Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lead Paint Removal for Homeowners

Hi all!

My wife and I are going to paint the exterior of our home this spring. The current paint has exceeded its useful life, and there are large sections of paint on our clapboards that are beginning to chip and fall off. The good thing is that it will save us some major time with scraping, yet we know that we'd like to be responsible when removing the paint. As far as lead based paint goes, I think it's safe to assume that it is there, as my home is about 90 years old.

In IL, I am allowed to remove the paint myself, yet I'd like to leave as little contamination as possible. What are some techniques used by remediation pros that I could use to do this (i.e. plastic wrap, vacuuming, wetting down chips to eliminate dust, hand scraping, disposal, etc.)? Any help is appreciated!

-ET

Etrace0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

Go over it with fan fold insulation and vinyl siding and never have to deal with htis again.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well we have considered this, yet it is not economically feasible for us and we are in a historic district so we would like to avoid headaches with our historic commission and keep the aesthetic integrity of our home. So, any advice concerning removal of the potential lead hazard would be appreciated. Thanks!
Etrace0921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/labor-standa...ty-owners.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Heritage Restoration

Rewards Points: 75

www.solventfreepaint.com

http://www.silentpaintremover.com/spr/index.htm
www.ParadigmShiftCustoms.com
Skuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Environmental Health

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrace0921 View Post
Hi all!

My wife and I are going to paint the exterior of our home this spring. The current paint has exceeded its useful life, and there are large sections of paint on our clapboards that are beginning to chip and fall off. The good thing is that it will save us some major time with scraping, yet we know that we'd like to be responsible when removing the paint. As far as lead based paint goes, I think it's safe to assume that it is there, as my home is about 90 years old.

In IL, I am allowed to remove the paint myself, yet I'd like to leave as little contamination as possible. What are some techniques used by remediation pros that I could use to do this (i.e. plastic wrap, vacuuming, wetting down chips to eliminate dust, hand scraping, disposal, etc.)? Any help is appreciated!

-ET
You mentioned being responsible. I say you have integrity. Rare to see it now days

Are you going to take all the paint off or are you going to just take the paint off where it is bad? Abatement (taking all paint off) is going to be a very time consuming task. Just wanted you to know.

Your first step would probably be to go over http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/training/LBPguide.pdf.
Dean CRCNA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean CRCNA For This Useful Post:
Etrace0921 (03-16-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Infrared (aka silent strippers) are wonderful. They are pricey but worth every penny. You can rent them but there may be a wait list. A prior poster provided a URL but here is a picture. Definitely buy or rent a rail system to go with the thing so you can just guide it along and scrape away. There are a couple of rail types out there.

Still need to lay down plastic to catch debris and then dispose of according to IEPA recs.

Bless you for not trashing the value of your antique home with vinyl siding! Nothing can reduce its value faster and that of the historic hood!

Last edited by user1007; 03-16-2012 at 02:53 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

By the way you can probably buy an infrared stripper and turn around and sell it instantly when done. I paid $500 or so for mine with all the bells and whistles, used it inside and out for a couple of years and sold it for $300 when forced by medical stuff to give up painting. Buying and selling in this manner may be cheaper than renting it and you will not be under pressure to return it. Means laying out the cash upfront though. Good news is they have come down somewhat in price. There are also cheaper versions than the original Scandinavian thing out there now too. I have no experience with them though. There is nothing especially tricky about engineering and fabricating the technology though. Just make sure the infrared components on an alternate brand are sound, the housing is nicely made, etc. A clunky rail system would be worse than none at all.

Last edited by user1007; 03-16-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just remembered something else important. Make sure you wear masks and protective and disposable clothing. I have found ULINE to have good prices on things like tyvek coveralls, masks, shoe covers and things. Everything gets bundled up with what you scrape off the siding and disposed of with it.

http://www.uline.com