Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Share |

Killz Premium Primer Question

I am using the water based Killz Premium Primer to cover old paint in a bedroom. The walls were purple and trim yellow. Its did a good job of covering. Once I repainted the walls though my wife said she wanted to leave the trim white so I just put 2 coats of the Killz on the trim and she liked it. Now I am wondering if leaving just the primer on the trim is ok. Should it be painted over to reduce VOCs or for another reason or is it ok as it is?

Steveski54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

I suppose if you and your wife like it the way it is........well, you can leave it that way. It is not acceptable paint technique to leave primer and not apply paint over it. Primer usually is flat or nearly flat so any dirt, dust, etc. is gonna quickly attach itself to this primered woodwork. A nice semi-gloss paint would finish out the job........

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #3

Primmers are also poris. Add some finish paint.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveski54 View Post
I am using the water based Killz Premium Primer to cover old paint in a bedroom. The walls were purple and trim yellow. Its did a good job of covering. Once I repainted the walls though my wife said she wanted to leave the trim white so I just put 2 coats of the Killz on the trim and she liked it. Now I am wondering if leaving just the primer on the trim is ok. Should it be painted over to reduce VOCs or for another reason or is it ok as it is?
It may look good now but in a couple months it's gonna get dirty and impossible to clean. Paint it with a semi-gloss or satin paint.
rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Primmers are also poris. Add some finish paint.
Oh yeah?

I thought primers were mostly resin and paints mostly pigments...if so, that would make primers less porous no? And why are there primers for porous materials like wood and concrete? What do you mean "they're porous", anyway?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #6

Primers are rough.You need a slick finish that won't catch every molecule of dust.Do yourself a favor and put at least one coat of enamel on it, two would be best.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Primers are rough.You need a slick finish that won't catch every molecule of dust.Do yourself a favor and put at least one coat of enamel on it, two would be best.

? Some are, many are not. Most primer sealers like Zin 123, Smart Prime, etc are almost an eggshell sheen when dry. Hard and smooth. But they are not meant to be left uncoated. They are made so the top coat can grab a hold on them, and dirt can also.
cdaniels (03-04-2013), Gymschu (03-04-2013), rbriggs82 (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Primers are problem solvers and serve different purpose, as under coaters. Primers are not designed to be used as a top coat. Most primers need to be top cated with a paint finish within 30 days. Paint serves the purpose of protection to a surface and ascetics. Primer is not durable or washable like a quality paint is. I would apply a quality paint over the primer.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote