Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

Laquer to Satin Finish

I know this sounds a bit crazy, but I have something I'd like to refinish in a satin. It is currently a high gloss and I love the color, but it would match some other things I have in the room much better if it was a satin finish. It is solid wood and made of maple I believe, if that makes a difference. I've never done much wood working so I wanted to know how hard it would be to change the finish without ruining the color. Thanks!

levetan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #2

Laquer to Satin Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by levetan75 View Post
I know this sounds a bit crazy, but I have something I'd like to refinish in a satin. It is currently a high gloss and I love the color, but it would match some other things I have in the room much better if it was a satin finish. It is solid wood and made of maple I believe, if that makes a difference. I've never done much wood working so I wanted to know how hard it would be to change the finish without ruining the color. Thanks!
You could try rubbing it with a "rubbing compound". Auto stores sell them to body shops that refinish cars, but I just watched a YouTube video where a guy used TurtleWax Rubbing Compound (which should be available even at stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart etc.) that might be what you are after.

The idea is to put millions of very small scratches in your finish to knock it down from a gloss to a satin.

Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Stairguy

Laquer to Satin Finish

dido on the rubbing compound. They also sell Pumice at some paint and hardware stores, which is a very fine powder with the slightest amount of grit. you can get medium, fine or extra fine. just pinch a little powder on your wood and rub with a wet rag until it dulls the finish. You can also do a wet sand with 1000-3000 grit paper.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finishing, laquer, satin