Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Share |

Latex primer over oil base finish..

I am painting the baseboards, window casing, and around the doors at my boss' house. There was an original oil based finish on all of the wood work. I used TSP to clean the wood and began priming. The next day, my boss realized that he gave me the wrong can of primer (a normal latex primer) instead of the adhesive primer he wanted to use, to bond properly with the oil based finish on the wood. He is now suggesting that we sand/scrape all of the improper primer off to apply the adhesive primer (which will take a couple of days to re-do). My question is, if the primer I used seems to have bonded well over night, what are the chances of the primer peeling or flaking off in the future? Is it a good idea to remove it all, or if it seems alright now, can we just leave it?

whalogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #2

I would, and then to remove any problems down the road I would prime with oil. I know there are some here who would recommend a good latex bonding primer, but I have peeled that stuff off too easily with my fingernail before.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Any suggestion on an easier way to remove the primer? We're kind of weary of using any kind of chemical because we don't want anything getting on the fairly new carpet..
whalogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #4

Some would say: "do what your boss wants"... Maybe your job depends on it LOL

That is until you can convince him otherwise, that is...in theory, you would have been fine applying a latex over (what I presume is) a glossy alkyd BUT it would have had to be cleaned and lightly sanded first. If you miss these steps, you may not get good results - and then "working for your boss" takes on a whole new meaning.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #5

It has been my experience that you can tell pretty quickly if something has bonded or not. If you have a good adhesion, it is a waste of time to remove it. Give it a couple of days and then do the fingernail test and really work it. That will give you your answer.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalogreg View Post
I am painting the baseboards, window casing, and around the doors at my boss' house. There was an original oil based finish on all of the wood work. I used TSP to clean the wood and began priming. The next day, my boss realized that he gave me the wrong can of primer (a normal latex primer) instead of the adhesive primer he wanted to use, to bond properly with the oil based finish on the wood. He is now suggesting that we sand/scrape all of the improper primer off to apply the adhesive primer (which will take a couple of days to re-do). My question is, if the primer I used seems to have bonded well over night, what are the chances of the primer peeling or flaking off in the future? Is it a good idea to remove it all, or if it seems alright now, can we just leave it?
Do what your boss wants, especially if he's paying you by the hour.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

love the last response - however no one asked EXACTLY what primer did you use???? Can you post a pic of the can or post the brand or any info at all???

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
primer