Latex Industrial Paint For Steel. No Respirator - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Mike K

Rewards Points: 75

latex industrial paint for steel. No respirator

I work at a large chilled water plant and we are looking for a good industrial paint which does not require a respirator to apply. We will brush and roll it on interior steel and black iron pipes. I think latex has come a long way, but have no idea if we can replace our oil based paint with one.

Does one exist? Or does our entire crew need to be fitted with a respirator mask with organic vapor cartridge?

Thanks

Advertisement

rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

whats on your pipes now? oil or latex? (im guessing oil since you mentioned it but you never know on this forum)

Advertisement

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Super Master Painter

having the ''workers'' paint the joint has Lawsuit written all over it......esp with todays Lead paint rules and regulations..........better do your homework....................
Old 02-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Mike K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
whats on your pipes now? oil or latex? (im guessing oil since you mentioned it but you never know on this forum)

Yes oil on the existing. We sometimes paint raw steel as well.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Yes oil on the existing. We sometimes paint raw steel as well.

Thanks

1-pre-prime all bare metal with Zinsser cover stain ''oil'' primer
2-1 coat oil finish on previously painted pipes, 2 coats on new pre-primed stuff (only 1 coat if it covers in 1 over the new primer)

stay with oil since its already up....cant do latex over oil finish without priming first and you would then have to prime every pipe in the joint then 2 coats latex finish if you switch therefor doubling your work and cost for no real benefit...........
Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Mike K

Quote:
having the ''workers'' paint the joint has Lawsuit written all over it......esp with todays Lead paint rules and regulations..........better do your homework....................
Do my Homework? thanks allot!
I am one of these "workers" trying to protect myself. Im trying to find a paint I can recommend to management.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Super Master Painter

Quote:
I am one of these "workers" trying to protect myself. Im trying to find a paint I can recommend to management.

look into the new EPA lead rules then if you want to protect yourself.......in reality you would be fine but the goverment doesnt think so and they are always right ...... go to Pianttalk.com they have all types of info on the new rules there
Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Super Master Painter

Quote:

i recomend using the OIL that they have been using for past how ever many years......if it isnt broke why fix it???? ........ you start messing with those old pipes and youll just be opening a can of WHO KNOWS WHAT............general room of thumb is, any building built before 1978 most likely has lead paint somewhere and if you go sanding down pipes in said building you guys (company owner) could get in some trouble if somebody reports you or an employee CLAIMS that he got sick or something 10 yrs from now............if i were you id make sure i was getting paid extra............i have to stop now before i get in trouble

click on EPA link below

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm

Last edited by Ole34; 02-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

I would us Sherwin Williams DTM(direct to metal) primer/finish acrylic for interior and for exterior I would use Sherwin Williams Procryl primer top coated with DTM acrylic. We use these products on a regular basis in industrial and commercial settings on metal including all types of pipes and metal bank curbs, doors etc. There is no need to use an oil base. An oil base will adventually become brittle. An acrylic retains color better, is elastic, can take heat better and is more mold/mildew resistant.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
GirlPainter (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
There is no need to use an oil base..

you payin for the job???? if not then there is a real reason to use oil.........1 coat is cheaper then 2 ........oil will hold up just fine on those old pipes and judging by the fact that the workers are doing the work im sure the owner doesnt just throw money around.............if he did he would have been hiring outside help long ago........and depending on the condition of the pipes i dont care what you put on there cause the old oil will just push off the NEW LATEX unless you want to recomend sand blasting the pipes also lol ..............wanna know why people have problems with old plaster ceilings painted with fresh latex???? ...............old oil underneath fails and cracks and slowly pushes everything else off !!! ................
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
you payin for the job???? if not then there is a real reason to use oil.........1 coat is cheaper then 2 ........oil will hold up just fine on those old pipes and judging by the fact that the workers are doing the work im sure the owner doesnt just throw money around.............if he did he would have been hiring outside help long ago........and depending on the condition of the pipes i dont care what you put on there cause the old oil will just push off the NEW LATEX unless you want to recomend sand blasting the pipes also lol ..............wanna know why people have problems with old plaster ceilings painted with fresh latex???? ...............old oil underneath fails and cracks and slowly pushes everything else off !!! ................
Either way you will need two coats. There is no need to sand blast them. What is your reason to use oil? A latex paint with 100% acrylic binders will outlast your method, especially suggesting to use zinnser primer. When we paint plaster we seal it first with a low voc fast dry oil primer and then apply latex over that. I don't know how much pipe you have ever painted, but I have painted thousands of linear feet of it over the years of all types.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
you payin for the job???? if not then there is a real reason to use oil.........1 coat is cheaper then 2 ........oil will hold up just fine on those old pipes and judging by the fact that the workers are doing the work im sure the owner doesn't just throw money around.............if he did he would have been hiring outside help long ago........and depending on the condition of the pipes i dont care what you put on there cause the old oil will just push off the NEW LATEX unless you want to recomend sand blasting the pipes also lol ..............wanna know why people have problems with old plaster ceilings painted with fresh latex???? ...............old oil underneath fails and cracks and slowly pushes everything else off !!! ................
The zinser primer that you mentioned does not have a rust inhibitor in it, that's why I suggested to use Sherwin Williams Procryl primer on any bare metal. SW DTM primer/finish will generally cover in one coat. Just because the workers are doing the project doesn't mean that they don't want to use the right materials.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,068

Painting pipes are a royal pain in the butt. You want as few coats as possible. As long as the oil on there now isn't high gloss then you can just put oil right over it. Go get a quart of low voc oil and try some on there and see how it works out.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
Ole34 (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
Super Master Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
. What is your reason to use oil? .

oil = 1 coat.....................read what I type .....................THE guy posting is a WORKER which means he isn't paying for it lol .............bum job from the start so why would you mention latex? which involves 2 coats????
are you paying for it ? or are you just a highballer???? ............... quote every job high as possible and hope you get it

Advertisement