Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Hansm14
Share |

Kitchen cabinets

I repainted old cabinets and the paint has started lifting on some of them.I do not know what kind of paint was used before.Would sanding help,to remove some of the sheen,or is priming a better choice?There is shiny paint underneath.After several days they are still tacky.Repainting with the same color,white.

Hansm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #2

Kitchen cabinets

Primer would help however it does not replace sanding. So before painting the first time you should have sanded then use the primmer. You make also have a chemical reaction between the paints. Now that you have peeling and or lifting paint on them they should first be stripped. There are many strippers on the market. I would recommend marking were the doors go and pulling them down for this. Maybe bring one in to the store and see if they can recommend a product to strip them. If you paint over peeling paint it will keep on peeling due to the lower layer of paint still peeling.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Hansm14

Kitchen cabinets

Just the top layer of paint is lifting.The old paint underneath will not lift.I am taking off the new layer.
Hansm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #4

Kitchen cabinets

Hello my problem is also with the kitchen cabinets but it is not about the one the first person said here. In my case the paints are suffering because my kitchen generally remains wet all the time and water drops therefore are prevalent at many places. The paints in the cabinets look like they have got a water mark in them and does not come off even after wiping. Please tell me what should I do to keep the paint as before.
bbmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #5

Kitchen cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmaddy View Post
Hello my problem is also with the kitchen cabinets but it is not about the one the first person said here. In my case the paints are suffering because my kitchen generally remains wet all the time and water drops therefore are prevalent at many places. The paints in the cabinets look like they have got a water mark in them and does not come off even after wiping. Please tell me what should I do to keep the paint as before.

Maybe try a marine grade paint that is designed for a extremely wet environment. or possibly laminate cabinets and doors.

Why is your kitchen so wet?
Do you live on a coast or somthing?