a short time 5-7 years. It is pricier by volume, however the linseed oil paint goes way further. Especially if you prime with boiled linseed oil. when we did the math we found that linseed oil paint was the same cost as a Benjamin Moore which I would have to paint over again in a few years. AND SCRAPE! I won't ever have to scrape again. Having used the paint on my own house I can tell you unequivocally that it is not at all like stain, in fact the paint is so thick that it actually stands in peaks when stirred. If you wan to use it as a stain, all you have to do is cut the paint with 50/50 linseed oil to paint. I will admit that if using linseed oil paint you have to be patient with the drying time. You have to wait about 48 hours between coats and it will be wet for days. That being said, the reason for this is because there is no off-gassing, only absorbsion and hardening. it expands and contracts with the weather. The troubles with old-school linseed oil paint have been solved with modern processing techniques. I have tried it and I will never paint anything outside with anything else EVER! My house has been standing since 1863 and with this paint it's good to go for another 100 at least. There is a reason that historical societies everywhere are ordering it in droves. Please understand that I am not a dealer of this paint. There is only ONE guy in all of Canada who is licensed to sell the stuff here, and that guy isn't me. I just love the stuff, I can't say enough about it and I just want to spread the linseed oil gospel. I want to help other restoration junkies like myself who have undertaken the responsibility of restoring a historical home do the best thing for their homes, and anyone who has exterior wood on your home- this is the answer to avoiding plastic as a solution to not painting every 5 years. Really exciting stuff. I shall post some photos of the front of my home so you can see how it looks 4 years after painting. I am also in the process of stripping the side of my home so that it will match the front-I can show you that also.

Last edited by Kaycee; 07-16-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Mistakes
Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote