Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Share |

Latex paints for garage floors

I'm sure this question has been asked over and over, as I have read MANY different opinions. I've purchased and then returned a couple of different "ready to go" type epoxy garage floor paints. The reason I returned them was after power washing, degreasing and scrubbing my 5 year old, uneven, pitted and rough cement, I just didn't feel confident putting down the epoxy based paint after the complaints I've read.

MY QUESTION:

Can someone recommend a good quality garage paint that will not chip, can be top coated to a shine, and have decent durability??

I realize I'd have to repaint it over time, but I'm willing to do it if I don't end up with a garage that looks like parking lot stripes after 5 recoats!!

Thanks!

SBrasseaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #3

I've researched this product, watched the videos... etc.

I've found that it is just an expensive form of the epoxy products found at home depot or lowes (even Walmart).

But thanks for the link!!

I'm looking for something that is more forgiving to stained concrete.

I mentioned, after power washing and degreasing I'm still concerned about the cement. I have a few places that have "silicone tire shine" products that haven't come off. Not wanting to grind down the cement, I'm looking for alternatives.

THANKS!!
SBrasseaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
NAV

Coating a garage floor is not so simple as wash and paint. there are many factors that go into the material selection and prep.

sounds like you garage floor is in bad shape to begin with. so i would recommend a concrete stain. it will not be shiny or chemical resistant for a do it yourself job, its the cheapest way to go.

there are no latex paint options that will hold up to the hot tires. when you park in there your hot tires will bond to the paint and pull it up. actually the epoxy kits you see in the big box stores have the same problem.

with your pitted garage floor i would recommend a shot blast and BASF Sonoguard Polyurethane waterproofing, traffic-bearing membrane system for vehicular areas. it is not a shiny coating but it is chemical resistant and will not pull up on your tires. you can top coat the system with a clear coat (whatever BASF recommends) for sheen. Here are some basic installation instructions.

1) shot blast the floor - you can get away with grinding the floor
2) prime with appropriate primer
3) base coat of Sonoguard
4) top coat of Sonoguard with aggregate broadcast in and rolled wile wet
5) optional - clear coat for sheen.

even with this system you have to make sure there is no hydrostatic pressure that is going to cause the material to fail.
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote