Kitchen Cabinet Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

I have followed the procedure to paint my kitchen cabinets including using TSP to wash them and slightly sand them. Then I painted with with a kitchen / bathroom 100% acrylic latex paint. The paint is not holding up as well as I thought it would as I make some scratch marks (in some areas) from my nails when I open the cabinets. Question I have is there some type of glaze or urethane sealer I can use to give the cabinets a hard protective coating. Or should I just slightly sand the paint job and redo the paint job with a melamine paint?
Sure would appreciate some help. Thank you

Advertisement

Matara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

You are expecting what a lot of DIYer's do. Quality finish with DIY methods. Cabinets need to hold up to scratches, moisture and wear. UV light protection. Paint will not do it! Nothing applied over a surface that is not adhering will help. Finishes work together to chemically and physically (Each coat is cross-linked at the molecular level) join to provide a long lasting protective surface. Without spray equipment and use of proper materials you will not get a lasting job. The best you can do now is remove the incorrect paint already applied. Use an enamel underbody primer. Use a oil base satin paint. Two part polyurethanes are hard enough to be used in cabinets. manufactures finish with post catalyized nitrocellous lacquer.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

Okay thank you for your reply. Although I can't see why it is such a procedure when you read online the method to painting cabinets says nothing more than what I did. I will probably sand down the cabinets and then paint them with a melamine paint.
Matara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

Just explaining that what you can do as DIY project will in no way match a professional finish. if you have good cabinets and care how they look, hire a cabinet refinisher not a painter or handyman. But good results can be accomplished with paint. Did you use a primer? Which one? Are your spraying, brushing or rolling these cabinets? Some tips.. if using a brush use the best brush and use china bristle brushes for oil. Thin the paint on the first coat 10%. Add penetrol to the paint to get a better flow and adhesion. A small foam roller will give a smoother surface than a brush, but not as good a spraying. Apply one coat primer. Sand with 180 grit paper. Clean with mineral spirits and use a tack cloth to get all dust removed. Thin first top coat. Sand with 220 grit paper. Clean as before. Add one of two more top coats. Or use a two part polyurethane for a tougher final top coat. This may yellow slightly. Use water-based poly to reduce yellowing if needed.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

Lack of a quality primer could be a problem. So could the use of wall paint. I would have used a waterbourne enamel here, as opposed to a wall paint.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

Please post up what the cabinets were coated with before, if anything
And what products you used

This could help with the diagnosis of your problem, and the best fix

In general though, w/o the above information, it sounds like you have an adhesion problem
Adhesion problems can not be fixed properly by "sealing them in" with a poly or similar...that's not the poly's job (sealing out stuff is the poly's job) and it may help for a moment, but it will not do it well or for long...if at all
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Cabinet Painting

I hate to say it but I agree with everyone else. But instead of using a difficult pcn laquer you could use a waterbourne laquer which would be alot harder finish than your wall latex. Wall paint is not made for cabinets. I guess it all depends on the current quality of the cabinets as to the worth of re-doing all your hard work. Good Luck.

Advertisement

waynech is offline   Reply With Quote