Is Latex Ok Over A Skimcoat? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Is Latex ok over a skimcoat?

I've read in a few places that you should only use an oil based primer over a skimcoat, as the compound skimcoat will draw the water from the latex primer and go into solution causing bubbles under the primer.

While I don't want to mess up my beautiful (at least hopefully once it's done) skimcoat that I put on my ceiling, I have only seen this said in a few places, and not enough to make me sure it is necessary.

I had planned on using Kilz II as I have used it before and have never used an oil based product and am a little scared of the clean up and any possible spills.

Also I will not be rolling the primer on, as I bought a high pressure paint sprayer (hopefully after painting the entire house I won't feel so bad about the cost) which I will be using for the primer at least, and hopefully for the actually painting once i see how bad the overspray is.

Please let me know if you have any experience with this. thanks!

Advertisement

brodieb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

I always use waterbased drywall primer.

Advertisement

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Personally I would have first primed all surfaces with an oil base primer like Zinsser Gardz to seal the plaster; using a water based primer can sometimes cause old plaster to bubble and flake. With this said after I have primed first I would then apply my skim coat and then prime the skim coat with an oil base primer followed by two coats of good quality paint.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Personally I would have first primed all surfaces with an oil base primer like Zinsser Gardz to seal the plaster; using a water based primer can sometimes cause old plaster to bubble and flake. With this said after I have primed first I would then apply my skim coat and then prime the skim coat with an oil base primer followed by two coats of good quality paint.

Not oil
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

FYI - Gardz is NOT oil based. With that being said, it is still good for going over skimcoated surfaces. I would stay away from Killz II if I were you - I think you'll find that's a pretty universal opinion on this board. Zinsser Gardz will work fine, 1-2-3 would also work fine, BM fresh start would be fine as well. If you want to use an oil based product Zinsser Cover Stain, or BM Fresh Start (2400) are both good - but personally I think the oil based is overkill. Be sure to wait at least 24 hours after skimcoating to make sure your WBC is completely dry and you won't have any issue with a latex primer. BTW - I have never sprayed Gardz but it is rather thin - spraying might be a little messy. Since you are spraying, using a latex product will be much easier on the cleanup, I would probably use 1-2-3 or 2300 Fresh start if I were spraying. Good luck!! OH - did I mention MAKE SURE YOUR skimcoat is completely DRY!!!!!
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Not oil
sorry my mistake. I was typing faster than I was thinking...
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I've used zinsser 1-2-3 and benjamin moore primer both with great results.

Advertisement

moopey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latex , oil , paint , primer , skimcoat