Latex HVLP Spraying On Wood Viscosity Question. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Latex HVLP Spraying on wood viscosity question.

Hi,

I have some previously painted in dark brown acrylic, wood plantation shutters including frames donated to me, from a neighbor who has the same model home as myself.

After scuffing them up a bit with some 220 grit sandpaper, I'm going to paint them all white and install. I have purchased a Harbor Freight Pro HVLP gun Item #68843, which is waterborne paint compatible. I have a decent 5HP 30 gal compressor, so have no qualms about it providing enough CFM

What i'm really unsure about, is the viscosity. I have a Ford # 4 cup so am able to measure viscosity. The nozzle on the gun is 1.4

It should be mentioned that i've never spray painted anything ever, but i think after practicing some, i'll get it done ok.... So this is a learning experience for me.

Given my nozzle is a 1.4. I'm really not sure what i should be aiming for as a starting point on viscosity. I also have some floetrol latex paint additive.

The paint i purchased, which says its good for spraying...... But that bad thing is the instructions only gives specs for an airless setup (2000psi .017" - .021" tip)

As above, I have a gravity fed HVLP spray gun with the 1.4 nozzle. I'll be setting the gun up to have around 22psi at the gun itself, as that's what is generally recommended on YouTube for yielding best results. Here's a pic of the paint.

Does anyone know of a way to figure out what viscosity i should be using, which i can measure using a Ford #4 Viscostiy Cup ??? using a 1.4 nozzle ?

Or at least give me some sort of reference ? Should i even be using the floetrol? The back of the paint tin says thinning not req'd, but that could be with a roller in mind, and not an HVLP gun.

Any tips from those in the know appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by TheDoc46; 01-04-2017 at 01:58 PM.
TheDoc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Re: Latex HVLP Spraying on wood viscosity question.

Viscosity values which are just guidelines normally come with or for the spray gun used and aren't tip size dependent. Tip size is more about the finish desired.

Here's is Fuji spray gun manual which gives viscosity guidelines and tip suggestions but they are for turbine powered guns where pressures are below 10psi. http://www.fujispray.com/fuji_manual_sept_2008.pdf

Floetrol isn't for thinning is increases drying time so the paint can flow together or level out as they say.

Advertisement

wptski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Viscosity values which are just guidelines normally come with or for the spray gun used and aren't tip size dependent. Tip size is more about the finish desired.

Here's is Fuji spray gun manual which gives viscosity guidelines and tip suggestions but they are for turbine powered guns where pressures are below 10psi. http://www.fujispray.com/fuji_manual_sept_2008.pdf

Floetrol isn't for thinning is increases drying time so the paint can flow together or level out as they say.
Cool, so with this all being said,

A WORD ABOUT LATEX (EMULSION) PAINT
Although latex house paint was never originally intended to be sprayed, a
professional finish can be achieved by following a few simple rules.
(Please do not confuse latex with the newer water-based coatings). For
work such as cabinetry or trim, our equipment can be used successfully
with latex paint. The latex will have to be thinned with WATER - approximately
20-30% depending on the brand of paint. And to improve the
finish even more, you can use an additive that will slow down the drying
process so that the paint levels out nicely. One product available is
FLOETROL from the FLOOD Company in Ohio. In the USA Call 1-800-
321-3444 for your nearest supplier. (In the U.K. 0845-0618899).
The ideal Aircap size setup is the #4 for household trim, louver doors etc.
The Latex paint should be ‘finish-quality’ and not a cheaper grade.

No. 4 (Part 9001-4) 1.4mm (.055") MEDIUM OUTPUT - STANDARD

It sounds like i should be bang on the money. Just add 20% water, test and as long as i don't get drip marks, on my test material, go with that.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #4

My favorite story:

I bought some Behr Exterior latex All-in-One for the first time to paint my garage door using a hand held airless with a pressure pot setup. As soon as I started, the tip plugged, cleared it and it plugged again. I was using a .013" tip so I went to a .015" and it still plugged up.

I had made a setup to use my HVLP Fuji Q4 turbine and Gxpc gun with the same pressure pot. I pressured for time so changed over to the Gxpc, no straining, no thinning using a 1.4mm tip and did the job without an issue.

The only change was my HVLP had a Worthy strainer on the pickup tube where the airless used its strainer.

I know a guy who uses a Fuji Q4 also who sprays hundreds of gallons and doesn't thin. He'll warm the paint with warm water at times or use a pressure pot to feed the paint to the tip and the turbine to atomize the paint.

This guy is my spraying idol!
Old 01-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #5

Out of curiosity since i'm learning all about this stuff. How does a $1000+ fuji compare to a full on air setup ? Outside of the obvious being portability. My compressor is a 5HP which delivers 7.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI. My gun is the HF pro HVLP. I have an inexpensive filtration filter on the line, to absorb moisture. Obviously painters going around painting peoples homes and what not, cannot lug a big compressor like that around.. But for pound for pound, how does what one would consider an inexpensive set compare to the fuji airless ?

Last edited by TheDoc46; 01-04-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Can't comment because I've never used that type of HVLP although that's what they use to spray cars/trucks. Fuji doesn't make an airless setup. What I was using was a Graco Truecoat Pro II with a modified tip guard to allow the changing of tips.

One can get a turbine HVLP setup for under $1K but you almost need a 4-stage to spray products without thinning. I think HF sells a small compact turbine setup as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 297

Full disclosure I have never sprayed paint, although in the past year I have fallen in love with spraying wood finishes.

Here is were I would be looking for advice on spraying "latex" paint with a HVLP. It seem to recommend around 23 sec on a #4 Ford (@70 defF).

I haven't researched it thoroughly, but I think most people who do this use a larger tip than you have. I worry you may end up having to thin too much. Your also in MI. I'd be worried about temperature unless your spraying somewhere conditioned. The finishes I usually use don't like temps below 50.

This will take some experimenting and practice. Don't start with your shutters. Start with cardboard, and them move up to scrap wood.
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanterDan View Post
Full disclosure I have never sprayed paint, although in the past year I have fallen in love with spraying wood finishes.

Here is were I would be looking for advice on spraying "latex" paint with a HVLP. It seem to recommend around 23 sec on a #4 Ford (@70 defF).

I haven't researched it thoroughly, but I think most people who do this use a larger tip than you have. I worry you may end up having to thin too much. Your also in MI. I'd be worried about temperature unless your spraying somewhere conditioned. The finishes I usually use don't like temps below 50.

This will take some experimenting and practice. Don't start with your shutters. Start with cardboard, and them move up to scrap wood.
Thanks link doesn't work. Also i'm in SW Florida and this weekend the temps are going to be in the mid 70's, which should be perfect for setting up my paint booth in my garage for this project. With this particular gun, i don't think its going to be easy to find a larger needle, unless they're all interchangeable between manufacturers ? I know HF doesn't sell larger nozzles at least.

Would like to see that link tho, as trying to read up as much as possible before i go at it on Saturday !
Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:

SW Super Paint can be applied down to 35F.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 297

Sorry, don't know what I did wrong with my embedded link, but this was the document I was trying to reference: http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...aying_ver3.pdf.

Somewhere I read that you call Harbor Frieght you can buy needle/nozzle sizes for some of there guns that aren't in there stores/online. No idea if that is true or not.

Glad to hear that it looks like temperature isn't going to an issue for you. I got you mixed up with wptski. (This is all moot, but: wptski is correct there are several paints that can be applied at low temperatures. And perhaps I'm paranoid, but I'd be afraid to push to near the low temperature limit when you are already stressing the paint by aggressively thinning it.)
LanterDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Sorry, don't know what I did wrong with my embedded link, but this was the document I was trying to reference: http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...aying_ver3.pdf.

Somewhere I read that you call Harbor Frieght you can buy needle/nozzle sizes for some of there guns that aren't in there stores/online. No idea if that is true or not.

Glad to hear that it looks like temperature isn't going to an issue for you. I got you mixed up with wptski. (This is all moot, but: wptski is correct there are several paints that can be applied at low temperatures. And perhaps I'm paranoid, but I'd be afraid to push to near the low temperature limit when you are already stressing the paint by aggressively thinning it.)
This is a great article. Thanks. My only confusion is pressure fed vs gravity ?

My gun is a pressure fed (given its hooked to a compressor) and also considered a gravity. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-p...gun-68843.html

Gravity has me out the range with my nozzle, and pressure fed has me in the range.

Another area of concern is where it mentions.... For furniture use, do not use latex wall paint. Instead use 100% acrylic enamel paint.

Wondering if i should take back what i have and go buy some acrylic enamel ? I'll only have one shot at this, if i spray with the wrong stuff its either going to be a huge pain to fix or even worse ruin them. Being plantation shutters, they do have louvers that move up and down.. So i want to make sure i don't paint them shut, so to speak.

I went to just about every local Sherwin Williams the other day asking for advice on what paint to buy, and they all just came back with Acrylic. Is this a case of just plenty of ways to skin a cat, or is it a must that i stick to a mix acrylic enamel.

Also, i tested the existing paint (dark brown) that's already on there, using some acetone and a rub. Given some came off, i assumed it was acrylic. However what would happen if the previous paint job was an acrylic enamel. I'm assuming some paint would still come off on the rub cloth... But would i be able to just use a latex over acrylic enamel ?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #12

By pressure feed means that some HVLP systems, mine being one of the ones that pressure from my turbine is also applied to the product container. So the the product has around 10psi pushing down on it forcing it to the spray tip and also the same 10psi atomizes the product from the air cap so two paths for the pressure.

Don't get Acrylic paints mixed up with enamel oil based paint as they do have water based or water borne Acrylic enamel. If your applying a water based latex or a water based Acrylic enamel over a oil based enamel you might need some special prep so it grabs better like scuffing or using a liquid sanding product.

I've got that same PDF on paint spraying from HomeStead. I bought a 2.5 gallon pressure pot from them a while back too.

Last edited by wptski; 01-05-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

I think what i'm going to do today is run down to Harbor Freight and buy their el-cheapo HVLP gun for $10 and drill the nozzle to 2.0mm and see how that pans out, after setting the viscosity of my latex to 25secs thru a Ford #4 At least let that be my starting point. Who knows i may even be able to return my un-used $60 HF HVLP sprayer. I'm not painting cars here. Just plantation shutters !
Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
I think what i'm going to do today is run down to Harbor Freight and buy their el-cheapo HVLP gun for $10 and drill the nozzle to 2.0mm and see how that pans out, after setting the viscosity of my latex to 25secs thru a Ford #4 At least let that be my starting point. Who knows i may even be able to return my un-used $60 HF HVLP sprayer. I'm not painting cars here. Just plantation shutters !
That's a tiny hole at .078"and might be in stainless steel. Beside that the needle and nozzle are a set, you just change one without the other.

Advertisement