Kitchen Ceiling Paint Is Peeling In Sheets! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen ceiling paint is peeling in sheets!

OMG! I was installing recessed lights and then I found out that the kitchen ceiling paint was peeling in sheets! The current coat of paint doesn't stick to the previous paint at all. You can just peel them in large sheets. See photos. How bad is this? Is it common?

This is my own kitchen. I bought this house 6 months ago and the selling agent has done some cosmetic "cover-ups" before listing the house.

What is my options?

1) Peel a small area of it and then patch up the wall and pretend nothing has happened.

2) Peel the whole kitchen ceiling, prime and then paint?
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen ceiling paint is peeling in sheets!-cimg8886_s.jpg   Kitchen ceiling paint is peeling in sheets!-cimg8888_s.jpg  

Advertisement

htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,294

Cheap paint applied to get a quick sell. Looks like they painted right over a Semi-gloss without sanding and applying a bonding primer. Looks like you will be able to get the current coat off rather easily. Once you peel it all off, scuff sand the ceiling, remove dust, apply bonding primer and 2 finish coats and you will be good to go.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

I feel for you! But you won't have much left on the ciling after pulling it all down: it could be worse (a lot worse)

Sometimes I swear that last-minute pre-sale touchups are the worst thing: people don't have to live with their knee-jerk work.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Cheap paint applied to get a quick sell. Looks like they painted right over a Semi-gloss without sanding and applying a bonding primer. Looks like you will be able to get the current coat off rather easily. Once you peel it all off, scuff sand the ceiling, remove dust, apply bonding primer and 2 finish coats and you will be good to go.
Is sanding a must for painting on semi-glass paint? Or is it just optional. I will definitely use primer. But sanding the ceiling is a big job - pain in the neck, literally.

BTW, I tried sanding it with 120 grit sand paper just now. The original layer of paint is pretty slippery. I can't seem to get any traction on it and thus I can't sand the original paint surface unless I do it really hard.

Last edited by htabbas; 12-22-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you get a hand sander or a pole sander it will actually go quick. it is insurance- you don't have to sand hard, just scuff the gloss so the new paint has something to grip to- prime with a -bonding- primer- Zin 123, gripper, BM first coat etc.
Just read you edit- I bet the paint is an oil; gloss- makes the scuffing even more important.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

yea go for it a spray bottle of warm water may help.try and peel paint off as big pieces as you can.be careful when you get to where the ceiling meets the wall use a single edge razor and cut it off clean . if the ceiling is this way the wall might be to. .for this i would go with zinsser cover stain. its a oil base bonding primer .or you could use something like zinsser 123 water base .but seeing your problem you still have to clean ,rinse.lightly scuff sand.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by htabbas View Post
Is sanding a must for painting on semi-glass paint? Or is it just optional. I will definitely use primer. But sanding the ceiling is a big job - pain in the neck, literally.

BTW, I tried sanding it with 120 grit sand paper just now. The original layer of paint is pretty slippery. I can't seem to get any traction on it and thus I can't sand the original paint surface unless I do it really hard.
That paper is too fine, pole sand with 80 grit ,as brush said prime it also , it looks like oil to me.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

You don't really need to scuff sand over semi-gloss if you use a decent quality primer.

I would guess that the old semi-gloss is oil-based? Scuff-sanding is a good idea before applying water-based products to ensure adhesion; but if not sanding, use a premium adhesion/all-purpose primer.

An oil or oil-hybrid primer is often great in kitchens to cover stains/yellowing and get a nice clean white ceiling, in addition to great adhesion, FYI.
ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #9

I have spent ~6 hours trying to peel the paint off but I am only able to get about 50% of them off. In some areas, the paint is not easily peeled off you have to scrub it hard to get it off. In other areas, the paint sticks very well. What is my options at this point? Please advise. I am almost breaking down mentally.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Sure looks like that's the culprit.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #11

Does the paint come off more near to where cooking grease rises off the stove? Could be the difference...paint doesn't stick well to dirt.

In anycase, the areas where the paint sticks well:

- Have you scraped with a metal scraper or putty knife?
- You can try using a heat gun to help loosen the paint while scraping, or also try using water/ soapy water to soften it (in a spray bottle or with a sponge, etc)
- if none of that works, just try to scrape down to flat sections of paint, and you could skim coat to smooth out the ridge. if you cant scrape the paint off, it is likely to stay!
ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #12

No, the paint doesn't seem to peel off any easier near to where cooking area. Actually, it comes off easiest just above the dining table.

I spent another 6 hours scrubbing last night and have gotten about 80% of the ceiling off. Some of the remaining section sticks pretty well, others simply I don't have the patience to do it any more.

I am using a metal scrapper to do the job.

Thanks a lot for all the input. This is indeed a depressing job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Painting View Post
Does the paint come off more near to where cooking grease rises off the stove? Could be the difference...paint doesn't stick well to dirt.

In anycase, the areas where the paint sticks well:

- Have you scraped with a metal scraper or putty knife?
- You can try using a heat gun to help loosen the paint while scraping, or also try using water/ soapy water to soften it (in a spray bottle or with a sponge, etc)
- if none of that works, just try to scrape down to flat sections of paint, and you could skim coat to smooth out the ridge. if you cant scrape the paint off, it is likely to stay!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Take a 2 by 4 up side the selling agents head,you will feel better.
You ae at the point now of just skimming over the edges of the paint that is still tight. Sand it down with 100 grit, re apply if needed,sand again, clean all the dust off, apply a good bonding primer( Bullseye123), paint.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Take a 2 by 4 up side the selling agents head,you will feel better.
You ae at the point now of just skimming over the edges of the paint that is still tight. Sand it down with 100 grit, re apply if needed,sand again, clean all the dust off, apply a good bonding primer( Bullseye123), paint.
Just finished the first skim coat. How long can I start sanding it down? I am using the quick mud 20 which cures in 20 minutes. And how do you dust off? I am afraid to wipe it. Can I use a compressor tank? Thanks!

Again, this is taking me ridiculous amount of time. I just wonder what would a contractor do if he encounters such situation.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

20 sands pretty tough. Are you putting a premixed over that for easier sanding? It can be second coated as soon as hard, but for sanding it needs to be completely dry, not just hard. If you are in a hurry, put a fan on it - that will speed up drying considerably.
Use a trouble light to sand- and a hand sander and a sponge ( med grit) and after you prime, look it over with the light again- you will for sure see things that will need a little touch up.

If you have a shop vac- you can put a wide tool on it and vac off the dust. you will need it for clean up anyway.

If I as a pro I did this i think it would be done very much faster because i would know what to do and how to do it, and have the tools to do it with.
I have done similar jobs hundreds of times.
I guess thats what makes pros.

Advertisement