Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Share |

Lap marks????

So I just put the second coat of Dunn Edwards Suprema on the walls, the sheen is eggshell. I can't tell if I am seeing lapmarks, shadows, waves in the drywall creating shadows, or the irregularity of the heavy knockdown texture? I have attached a couple photos. I put the first coat down on Sat morning and the second down yesterday. I was careful to load the roller with the same amount of paint and I overlapped the wet edge by about 3" with each pass and even the paint out. It was perfectly uniform when wet. So are you seeing anything that resemble lap marks? we don't have window covering on the windows so the lighting will never be light this. I have noticed that eggshell and knockdown will play tricks with your eyes. In the one corner I thought it looked darker like my cut in was darker in color, when I turned the lights on it went away. Strange what shadows will do. What you think?

Last edited by titan7; 12-05-2011 at 03:18 PM.
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Lap marks????

Did you finish stroke in one direction?
It really isn't too bad- when you get the W treatments up you will not know

Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Lap marks????

Looks pretty good from here, different lighting will throw shadows and make the finish appear to be different colors
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Lap marks????

I started rolling about 2/3 of the way up the wall stopping about 1" below the ceiling and coming back down to the floor. I would go back up my line to the ceiling and come back to the floor on the taller section of the wall I reloaded the roller and started from the ground all the way to the ceiling and back to the ground again. I could not see lap marks but it's weird the way the light and shadows affects the paint. I would have gone Flat or Velvet but the same color took on a darker tone with a slight green tint, strange! the other rooms already had eggshelll so I thought it would be best to stick with the same sheen.

Could I put some paint on a roller and roll out those questionable spots or would that cause a bigger issue.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

Lap marks????

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
Could I put some paint on a roller and roll out those questionable spots or would that cause a bigger issue.
Although it's tempting to do so, DON'T or you will be painting the whole wall again.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

Lap marks????

Quote:
So I just put the second coat of Dunn Edwards Suprema on the walls, the sheen is eggshell. I can't tell if I am seeing lapmarks, shadows, waves in the drywall creating shadows, or the irregularity of the heavy knockdown texture? I have attached a couple photos. I put the first coat down on Sat morning and the second down yesterday. I was careful to load the roller with the same amount of paint and I overlapped the wet edge by about 3" with each pass and even the paint out. It was perfectly uniform when wet. So are you seeing anything that resemble lap marks? we don't have window covering on the windows so the lighting will never be light this. I have noticed that eggshell and knockdown will play tricks with your eyes. In the one corner I thought it looked darker like my cut in was darker in color, when I turned the lights on it went away. Strange what shadows will do. What you think?

Many years ago when I was still in sales, I had sold the paint on a new-construction, massive retirement/apartment complex. Total job took about $40K worth of paint...monster job. About half-way through the project, the painter, also the drywall installer, called to say they were throwing us off the job 'cause our interior paints wouldn't touch up (up to this point we'd had no prior troubles with touch-ups)...We argued for awhile about how to touch-up paint in a new construction environment, then he offered me $1000 if I could get this paint to touch-up in the unit they were having problems with...

When I got there, the painter, his crew and the general contractor were there to watch me embarrass myself attempting to do what this "professional painter" was unable to do. The wall in question looked like your wall in the picture - long wall with a window on the perpendicular wall at the end. Looking at a wall, at a parallax, with a light source at the end is probably the worst way ever to view a paint job.

The spot he was having such trouble with - according to painter, he had touched up this "spot" on several occasions and still it looked like hell - the "spot" that wouldn't touch-up, even though he had tried several times, was (are you ready for this?) a shadow. The joint on one of his drywall seams had bellied out so much that a shadow was caused by the afternoon sun coming through the window. I convinced him of this only after I took the GC's level to the wall to show the gap created by the poor workmanship. He then demanded, in front of the GC, that I mix a paint to touch up the shadow so that it look like the rest of the wall....

I know this really doesn't have anything to do with your situation (which looks fine, btw) I just enjoy telling that story. Oh, get some furniture and window treatments in the room and I think everything will look great.

Never did get my $1000

Last edited by ric knows paint; 12-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Lap marks????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Did you finish stroke in one direction?
It really isn't too bad- when you get the W treatments up you will not know
That harsh sidelight is your worst enemy. I doubt it would give even the best painter a break. As BJ said, once the window treatments block that light, you'll never see it (It looks fine to me now, I'm humoring you). In case you didn't hear Gymschu, DON'T touch that wall, it looks fine. There is no touch up with sheen, on walls anyway. It looks like you do nice work, very professional. Good job.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

Lap marks????

Thanks guys!! I figured roller marks are from too much paint building at the edges of the roller or in the case of dry rolling, leaving areas that did not get adequate paint. I believe this is from shadows and the knock down texture the area that looks a bit darker looks perfect straight on. I will put my 8' level on the wall tonight to check it out. Funny story!!!

I would have done flat or velvet but the color looked bland, the eggshell has some pop and looks a bit lighter, not sure why since it's the same color??
Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #9

Lap marks????

Quote:
Thanks guys!! I figured roller marks are from too much paint building at the edges of the roller or in the case of dry rolling, leaving areas that did not get adequate paint. I believe this is from shadows and the knock down texture the area that looks a bit darker looks perfect straight on. I will put my 8' level on the wall tonight to check it out. Funny story!!!

I would have done flat or velvet but the color looked bland, the eggshell has some pop and looks a bit lighter, not sure why since it's the same color??
Color is a reflection of light, different sheens will reflect more or less light, therefore the same color will look slightly different across the sheens. There is a post around here where that is expressed in more depth, I think by Ric knows paint.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #10

Lap marks????

well I think I determined whats happening. I got my 8' level out and the are some waves in my wall. This is why I tell people never put a level on your walls, LOL. So at one point in the center of the wall I have gaps between 1/16" to 1/4"over a 4' span. You would never know unless you put a level across it. The worst is in the first photo, just before the outlet it the wall looks just slightly darker, there is section between the studs where the wall sucks in about 1/4". If you look at the wall strait on the coverage is perfect. Only by standing a foot off the wall with the light source 28 feet away can you see this very slight issue that was aggravated by the sheen. Well, at least my painting was good!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Lap marks????

Nobody will ever notice

except you and you just need to foget about it and move on.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-06-2011), ltd (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Learning Things Every Day

Lap marks????

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Nobody will ever notice

except you and you just need to foget about it and move on.
+1

Every little thing can seem to stand out in an empty room that has nothing else to look at.

Furnish it. Call it a day.
Gymschu (12-06-2011), ltd (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #13

Lap marks????

Agree, getting baseboards primed and painted now. thanks for your suggestions.