Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Kitchen Trim Paint Dilemma

We have a house that was built in 1927 that still has the original dark chestnut trim. The previous owner painted over that trim just in the kitchen. We stripped it back to it's original color to match the rest of the downstairs trim. Now we redid our entire kitchen and have new medium "cappuccino" that match the trim. However, the crown molding in the room and the newer moldings around the windows and basement and bathroom doors are new and only paintable, not stainable. What color do I paint them? The previous owner had wallpaper and painted all the trim an ugly seafoam green so they desperately need to be painted. Do I paint them white or brown (matching as close to the cabinet color that I can) or the wall color (which is blue - Sonata in Behr paints)? HELP! My husband is painting the walls now and I'll need to make a decision soon. Thanks!

aurora49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I am a color consultant but cannot visualize your situation without seeing images. If you need help before I can get back to you?

Download a free pixel grabber and set it to capture the RGB codes of the digital images you take of your cabinets and upload to your computer. Plunk that RGB code into the paint manufacturer of your choice at www.easyrgb.com Then take the company paint codes and use their virtual painting programs to see what your room will look like.

I am also a high end interior painter and restorer of antique homes.

You do not want to be wasting money on cheap box store crap paint like Behr. Get to know your paint store. Benjamin Moore is my fave and Sherwin Williams is second.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora49 View Post
We have a house that was built in 1927 that still has the original dark chestnut trim. The previous owner painted over that trim just in the kitchen. We stripped it back to it's original color to match the rest of the downstairs trim. Now we redid our entire kitchen and have
Quote:
new medium "cappuccino"
that match the trim. However, the crown molding in the room and the newer moldings around the windows and basement and bathroom doors are new and only paintable, not stainable. What color do I paint them? The previous owner had wallpaper and painted all the trim an ugly seafoam green so they desperately need to be painted. Do I paint them white or brown (matching as close to the cabinet color that I can) or the wall color (which is blue - Sonata in Behr paints)? HELP! My husband is painting the walls now and I'll need to make a decision soon. Thanks!
What is a new medium cappuccino? Did you get that at Starbucks? You may have meant cabinets. If your walls are blue and your cabinets are a brown shade (cappuccino) you may want to consider painting the trim a color which would transition the brown and blue.

White trim may be to much contrast with the blue and brown. An antique white or bone color may work a little better. Antique white has a vague yellow tint which flies well with both of your other colors. If your ceiling is white it will blend with that pretty well to avoid the boxing in issue if you paint your crown molding to dark.

You should try to paint all your trim the same color to avoid a busy effect. Before you pick your final color you may want to get a sample color and paint some trim near a cabinet and wall to see how it flows.

Good Luck to ya,

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin M.; 01-02-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Yes, I meant to say cabinets. That's the color name the cabinet company came up with. I would call it chestnut. We also have light laminate wood flooring to go with the real hard wood throughout the rest of the house. It's hard to describe but it's very pretty. All the wood has matching dark grain so that ties it all together. I didn't really mean white white, I was thinking an ivory or off white. The ceilings are Swiss Coffee (wow, for someone who doesn't like coffee, with all the color names, I certainly could be decorating a Starbucks!) although I like the dark trim that we stripped (had to get rid of the crappy paint job anyway) I think we are going to have to repaint it with the light color to make all the trims match. So will light trim go with dark cabinets? I want to avoid creating a box look around the kitchen ceiling that dark trim would create.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #5

PS Behr paint is awesome! I've used it in four homes now and love the results everytime. We used the paint & primer in one and got excellent coverage! Especially over the new drywall walls. Two coats and we were done. Expensive paint doesn't mean it's better paint.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Yes, I meant to say cabinets. That's the color name the cabinet company came up with. I would call it chestnut. We also have light laminate wood flooring to go with the real hard wood throughout the rest of the house. It's hard to describe but it's very pretty. All the wood has matching dark grain so that ties it all together. I didn't really mean white white, I was thinking an ivory or off white. The ceilings are Swiss Coffee (wow, for someone who doesn't like coffee, with all the color names, I certainly could be decorating a Starbucks!) although I like the dark trim that we stripped (had to get rid of the crappy paint job anyway) I think we are going to have to repaint it with the light color to make all the trims match. So will light trim go with dark cabinets? I want to avoid creating a box look around the kitchen ceiling that dark trim would create.
For the trim I was thinking a decaf mocha latte with extra whip cream. LOL!! or an off white!!!

Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
PS Behr paint is awesome! I've used it in four homes now and love the results everytime. We used the paint & primer in one and got excellent coverage! Especially over the new drywall walls. Two coats and we were done. Expensive paint doesn't mean it's better paint.
I use to think Behr paint was good too -- years ago. It probably was a better paint then than it is now. I had not tried Sherwin Williams or any others back then -- I since have and can only say "OMG what a wonderful difference!" For me, no more Behr!!
roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Here is what most believe
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

Most is not all. I just used some and it covered fine (light color over a deep red with one coat).
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #10

Others have told me that Behr paint sucks but can't explain to me why or why other paint is better. It just "is". That's not good enough for me. Unless I have a problem with it, I don't see me changing any time soon.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Here is what most believe

Behr is absolute crap. But it is your house and I guess laminate flooring is acceptable to you so your standards must be different than any of the clients I work for. Just curious whether you got it at Home Depot too?

Even if you can manage to get Behr on a wall without it sagging, try to wash or even wipe it off even once and most if it will be stuck to whatever rag or sponge you use. This is only on reason those of us who paint at times for a living will not touch it or any other box store paint brand! As for your argument about price vs. quality? If price is the concern, buy the contractor grades of paint from Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams at a real paint store. They will be about the same price as Behr crap and much better paint.

And by the way, and even the real paint brands are attempting to sell the concept? Primer and paint are and forever shall be two different things. The chemistry is different and you cannot combine them in the same can.

Anyhow I thought of other tools I use in color consulting I thought you might like to play with. Color Impact is my fave color exploration tool. It will set you back $40 if you want to buy it but I think you can play with it for 30 days. I think the web address is www.tigercolor.com. It was created by a guy in Oslo of all places but is great. It has lots of fun tools including a color wheel that can amaze you for hours. The tools I use most are the ones where I can pick a hue and then tint, shade or whatever. I use the color blender a lot too. Pick one color as a starting point and another as an end point. The software will create an extraordinary realm of color possibilities between the two. As mentioned in a previous post, just grab a color you like from the rainbow with its RGB code, get a paint chip name or number at www.easyrgb.com (they do not have Behr codes last time I looked), go to one of the virtual painting programs offered my major comapanies and you are good to go.

www.colourlovers.com is great too. If you post your situation there you will get tons of helpful responses.

I am still not going to offer you a color choice without seeing a picture of what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds like you have a nice color inventory in your mind which is more than a lot of people do.

Don't use Behr paint though. This is your home! Why compromise it with crappy paint!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #12

sdsester,
The links to all the color software is useful.

I have a fantastic CRT monitor with a color calibration tool (set up for color retouching) but it has passed the end of it's accurate useful life...it is too dark so can no longer be calibrated accurately. A new monitor is on the near horizon but not at the present moment. I wish I had it dialed in as the software you referenced looks to be a real aid.
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #13

I've already used the Behr paint, you are not going to change my mind. I like it, I can clean it just fine and it's got great coverage. Now, are you going to mark off points on my "standards" because my husband is installing the cabinets and the floors and doing all the work or...horror of all horrors, because my light switch plates were purchased at Walmart! (Really nice GE brand brushed satin nickel plates for $2.24 for any non-interior designers out there.) I'm sorry, I thought this was a DIY message board, my mistake. No, my laminate flooring is not from Home Depot. Frankly, other than the Behr paint and Ryobi tools, I hate Home Depot. BUT I do love Lowes! Which is where we purchased our laminate flooring and our lighting. We choose laminate not because we can't afford hard wood or because our "standards" are low, it was because of it's durability in a kitchen, which of course is also where our dog spends all of his time when we are not home. So sometimes, when decorating, you do have to think practically and not just "what's going to look the most expensive so I can impress my friends." I guess the custom cabinets and Ceasarstone countertops and stainless steel appliances may give us a few "standard" points for you but it seems in your eyes, you'll never see past our "crappy" paint.

So enough responses, I've made up my mind so no need to wait for photos. Boy am I sorry I joined just to ask this question with the hopes of getting some creative answers from other DIYers. If I had known this was for "high end interior designers," I would have just gone and hired one.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #14

I'm sorry I opened a can of worms by suggesting consideration for another company's paint. I really was trying to be helpful, not offend you or anyone else.

I don't agree with slams that are made on this forum. We all have the right to use whatever product suits us best -- for whatever reason we have!

I agree that some of the harsh comments made on this forum make the forum appear to be something other than what it's name (and I think intent) suggests and can make many leave as quickly as they come to this forum. It happened to me too, but I decided to let such comments roll off my back and take from the forum what is good and helpful to me and ignore the rest.

That being said, please reconsider continuing to use this forum as it is a wealth of information and there are a lot of really good and helpful people and only a small handful of folks who prefer to slam and downgrade.
roxksears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

[quote=aurora49;375927]I've already used the Behr paint, you are not going to change my mind.

Ok. It is your house. I would not allow it in mine or those of any of my clients.