Lesson Learned - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lesson Learned

I recently painted my daughters bedroom. This was a school project. It was this or raising a goat. I opted for the room remodel. No problem I thought, paint the baseboards, walls, hang some blinds, new closet doors and ceiling fan.

I put a coat of Zinnser on the stained baseboard, a primer coat of SW Prepblock and a final coat of SW Pro Classic. Lookin Good so far. On to the walls.

We went to my local SW Store to pick out colors after church on Sunday. Of course she picked out a dark hot pink color. Asked for it in SuperPaint but it could only be bought in Duration. I should have took this as a warning sign of some kind, bad things are about to happen.

Now the existing walls were white. No reason to use primer I said to myself, this will cover just fine. We started cutting in and as soon as I made the brush stroke I knew this wasn't good. Somewhere words of wisdom about painting directly over semi-gloss paint flashed through my head. But instead of stopping and taking the extra time to prime I pressed on. It'll be fine after the second coat. Yeah right.

Four coats later it still looks like crap. The cut in looked like painting glass. Very uneven and not good coverage. The walls after being rolled didn't look a whole lot better. After the fourth coat the walls looked better but the contrast between areas that were brushed and rolled are horrible.

I've painted many a room and never had this kind of results before. But I've also never skipped the primer before either. Now I understand why professionals(most) are adamant about priming.

Lesson Learned: Prime. Second Lesson Learned: PRIME! And maybe a third lesson applies here too: Listed to what the pros say about painting dark colors.

Advertisement

Eric_ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Lesson Learned

Maybe you should have gone for the goat. Just kidding.....(pun intended).
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

Last edited by firehawkmph; 03-05-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: forgot the pun
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Lesson Learned

Actually most "accent colors" require a grey tinted primer for coverage. Painting a color like that over a white wall is suicide. Also if it was Duration I hope your salesman steered you to the right painting tools.....cheap roller covers and paint brushes do not do well with Duration. Next time ask for Color Accents in those dark colors, it is a little more DIY friendly.
PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Lesson Learned

No I used good equipment. I only use Purdy brushes and Purdy rollers. Can't blame it on the tools, gotta blame the painter on this one!

I was thinking the same thing about the goat!
Eric_ht is offline   Reply With Quote