Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Latex on fiberglass shower/tub

Our guest bathroon was painted before we bought the house. When they were cutting in around the shower/tub, they got paint out about 1/4 to 3/8ths of an inch in some places. What could I use to remove that before painting again? The PO left the excess paint from that project and it's latex. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

some sort of plastic scraper

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,220

Soak part of a rag in "GOOF-OFF", the ultimate remover, put it over the top of a 2-inch or 4-inch scraper and gently rub the latex with the rag-soaked scraper. It will come off rather easily. You want to be careful not to scratch the fiberglas.......that's why you cover the scraper with the rag. Of course, test a small area first to be sure you don't discolor the fiberglas.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with Gymschu. But I would add that I find it easier to rub some remover on first, allow it sit, maybe refresh it a bit, then come with your soaked rag scraper. Allow it to pre-soften. I've also removed that stuff by scoring a line down with a blade, then getting the blade under and lifting it up to get a hold and peeling it off in one long strip. Or, running the blade under the length after the cut, almost parallel with the surround surface, carefully. Then wipe any remainging residue with the goof off. I like to get as much stuff off dry as possible. I do a lot of that stuff because when you follow a sloppy painter, his mess could easily be attributed to you. I was blamed once for getting paint on the floor, even showing the lady that it was a different color than I was using she wasn't convinced. She said it wasn't there before I started.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks! I have some goofoff out in the garage. I was a little worried how it would affect the resin coating. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I agree with Gymschu. But I would add that I find it easier to rub some remover on first, allow it sit, maybe refresh it a bit, then come with your soaked rag scraper. Allow it to pre-soften. I've also removed that stuff by scoring a line down with a blade, then getting the blade under and lifting it up to get a hold and peeling it off in one long strip. Or, running the blade under the length after the cut, almost parallel with the surround surface, carefully. Then wipe any remainging residue with the goof off. I like to get as much stuff off dry as possible. I do a lot of that stuff because when you follow a sloppy painter, his mess could easily be attributed to you. I was blamed once for getting paint on the floor, even showing the lady that it was a different color than I was using she wasn't convinced. She said it wasn't there before I started.

Joe, reminds me of a story........painting exterior windows that were painted shut many times over......I asked the woman if she would like them unstuck.....she says no.....I paint them as they were and finish the job. Two weeks later she calls screaming and crying that I painted her windows shut. I drive out and unstick them reminding her that she told me to simply paint them as they were. Nothing worse than getting blame for something you weren't responsible for.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote