Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Eager To Learn

Share |

Kitchen Cabinets... How to get this look?

How can I get this look with new "Paint Yourself" cabinets? I know it'll take a few stages. Color suggestions would be very helpful in trying to get something close to the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinets... How to get this look?-beadboard-backsplash.jpg  

jkealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

A good enamel job ids pretty tough for a DIY, and that also looks like its been antiqued.
How to do it? Hire a good pro.

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #3

I agree with Brush. This finish is very difficult even for a pro to do. You first need to understand the substrate and get it to a smooth even finish, do a color glazing and then a final clear coat to protect the finish trying to keep it nice and smooth. This is not a DIY project.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
DIY staff

If you do choose to learn how ,however ,the term for that finish is 'glazed'--- those products are available at good paint shops and some of the larger hobby/craft stores.

Learning on a kitchen is kind of scary---that's an expensive place to practice.

I suggest you try on a small piece of furniture as a first project.

It's an art learned with practice only---Mike----
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Try painting and glazing on practice wood or a small door to see if you are up to this. Your library will have books on these "antiquing" approaches to things. One series I remember, although not specifically aimed at kitchens, was "Recipes for Walls" but there were tons of faux paint scheme instruction books in the late 70s and 80s. People were antiquing all kinds of crap furniture making believe it was 17th century French or something and naturally fitted to their three bedroom track homes.

Gotta be honest with you. I think "the look" out of place even more so than faux painted castle walls in the dining room with eight foot ceiling and those popcorn coated. Looks high school theatrical set and tacky to me even when done well. No cabinets age naturally as uniformly as what you showed in the picture. In a kitchen, the bad jobs I have seen just make it look dirty and in need of old-fashined fly paper and roach discs on the counters.

Not to say I am strongly opinionated about it all. Paint the cabinets nicely or strip and stain them if they are hardwood.

Last edited by user1007; 08-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

I have to disagree with Sdsester about how that finish looks. It was all the rave a few years ago, but under the right setting it looks great.

Manufactures need to boost sales so they try to come up with something new and every homeowner will want. The antiqued finish was first brought in somewhere in the late 80's early 90's. Since then, there is still some call for it so the mfgs still use it.

The question is, what is the best look for the house??????? be it simple clean stained cabinets, antiqued finish, painted what??????????? Only will the homeowner know what they want the final product to look like.

This is to the Original Poster (OP), what do you want your kitchen to look like?? The finish in your pictures is not an easy one to duplicate. It is a learned finish with the proper products. How much time do you have on your hands.

The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (09-01-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #7

I've a funny story about antiqued cabinets. I was running work for a guy about ten years ago, and we were doing a kitchen (was part of a much larger full 1st floor job). I show up for the first day of priming in the kitchen, I have a helper, good kid, but one of the knuckleheaded types with the hiphop style and language. We're greeted in the kitchen by the HO and the architect. Stevie, the knucklehead, sees 80,000.00 worth of brand new antiqued cabinets and asks, "Yo dog, are we painting the cabinets too". Well, the HO and architect, who had resumed thier original discussion, stopped dead in their tracks, like an EF Hutton commercial. I said no to Stevie, they're brand new. He says "Really, they look like they need it". I looked over at the two bewildered onlookers who were just standing there shaking their heads. What a moment. You just can't take some people out of their element.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (09-01-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

Way to Funny Joe, thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Try painting and glazing on practice wood or a small door to see if you are up to this. Your library will have books on these "antiquing" approaches to things. One series I remember, although not specifically aimed at kitchens, was "Recipes for Walls" but there were tons of faux paint scheme instruction books in the late 70s and 80s. People were antiquing all kinds of crap furniture making believe it was 17th century French or something and naturally fitted to their three bedroom track homes.

Gotta be honest with you. I think "the look" out of place even more so than faux painted castle walls in the dining room with eight foot ceiling and those popcorn coated. Looks high school theatrical set and tacky to me even when done well. No cabinets age naturally as uniformly as what you showed in the picture. In a kitchen, the bad jobs I have seen just make it look dirty and in need of old-fashined fly paper and roach discs on the counters.

Not to say I am strongly opinionated about it all. Paint the cabinets nicely or strip and stain them if they are hardwood.

I agree 100%
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm View Post
I have to disagree with Sdsester about how that finish looks. It was all the rave a few years ago, but under the right setting it looks great.

True, it WAS, years ago. Never looked great though, like the fax marble look, just NEVER looks genuine

Manufactures need to boost sales so they try to come up with something new and every homeowner will want. The antiqued finish was first brought in somewhere in the late 80's early 90's. Since then, there is still some call for it so the mfgs still use it.

The question is, what is the best look for the house??????? be it simple clean stained cabinets, antiqued finish, painted what??????????? Only will the homeowner know what they want the final product to look like.

This is to the Original Poster (OP), what do you want your kitchen to look like?? The finish in your pictures is not an easy one to duplicate. It is a learned finish with the proper products. How much time do you have on your hands.

and there is should have stayed or better yet never happened
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I've a funny story about antiqued cabinets. I was running work for a guy about ten years ago, and we were doing a kitchen (was part of a much larger full 1st floor job). I show up for the first day of priming in the kitchen, I have a helper, good kid, but one of the knuckleheaded types with the hiphop style and language. We're greeted in the kitchen by the HO and the architect. Stevie, the knucklehead, sees 80,000.00 worth of brand new antiqued cabinets and asks, "Yo dog, are we painting the cabinets too". Well, the HO and architect, who had resumed thier original discussion, stopped dead in their tracks, like an EF Hutton commercial. I said no to Stevie, they're brand new. He says "Really, they look like they need it". I looked over at the two bewildered onlookers who were just standing there shaking their heads. What a moment. You just can't take some people out of their element.

I would have said the same thing , just not like that
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

NOT being sexist , but maybe it is a difference between us, women like the look and men don't??
Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
Eager To Learn

My entire house is being remodeled/ renovated... When I bought it, everything was dark wood paneling, old broken cabinets, black interior and exterior doors, red shag carpet and iron/rust stains on the sinks and bathtub. Everything is being replaced. My kitchen is TINY to say the least so dark stains are completely out of the question as the room is already dark. I like white cabinets but they seem too modern for the "tuscan" look I'm going for in my kitchen.

If the cabinets I posted are too difficult, I'd love some suggestions that may tie in well with Valspar Green Monsoon paint, grape/wine themes and oil rubbed bronze fixtures (light, pot rack, faucet, cabinet hardware). I haven't chosen the floor or the countertops yet.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #14

If you could take a picture of the cabinets you have and are wanting to paint that will help in giving you advice. Also please let us know how skilled you are at painting and possibly carpentry, maybe some ideas can be added from that direction also.

I sure hope that you are getting your paint from a GOOD paint store and only choose that particular color when visiting the local big box store. I find that Sherwin Williams and Ben Moore paints are a much better choice for a good long lasting paint job. Do a search on this site regarding the different brands of paint. You will learn quite a bit!!!!!!

Best to You

Old 08-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Eager To Learn

The cabinets have not been purchased yet but here is a picture of them from the Lowes website. They are Classic Kitchen's Ready to Finish Oak Cabinets. We will be doing all of the finishing ourselves. My father, who is doing the renovation, has 25+ years experience in the building industry, plus his own personal projects such as additions, remodeling and renovating, kitchens, bathrooms, tiling, painting (inside walls, cabinets, furniture, etc.), siding, framing, roofing, laying different kinds of flooring... He's done work on every home we've ever owned. My fiance, who is helping, has about 10 years experience in carpentry, framing, roofing and much of the same things as my Father, plus plumbing and electric.

The walls are the only things that have been painted so far, the entire house was stripped to it's bones so there haven't been many permanent decisions yet. We're going to pick up the cabinets and flooring this weekend so I really need an idea of what I'd like to do with the cabinets before then
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Cabinets... How to get this look?-cabinet.jpg