Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Kitchen painting questions after odd Benjamin Moore visit

Hi all!
I'm new to posting, though I read a lot.

I've been doing quite a bit of work in the old house lately, and the most recent project is repainting the kitchen/dining room. It's all drywall (ugh) due to a reno a few years ago. It was painted at that time with contractor grade paint. Supposedly 1 layer of primer and 1 of paint (though I am pretty sure that isn't what they did).

I've done my other rooms in Behr (yeah, I know, but it's worked ok for me) but thought I would give Benjamin Moore a try. So, I headed off to the local paint store that has it. I was all prepared to get a gallon of Fresh Start, 2 gallons of Aura, and a gallon of regal eggshell for the ceiling.

The man who helped me, a nice older gentleman, was really reluctant to let me spend my money. It was quite odd. He insisted that I only needed one gallon of paint, no primer, Regal instead of Aura, and Muresco Ceiling White. I guess I should have been more assertive, but I was hoping that going to a paint store meant expertise.

I'm not too worried about the Regal or only having 1 gallon. I'm sure the paint will be fine and I can always go get another gallon. But, I'm not sure about the no primer advice or the ceiling paint in a kitchen.

What do you think? Do I need to go back and get primer (or use the gallon of other primer I already have)? Should I return the ceiling white and get something with some sheen for the ceiling because it's a kitchen?

TIA for your help!

Lorin
sixxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Lorin, my main concern would be the Muresco for the ceiling. A kitchen ceiling should have some resistance to steam and be washable to remove cooking grease/foodstuff. I would go with your first inclination and get the eggshell.

As to the primer, that's a toss up. Technically, a two year old painted surface shouldn't need a primer, other than maybe some spot priming from patches or with a sealer for food/oily spots/stains. However, since you said it's a contractors grade finish, it could be utter junk, and since it's one coat over primer, the surface is probably not sufficiently sealed.
That means that the first coat of your high grade finish will be required to do that and you'll sacrifice some of its sheen and color as it will be absorbed into the unsealed previous coat. After the second coat, you'll have what amounts to one and a half coats or less of new finish, and your final result will not shine like it would were the original surface properly sealed. You're not going to get the full bang for your buck. It's happened to me.
The choice is now yours. It's a trade off, more work for a better finish or less work for a lesser finish.
This is where the Aura may be worth the money. BM claims it as a paint and primer in one. I've used it over bare drywall and it sealed great and looked beautiful after two coats. It may be an option for you.
Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go and get something in an eggshell for the ceiling. I'll feel better about it and I can just hold onto the flat for when I paint the living room.

I have most of a gallon of other brand primer from a prior project. It shouldn't matter what brand goes under the BM paint, right?

Lorin
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

+1 on the Aura
2 coats no primer needed.
I would go with matte instead of eggshell.
palnews26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

palnews26

I would certainly try Aura for the walls if I had nothing yet, but I'm not going to burn a $50 gallon of Regal So, with the regal, would you say go ahead and prime? Brand of primer matter? I've read pretty mixed reviews of Aura for ceilings, are you suggesting the Aura matte for the ceiling?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #6

If you want to use the Regal it's great for ceilings.
It's what we use. I personally like Flat or Matte for ceilings.
Priming is only necessary for any areas you spackle. Any quality latex primer will do. No primer required with Aura.
If it's a dark color the Aura would be better.
If you throw food on the ceiling and want to wash it Aura eggshell would be better.
Otherwise Regal is great.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by palnews26 View Post
If you want to use the Regal it's great for ceilings.
It's what we use. I personally like Flat or Matte for ceilings.
Priming is only necessary for any areas you spackle. Any quality latex primer will do. No primer required with Aura.
If it's a dark color the Aura would be better.
If you throw food on the ceiling and want to wash it Aura eggshell would be better.

good one

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
My children would consider that a challenge
It's a mid-level color and I'm doing the ceiling white, so I'm going to try the regal on the wall (can't return it anyway) and if it doesn't work out, I'll go get the Aura!

Thanks for the advice and info.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

I wouldn't use "Regal" on the wall's.
It's not very washable and it scuffs easily.
I thought it was about the ceiling.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
I wouldn't use "Regal" on the wall's.
It's not very washable and it scuffs easily.
I thought it was about the ceiling.
I've been using Regal for years and find that the eggshell version is very washable and have no problems with scuffing.

Just an FYI as to earlier replies, the Regal Select is the version Ben Moore labels as "paint and primer in one", and Aura is labeled as "self-priming on most surfaces".

I'm not sure why you were told by the employee not to buy Aura. In my experience with Ben Moore, if I ask for something specific, they just give it to me; asking for advice- different story. But I've never had a situation like this where I wanted something and they tried to talk me into something else. Maybe something in your conversation led the guy to believe you were asking for advice and he felt that you're best bang for the buck option for the details you gave were to go with Regal? Just guessing, because I can't figure out why you'd go in for the most expensive paint and be talked out of it.

Regardless of that, don't be afraid to use the Regal wherever you want. If you were happy with Behr, you will be thrilled with Regal.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

Pucks101,

I was a little confused myself! I had been in the prior week to look at colors etc., but this gentleman wasn't there. So, when I went back, I didn't need to look around - just told him I needed 2 gallons of Steel Blue for a kitchen. He told me that I would only need a gallon and to just come back if I needed more. Then, he started to reach for the Regal and I said that I was planning to go with Aura and his response was "oh, you don't need that." I'm sure he would have sold it to me if I insisted But, at the time, I was thinking maybe he knew something I didn't know about the paint. So, then I asked about primer and he said I shouldn't get that either.

People tend to tell me that I look younger than I am, so maybe he was just trying to save a youngin' some money.

At any rate, I primed the walls and painted with the Regal (Classic). It went fine. It did require two coats, but I have yet to find a paint that doesn't. I didn't find it so much better than Behr premium (sorry, I know that's a dirty word). I did the ceiling with an eggshell and the trim in semi-gloss. I still need to do one more coat of trim and hit some tiny areas that I had taped (don't tape often and this reminds me why) where there are white gaps after the tape was removed.

All in all, it looks good and hopefully will wear well.
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #12

I didn't realize it was Regal Eggshell you had purchased.
I thought you had Regal Flat which doesn't wash well and scuffs.
The eggshell should be fine.
Give Aura a try sometime. You'll definately notice a difference.
Cheers
Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #13

Sixx-

Definitely a weird situation, but glad it worked out in the end. As for the Behr Ultra, I'm not surprised you didn't find a big difference during application, because I found Behr to be pretty user friendly. The big difference I think you will find is over the next few years; Your regal will still be looking good long after the Behr would have started to break down and fade away...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaMelillo View Post
bumb ubm!
What does that mean?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #15

I just recalled that I promised pictures of this project outcome and never provided them. After a month, we are still happy with the paint, so yay so far.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=a503fdd8e8

Tags
aura, benjamin moore, kitchen, muresco, regal