Light Blue Paint Over Dark Brown Paint? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


I have dark brown walls that I will be painting with a light blue from Benjamin moore's regal line. should I use a primer before? & how many coats should I apply?
also! will white ceiling paint be okay to paint on a regular wall?
thanks for your help (:

Advertisement

kaity123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


Paint over paint ( As long as it's not latex over a shiny oil- in which case curtain prep is needed) should not be a problem. And the regal will give better coverage than a primer. Expect 2 good coats.
Ceiling paint is super flat with no durability- not recommended for walls.

Advertisement

__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Paint over paint ( As long as it's not latex over a shiny oil- in which case curtain prep is needed) should not be a problem. And the regal will give better coverage than a primer. Expect 2 good coats.
Ceiling paint is super flat with no durability- not recommended for walls.
Hugh? Curtain prep?

A finish coat will give better coverage than a primer?

Sealers/primers/undercoats serve different purposes than your finish coats. Regal is a great finish coat. It is not a primer and 400 coats of the stuff will not replace a primer if you need one.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,209
Rewards Points: 1,098
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kaity123 View Post
I have dark brown walls that I will be painting with a light blue from Benjamin moore's regal line. should I use a primer before? & how many coats should I apply?
also! will white ceiling paint be okay to paint on a regular wall?
thanks for your help (:
If this was my room, I would use 1 coat of primer - for both adhesion and to help hide the dark brown. Then I'd figure on 2 coats of paint. BM is good paint. It'll do a nice job.

Do NOT use ceiling paint on your walls. It's not formulated for that.


Good luck!
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


looll Curtain- certain - typing is not my first language!
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,860
Rewards Points: 2,228
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Hugh? Curtain prep?

A finish coat will give better coverage than a primer?

Sealers/primers/undercoats serve different purposes than your finish coats. Regal is a great finish coat. It is not a primer and 400 coats of the stuff will not replace a primer if you need one.

Who's Hugh?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

light blue paint over dark brown paint?


Hugh Manatee?

Advertisement

__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paint


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please Help! 3 way switches controling 2 light fxtures. HelloMotto Electrical 52 11-05-2014 05:28 PM
Blue tape peeling away the old wall paint drlsubaru Painting 9 05-13-2009 10:58 AM
Semi gloss on Semi gloss mattpricemn Painting 6 08-25-2008 08:18 PM
Paint will not stick in Bathroom! SGTHetland Painting 9 08-18-2008 12:04 AM
Is it normal for primer to show thru dark paint on first coat? Autumnknight Painting 5 10-02-2006 07:38 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts