Kitchen And Bathroom Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

kitchen and bathroom paint

We are painting the bathroom and kitchen . Do we use eggshell or satin for walls and ceiling? Which cleans up better? Which is less shiny?

Advertisement

aunteemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Satin will have less ''shine''..........id put eggshell in the bath and satin in the kitchen but that's me ...............as far as cleaning up goes? well flat is the worst and high-gloss is the best (to put it in laymen's terms)........somebody will be along to explain it better im sure, I suck at explaining stuff

Advertisement

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

Actually Eggshell will have less sheen than Satin... you could check out another tread on the Aura Matte finish - talked a lot about the same stuff as far as painting bathrooms go..

good luck
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazzonetv For This Useful Post:
Woodland (02-13-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Professional Painter

Rewards Points: 10

I might disagree with some of this discussion a litltle bit. Each sheen (glossy coating) has a different purpose. I think the advice about using ...egg shell in the bathroom and satin in the kitchen is great! These two products are very similar in sheen, although the egg shell will work much more effectively in the bathroom b/c of durability and moisture resistant. The satin will show less imperfections in the kitchen and does not need the durability.
I would not go as far to say flat is bad, or semi-gloss is great! Each sheen has a different use and needs to be taken into consideration when using on a surface. I just wrote an article about this if you click below:
http://www.mattroefer.com/blog.htm

Hope this was helpful!
mattroefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattroefer View Post
I might disagree with some of this discussion a litltle bit. Each sheen (glossy coating) has a different purpose. I think the advice about using ...egg shell in the bathroom and satin in the kitchen is great! These two products are very similar in sheen, although the egg shell will work much more effectively in the bathroom b/c of durability and moisture resistant. The satin will show less imperfections in the kitchen and does not need the durability.
I would not go as far to say flat is bad, or semi-gloss is great! Each sheen has a different use and needs to be taken into consideration when using on a surface. I just wrote an article about this if you click below:
http://www.mattroefer.com/blog.htm

Hope this was helpful!
I think I'm getting confused. Matt posted that Eggshell and Satin are similar but that satin will show LESS imperfections????? Matt - you also posted that eggshell is more moisture resistant?????

Meanwhile on that article you referenced, from skimming through it quickly it does show the sheen levels in correct order...

Flat/Matte
Eggshell
Satin
Semi Gloss
Gloss (or high gloss)

Please - OP - look at the thread we just did on the Aura 522 line. We went into a lot of detail on bathroom paints.

If your bathroom has a shower in it (not just a powder room) I would either use the Aura Bath and Spa (if you want a Matte finish) or a Satin or Semi Gloss product. There are lots of Kitchen and Bath enamels out there and almost all of them are Satin Finish - I know of a couple that used to be around in Eggshell but basically, if you have a high humidity area use something that is made for that condition. Many, not all, eggshells could give you surfactant leeching in high humidity locations. Aura bath and spa matte would work great on your bathroom ceiling.

As far as your kitchn goes - that is your preference - I would just use something washable. I have Matte finish in my kitchen. Eggshell would be a good choice as well. Satin and Semi are both rather shiny and will tend to bring out all of those little imperfections. As far as ceilings go in your kitchen, I would stick to a regular flat ceiling white - I hate the way ceilings look with a sheen and honestly - do you really plan on washing your ceiling?
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote