Latex Over Oil Problem - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

latex over oil problem

Hi, We just moved into a new house and started painting. I painted all of the trim with a latex paint not even thinking that the trim could have been painted earlier with a oil based paint. The paint now scratches off easily. Is there anyway to fix this without sanding, stripping, or pealing the paint off? Would it work if I wiped on several coats of Poly??

Advertisement

deenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

latex over oil problem

[QUOTE=deenna;1234074]Hi, We just moved into a new house and started painting. I painted all of the trim with a latex paint not even thinking that the trim could have been painted earlier with a oil based paint. The paint now scratches off easily. Is there anyway to fix this without sanding, stripping, or pealing the paint off? Would it work if I wiped on several coats of Poly??[/QUOTE]

no and no

Do you know for a fact that the original was oil?
Or are you scratching it off before it has cured for 30 days?

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

latex over oil problem

I found anoil based paint can in the basement just a bit ago...that was labeled doors.... it looks the same as the trim color so I am guessing it is.

I have not waited 30 days....only 4 days. Shall I wait longer and see what happens ?
deenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

latex over oil problem

While it surface dries in an hour or less, waterbased semi-gloss, satin or whatever takes 30 days to fully cure and harden.

That said though. Did you clean and scruff the surface you were painting so the paint had something to grip to?

For the rest of the job, if it is a high gloss oil enamel or something, you should probably use a bonding primer/underlay like Zinsser 123 (or 123+ if you have stains to block) or a solvent based alkyd primer first. Before high bond waterbased primers, alkyds were the great equalizers and problem solvers. They stick to near anything and you can put near any finish over them. Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start was a fave. Sherwin Williams actually sells a great underlay product but you would have to ask for it.

You do need to make sure the surfaces you are priming and painting are very clean---use tsp for this---and scruffing it up with fine grit paper will certainly not hurt.

And the direct answer to your question is that you cannot fix paint adhesion problems with a new top layer thinking it will work down and stick or something. Sorry. Hopefully you did not do too much and it sounds like it is peeling off fairly easily.

Last edited by user1007; 08-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

latex over oil problem

what he said^
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
latex paint , oil based , poly , trim painting