Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

Leave with worn look or refinish?

"This is a time sensitive matter."

In our newly relandscaped backyard we have an aged small pond side deck (painted pressure treated pine) a larger covered deck (deck is painted pressure treated pine, upper structure solid stain finished cedar) with wooden walkways (painted pressure treated pine) in between and to the driveway edge. All of these are "very worn with age". The landscape designer added several cedar structures. He encouraged us to let the cedar fade to gray which they are doing rapidly and leave all original structures to continue aging. The upper structure of the deck is especially, in my opinon, unsightly. He wants everything to look "unperfect".

We are considering refinishing everything. If we refinish, the upper structure of the deck and the new cedar structures would all be the same solid stain color. The decks and walkways would be a medium dark gray deck paint.

My question to you is what do you think about the designers advice and our alternatives?
sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

This post would be MUCH better with pictures. personally, I like the new wood look, rather than the gray, aged look. But, depending on what else you got going on there, it could work. But we can't read your mind, so...PICTURES!
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Will post photo's in the morning.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Will look forward to the pictures but one thing jumps out at me. It is one thing to let cedar age naturally and another to just let pressure treated pine sit without protection. I guess I do understand what the designer may be trying to achieve visually but I fear his/her approach may cause premature failure of the pine in this.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #5

Here at last are the photos.

One note. When looking at the decks posts and upper structure you will see random new solid stain. We were attempting to match the old solid stain with new. Obviously no match even though they were the exact same premixed color and brand. Everything else speaks for itself. I look forward to your replies.

Oh, if you would, please provide a color scheme for the old large deck, walkways, little deck and new cedar structures should we decide to refinish them. The older large deck is to be replaced next year.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Leave with worn look or refinish?-007.jpg   Leave with worn look or refinish?-004.jpg   Leave with worn look or refinish?-040.jpg   Leave with worn look or refinish?-002.jpg   Leave with worn look or refinish?-044.jpg  

Leave with worn look or refinish?-020.jpg  

Last edited by sore thumb; 05-01-2013 at 12:58 PM.