Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
KrazyCoyoteKim

Share |

Lazy Girl Going to Paint Matte over Semi-Gloss. Results?

I am painting Matte over Semi gloss concrete block walls and brick fireplace that parts are semi-gloss, maybe gloss...dunno. Currently the whole room is stark white as all basement apartments are usually. I am creative and love to paint items in several colors that make them look like leather or aged. Not just one boring vcolor. Yet, I am curious about covering the white semi-gloss paint and what will happen taking lazy girls way of not priming or sanding and all that hassle. LOL. Yes, all professionals say for a nice uniform finish to prime and sand, but for now I am going to skip that step on these bricks. For one thing, because of the crevices etc, sanding wouldnt work. Prime a 20x20foot room, not going to happen. I am going to paint the base color in Matte Camel and then add some Warm Autumn Brown, and maybe add some caramel, maybe even some candle glow. I personally think it will work, but so many peeps scare you to death saying not to...but that is drywall painting, this is tricky. I want to hear from you, and I will post my results. I am looking for budget paint, $30.00 or less a gallon and a one day job. It will be fun, but.... will the new matte paint just drip off or what? Need to know please, just in case...though opinions are a dime a dozen, arent they? Thanks!Kim

KrazyCoyoteKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

You seem like you are going to do it the way you want anyway, so why ask?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You seem like you are going to do it the way you want anyway, so why ask?

But, it's Tuesday, and being such, I try to pick one person to be especially nice to. Firstly, "peeps" are not trying to scare you to death with their opinions, at least not this peep. That paint will fail due to lack of preparation is not an opinion, it's a fact of science, and beyond your ability to "will' it to "work". If you're coming to this forum seeking permission to circumvent steps that will enhance the possibility of success, that "ain't going to happen". I say possibility because, even after meticulous prep, I sometimes incur explicable or unforeseen difficulties. Before you can break the rules, you have to know them, and know the ways to break them without getting caught. With your planned paint budget, if it doesn't include a primer, it doesn't seem you're on that point either. Now, is your job guaranteed to fail? I dunno. Sometimes a shot in the dark hits its mark. But, it sounds like you want it to be pretty, and if it does fail, it will be. And you won't be coming back with a cavalier attitude seeking solutions. So it's caution, not fear, that peeps are trying to instill in you. And, if it does fail, come back next Tuesday.

Webster, forgive me.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
KrazyCoyoteKim (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCoyoteKim View Post
I am painting Matte over Semi gloss concrete block walls and brick fireplace that parts are semi-gloss, maybe gloss...dunno. Currently the whole room is stark white as all basement apartments are usually. I am creative and love to paint items in several colors that make them look like leather or aged. Not just one boring vcolor. Yet, I am curious about covering the white semi-gloss paint and what will happen taking lazy girls way of not priming or sanding and all that hassle. LOL. Yes, all professionals say for a nice uniform finish to prime and sand, but for now I am going to skip that step on these bricks. For one thing, because of the crevices etc, sanding wouldnt work. Prime a 20x20foot room, not going to happen. I am going to paint the base color in Matte Camel and then add some Warm Autumn Brown, and maybe add some caramel, maybe even some candle glow. I personally think it will work, but so many peeps scare you to death saying not to...but that is drywall painting, this is tricky. I want to hear from you, and I will post my results. I am looking for budget paint, $30.00 or less a gallon and a one day job. It will be fun, but.... will the new matte paint just drip off or what? Need to know please, just in case...though opinions are a dime a dozen, arent they? Thanks!Kim
Several things you might want to consider...

First of all, if you paint an entire basement room dark, it will have a profound effect on the tone of the room.

Also, if you're painting all 4 concrete block walls of a 20x20 room, 1 gallon of paint will be nowhere near enough. 2 gallons probably won't cover it all. And that's just the base coat...

That said, it's risky to paint over sem-gloss paint, without first scuffing and/or priming. It might work, but if it doesn't work it will cost you a lot of time - and quite a bit more money - to do it right. Please give it some thought before you jump.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
ltd

do a small brush out about 2x2sq. let it dry over night ,next day put the old thumb nail to it , if it gripes then go for .if not start preping.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
KrazyCoyoteKim (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Doing something cheap, quick and dirty will often leave something looking- Cheap, quick, and dirty.

If you don't care that much and it's just a room downstairs that you never use, then go for it. If you actually care about the outcome and finish then put some effort into it.

I would prime it, better than putting the effort into painting it then having all your paint fall off, and having to prime then paint again, not to mention scrape paint off.You will be in a bad mood because your laziness cost you a lot more time and effort.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
KrazyCoyoteKim

Thanks for being calm and clear in posting your opinion. The thing is, the blocks have so many crevices, that sanding is impossible. Besides I want a rough look that is like worn old leather, not a smooth one color deal. I guess my main concern is that it isnt like painting with water over it, you know? I eally do appreciate the honest and calm way you responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Several things you might want to consider...

First of all, if you paint an entire basement room dark, it will have a profound effect on the tone of the room.

Also, if you're painting all 4 concrete block walls of a 20x20 room, 1 gallon of paint will be nowhere near enough. 2 gallons probably won't cover it all. And that's just the base coat...

That said, it's risky to paint over sem-gloss paint, without first scuffing and/or priming. It might work, but if it doesn't work it will cost you a lot of time - and quite a bit more money - to do it right. Please give it some thought before you jump.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
KrazyCoyoteKim

Why say dirty? These walls are sparkly white, lol
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #9

just a saying-quick and dirty...applies to corners being cut in order to gain time/cost savings

have you thought about renting a sprayer? if it's an unfinished space would probably save time, sounds like it might work well for the uneven surface.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post

But, it's Tuesday, and being such, I try to pick one person to be especially nice to. Firstly, "peeps" are not trying to scare you to death with their opinions, at least not this peep. That paint will fail due to lack of preparation is not an opinion, it's a fact of science, and beyond your ability to "will' it to "work". If you're coming to this forum seeking permission to circumvent steps that will enhance the possibility of success, that "ain't going to happen". I say possibility because, even after meticulous prep, I sometimes incur explicable or unforeseen difficulties. Before you can break the rules, you have to know them, and know the ways to break them without getting caught. With your planned paint budget, if it doesn't include a primer, it doesn't seem you're on that point either. Now, is your job guaranteed to fail? I dunno. Sometimes a shot in the dark hits its mark. But, it sounds like you want it to be pretty, and if it does fail, it will be. And you won't be coming back with a cavalier attitude seeking solutions. So it's caution, not fear, that peeps are trying to instill in you. And, if it does fail, come back next Tuesday.

Webster, forgive me.

what do peeps say? cheap, cheap , cheap
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

If you get a flat bonding primer like Bulls eye ( not 123- it is not flat) tinted to the direction you want to go- you'll be killing 2 birds with the one stone. It probably wont be a one coat job anyway, might as well make the first on a bonding primer.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
KrazyCoyoteKim

Talking

THE CEILING HAS 6 RECESSED .LIGHTS, I PUT IN THE YELLOW/GOLD BUG LIGHTS, THEN (THIS WOULD HAVE TO BE SEEN TO BE BELIEVED) I FOLDED AND PUT CUFFS AND CURLIES? AND SCRUNCHED UP FOR DEPTH PAPER (LUNCH SIZE) BAGS, THE GOLD LIGHTS SHINE SOWN INTO THEM AND THEY ARE MY AUTUMN BROWN AND CANDLE GLOW, A MIX OF THESE SHADES...YOU JUST GOTTA SHINE A LIGHT WITHIN A PAPER SACK TO UNDERSTAND THIS CHANGE IN A GOOD OL PAPER BAG. NOW THE WALLS ARE NOT STARK WHITE, THE HAVE SOME WARMTH FROM THE LANTERNS AND BULBA, AND SINCE IT IS ALSO A RENTAL..AND I DID VERY WELL MAKING THE LANTERNS (YES I AM PATTING MYSELF ON BACK, LOL) THE COST WAS BULBS ONLY, NOW THERE IS A BIT OF LIFE TO THE ROOM INSTEAD OF THE BLINDING HOSPITAL WHITE. PLEASE PUT A PAPER SACK OVER ANY LIGHT BULB AFTER CRUNCHING AND SOME FOLDING TO UNDERSTAND IF CURIOUS. I DO APPRECIATE ALL OF THE RESPONSES, WANT MORE ON THE LANTERN THINGY WOULD BE NICE, AND WHEN i OWN MY OWN HOME AGAIN, I WILL DEFINATELY CONSIDER WHAT I HAVE LEARNED. BUT YIPPEE, I DIDNT AFTER ALL NEED TO PRIME OR PAINT OR BUY ALL THE STUFF TO GET THE JOB DONE. YES I AM GLOATING, THOUGH I DO HAVE CRUNCHED AND FOLDED PAPER BAGS ON THE CEILING, GIGGLES! KIM
Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

^ Hey, cheap + happy = BIG SCORE!

The only thing I'd caution you about is that the bulbs might get pretty hot to be that close to paper.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCoyoteKim View Post
THE CEILING HAS 6 RECESSED .LIGHTS, I PUT IN THE YELLOW/GOLD BUG LIGHTS, THEN (THIS WOULD HAVE TO BE SEEN TO BE BELIEVED) I FOLDED AND PUT CUFFS AND CURLIES? AND SCRUNCHED UP FOR DEPTH PAPER (LUNCH SIZE) BAGS, THE GOLD LIGHTS SHINE SOWN INTO THEM AND THEY ARE MY AUTUMN BROWN AND CANDLE GLOW, A MIX OF THESE SHADES...YOU JUST GOTTA SHINE A LIGHT WITHIN A PAPER SACK TO UNDERSTAND THIS CHANGE IN A GOOD OL PAPER BAG. NOW THE WALLS ARE NOT STARK WHITE, THE HAVE SOME WARMTH FROM THE LANTERNS AND BULBA, AND SINCE IT IS ALSO A RENTAL..AND I DID VERY WELL MAKING THE LANTERNS (YES I AM PATTING MYSELF ON BACK, LOL) THE COST WAS BULBS ONLY, NOW THERE IS A BIT OF LIFE TO THE ROOM INSTEAD OF THE BLINDING HOSPITAL WHITE. PLEASE PUT A PAPER SACK OVER ANY LIGHT BULB AFTER CRUNCHING AND SOME FOLDING TO UNDERSTAND IF CURIOUS. I DO APPRECIATE ALL OF THE RESPONSES, WANT MORE ON THE LANTERN THINGY WOULD BE NICE, AND WHEN i OWN MY OWN HOME AGAIN, I WILL DEFINATELY CONSIDER WHAT I HAVE LEARNED. BUT YIPPEE, I DIDNT AFTER ALL NEED TO PRIME OR PAINT OR BUY ALL THE STUFF TO GET THE JOB DONE. YES I AM GLOATING, THOUGH I DO HAVE CRUNCHED AND FOLDED PAPER BAGS ON THE CEILING, GIGGLES! KIM

Why are you SCREAMING?? I could not even read this, it made my eyes hurt.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
KrazyCoyoteKim

I see your point about the caps, I am sorry, it was late last night and easier, but truly I wasnt yelling, though me and a friend from Austrailia write in caps all the time, I didnt like it at first, but it is easier, like the thread has said, I am a lazy girl (who is so very sorry for your agitation) Giggles!Kim

Tags
cement walls, matte, paint bricks, paint over gloss, semi-gloss painting