Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lead on/in the walls

I just bought an investment property. It is old 80 yrs. old and has plaster walls. The walls need major work the plaster needs to be repaired in some areas and its coming away from the lath in other areas and some of the paint is peeling off the wall. Did some research and feel that I can handle the repairs ( have always done my own painting/spackleing). But I am concerned about lead in the plaster/or lead paint trapped between the old and new coats/paint peeling off the walls. A friend told me that you need a special person trained to take care of lead to come in and repair the walls, is this true?? And if I decide to do it can I get lead poison from repairing old plaster walls/or scaping the peeling paint off the wall??

diylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Lead on/in the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by diylady View Post
...I am concerned about lead in the plaster/or lead paint trapped between the old and new coats/paint peeling off the walls. A friend told me that you need a special person trained to take care of lead to come in and repair the walls, is this true??
Short answer = yes
More accurate answer = it depends
Depending on what the actual situation is, what actually has lead and what doesn't, the extent of the damage and repairs, how careful and precise you can be about following instructions, and what your local EPA regs are, you may be able to safely and legally take care of the problem if you choose
Quote:
Originally Posted by diylady View Post
And if I decide to do it can I get lead poison from repairing old plaster walls/or scaping the peeling paint off the wall??
If there is lead present and you don't take proper precautions, yes...absolutely

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #3

Lead on/in the walls

Lead is not nearly as much a danger to adults as it is to kids under 5. In kids it can really mess them up, and that's why many states are very strict about lead paint in rental properties. Particularly if paint is peeling, you are definitely going to have to do some lead mitigation work. If by "investment property" you mean rental units, then I strongly recommend that you look into the laws in your state regarding lead paint and rental property. My personal experiences were with Massachusetts, and it was a major headache. Deleading a single apartment can easily cost $10-20,000 (higher end if you've got painted wooden windows and doors). Your state's laws may not allow you to refuse to rent to a family with kids under 5, and may require you to delead an apartment that has a tenant under 5, or when a current tenant gets pregnant.

In massachusetts, some lead mitigation can be done by a homeowner who has taken a training course, but it must be done appropriately, and inspected, in order to get a certificate of deleading. Doing stuff here and there on your own will be useless in the eyes of the rental laws, so get this figured out before you make a plan.

I managed to avoid deleading in the 3 years that I owned a 2-family in MA, but it was a constant worry, especially when my tenant got pregnant. Fortunately they decided to move out shortly after, and I dodged that 15,000 bullet, but I'd never put myself in that position again.

Good luck, Nate
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Lead on/in the walls

Check locally for policies on lead in a rental. Also, get info from your municipality, or public awareness. Test it yourself and use the info to determine whether lead is present or not.

It may be code to remove lead paint a few layers down. It may be code that you don't have to. Encapsulation is one way of dealing with lead, but you need to find out what's required in your area.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Pro re-work contractor

Lead on/in the walls

Sounds like you bought a real "fix-er-upper". If lead is a problem, then that explains my slowness. If you just remove the 3/4 inch plaster where needed, then i would think lead is not much an issue. Now sanding down the coats of paint that are effected is the problem. Window sashes and such. Just don't disturb the paint as much as you can. Not too sure on all this. Make sure you read the disclaimer here.
analog414 is offline   Reply With Quote