Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Kind of sorry I started this project...

Hi everyone. I have removed the 20 year old wall paper from my kitchen walls. The paper and backing came off really easy. There is, however, glue on the walls that won't wash off. I would like to paint, but the glue is rough. I have tried soaking the glue a while to soften and then sanding, but when I sand it takes up the paper off the drywall. I think I'm creating a bigger mess than I had.
I want a smooth wall to paint on. I called a contractor to come and skim coat the walls but he is 2 months out. I don't want to wait that long.
1. How do I remove the glue without tearing up the wallboard?
2. Is a skim coat the best solution for torn up walls?
3. Can I skim coat the walls without removing the glue?
4. Is a skim coat a DIY job?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

libbylou

libbylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbylou View Post
I want a smooth wall to paint on. I called a contractor to come and skim coat the walls but he is 2 months out. I don't want to wait that long.
If you've never ever done it before it might take to 2 months to get a nice result. JK. But it will take a lot of practice. I've skim coated something like 2000 square feet (four rooms) before I was entirely happy with my speed and result. Now, I can do a very respectable looking job; but it probably takes me 10 times the amount of time that a pro would take.

Quote:

1. How do I remove the glue without tearing up the wallboard?
What have you used to try removing it? Have you tried steam?

Quote:
2. Is a skim coat the best solution for torn up walls?
If you've killed the paper on the drywall then, yes.

Quote:
3. Can I skim coat the walls without removing the glue?
Depends, but it's probably a bad idea.

Quote:
4. Is a skim coat a DIY job?
Sure, but see my comments above.

Give us some pics and more details.

chrisBC (09-15-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

Yes, you do have a mess on your hands! I've done many of these types of jobs & it seems that with each one you run into something different each time that trips you up. Since you have tried sanding off the glue I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it just ain't comin off. I've wetted stubborn glue with a pump sprayer full of hot water and let it work........then I used a 6 inch wallboard knife to scrape it off. But, again, that doesn't always work.

Here's what I would do: Get as much glue off as you can without damaging the wallboard any further........if it's really a struggle to get any to come off, stop. Now, you need to seal up that remaining glue/wallboard damage. I feel that in your case with so many problems facing you, you should use an OIL-based primer/sealer.......why oil base? Well, because a water-based product will allow moisture to lay on the surface and will possibly reactivate any paste on the wall and it may produce bubbles on the wall. I often use KILZ odorless oilbased primer for this purpose. Let the primer dry for a day or so. Now you should have a sound surface for skim coating. To skim, just thin down some joint compound with water.........thin it down so it's the consistency of pancake batter. It helps to have a drill and mud mixer attachment. Now, you can roll the mixture onto the wall with a roller. Then you gently go over the mix with a six-inch wall board knife to smooth it out. You will produce ridges and other imperfect areas by doing this but don't worry too much about it. Allow to dry a day.........now you're ready for a 2nd coat by repeating the process of rolling on the compound and smoothing it out with your wallboard knife. Again, it won't be perfect. Allow to dry. Now you are ready to sand........you can sand with a sponge sander, Drywall screen, or just about any sanding device that will remove ridges and other imperfections in the wall. You can even rent a circular drywall sander that attaches to a vacuum to keep down dust. Once you have sanded smooth, you are ready to knock down or vacuum any remaining dust.......prime & repaint. It's a messy/ugly process but is very much a doable DIY project.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (09-14-2011), libbylou (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

opps!

Last edited by libbylou; 09-14-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Thank you both for responding. I feel like crying or screaming, or both.
That was my first ever post, so let me explain a little more.

I have tried washing the walls with soap and water, hand sanding with sandpaper, and scraping both dry and wet with a razor blade and/or a scraper. These methods are a little successful in removing the paste but if I work it too hard it does take off the top white paper layer of my sheetrock. These places are only a dime or nickle in size because obviously I stop when it starts to tear. I have not tried steam.

Also, the paste is not everywhere. Some spots are worse than others, but some walls are ok.

I think originally, there wasn't a primer coat in between the sheetrock and the original wallpaper. So now when I remove the wallpaper, I am just down to the sheetrock.

I have never skim coated anything and I really don't want to. But I will try! I have patched walls with putty. I think that is all I will need in some spots. I am at work right now, but could post pictures later. I have done a LOT of reading on this sight and everyone says to use HOT water and downey fabric softener and let it soak. Well I think the soaking is what is taking off the paper layer of the drywall. Is this making any sense?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

I think part of the problem is you're scraping with something too sharp. i wet the glue, wait until it softens (almost always I just use water, either with a sponge or a pump sprayer)
Then scrape the majority using a 4 and a 6" mud knife -one cleans the other off-
then use a rough scrubbie pad to get the remainder off.
let dry, sand with a hand/ pole sander to get any roughness off, prime with Gardz, mud as needed, sand and spot prime those- ready to paint 2 coats.
Gymschu (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
jschaben

Quote:
Thank you both for responding. I feel like crying or screaming, or both.
That was my first ever post, so let me explain a little more.

I have tried washing the walls with soap and water, hand sanding with sandpaper, and scraping both dry and wet with a razor blade and/or a scraper. These methods are a little successful in removing the paste but if I work it too hard it does take off the top white paper layer of my sheetrock. These places are only a dime or nickle in size because obviously I stop when it starts to tear. I have not tried steam.

Also, the paste is not everywhere. Some spots are worse than others, but some walls are ok.

I think originally, there wasn't a primer coat in between the sheetrock and the original wallpaper. So now when I remove the wallpaper, I am just down to the sheetrock.

I have never skim coated anything and I really don't want to. But I will try! I have patched walls with putty. I think that is all I will need in some spots. I am at work right now, but could post pictures later. I have done a LOT of reading on this sight and everyone says to use HOT water and downey fabric softener and let it soak. Well I think the soaking is what is taking off the paper layer of the drywall. Is this making any sense?

Hi LL - This stuff may be your solution, dunno what the pro's will have to say about it though:
http://www.amazon.com/Liner-Heavy-Wh.../dp/B000EMWO7G

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

I think Brushs plan would be better. At least that is the way I would do it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #9

Chris, again, sorry if I used GLUE instead of adhesive in my post.......dang it, I keep forgetting.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

So did I- Chris might be softening himself...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #11

Ok guys. Tonight after work, I will wash the walls one more time to get off as much paste as I can without damaging any more wall. Then I will sand lightly. Then apply Guardz primer. I can do all that.

Then, what exactly do I skim with? My friend at work said to use "topping" as it sanded better. Do I apply this with a roller and smooth off?

I'm feeling better already!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

Somewhere recently we gave these instructions--
Use the USG easy sand ( in a blue top bucket) near the sheetrock- not any qt sized stuff from the paint dept.
Apply with the biggest blade you can get in an area- standard skim equp for me is that same 4 & 6 " blade plus a 12" .
Put it on as smooth as you can- but don't overwork it. Add just a little water and mix in- will help make it apply easier.
It sands very easy, use a handled sander with a light grit- 100-120 for that stuff. Will make some dust..
Use a trouble light when you sand- you can see so much more holding it close.
reprime (OK to use the gardz- you already have it)
It is very important before you mud to make sure you have soaked the damaged areas pretty well with the gardz. It will seal the damage up so it doesn't bubble.

Good luck!

Last edited by Brushjockey; 09-14-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Chris, again, sorry if I used GLUE instead of adhesive in my post.......dang it, I keep forgetting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
He's tired, it's a never ending uphill battle
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #14

Brushjockey is right in his approach. I might add that if you feel you are up to it, you can use a standard 9" roller with a 1/2 inch nap, dip it into the mud, load it up good and then you can roll the mud onto the wall. It's a messy approach but sometimes makes it easier to get the mud onto the wall so you can begin smoothing it with your wallboard knives/blades. Like I said before, don't get too excited if you don't get it completely smooth after 2 coats........the sanding will take care of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
No, I just let both of you slide

Just this time

He's tired, it's a never ending uphill battle that's true

Last edited by chrisn; 09-15-2011 at 02:23 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-15-2011)