Keeping The Sleeve Fresh Between Days W/o Cleaning - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Keeping the sleeve fresh between days w/o cleaning

A painter I use to work with 20+ years ago use to either A. keep his roller IN the paint over night or B. said you could wrap it or something if you were going to come back and paint the next day. This of course was without cleaning up at the end of the day. I "THINK" he wrapped his bruses and sometimes roller in saran wrap?? Plastic wrap??? For the life of me I can not remember Going to start priming walls MAYBE tonight and son and SIL finish tomorrow?

Advertisement

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,070

Any plastic will work. You are just keeping the moisture in the brush and the air out.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Unless it is oil based, then tin foil is called for
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

I've even tossed the wrapped roller into the freezer---and used it a week later--Talk about lazy!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Unless it is oil based, then tin foil is called for
Why is this?

Oil based product eat through plastice wrap?

How do seal the air out? Tape?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Boman, while a properly wrapped latex cover will last months, for some reason an oil won't last the night. Mystery of the ages. I sink oil covers in water, and they will stay fresh as long as you need. Take it out in the morning and spin it and go. The water never gets past the surface of the oil and spins right off, some oil spins off as well, so it helps to spin it in a five. It raises a lot of eyebrows, but it's an old school trick that works like a charm.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 83

If I'm working out of a 5 gallon bucket I just take the roller cover off the frame and drop it into the paint. Otherwise I cover it and my brush with Aluminum foil.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Boman, while a properly wrapped latex cover will last months, for some reason an oil won't last the night. Mystery of the ages. I sink oil covers in water, and they will stay fresh as long as you need. Take it out in the morning and spin it and go. The water never gets past the surface of the oil and spins right off, some oil spins off as well, so it helps to spin it in a five. It raises a lot of eyebrows, but it's an old school trick that works like a charm.
I agree spinning will get a lot of the water off. I wash and spin rollers used for latex, and they finish drying a lot quicker. I have also wrapped them in garbage bags if I did not intend to use them for a little while. But, it seems there would be enough water left on a roller used for oil to interfer with the first few rolls of the roller.

Interesting.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nah, it's fine. I sometimes just spin it on the handle. The cover is saturated with oil so no water can penetrate the cover and water slides right off of oil. Try it. JMD, I don't like the idea of sinking rollers in the paint. That makes too much of a mess for my tastes. I've freaked a couple of times over the years when guys have done that on my jobs. And, I have found a few whizz covers while straining paint. Nothing works better than banging it off the handle and wrapping it like a hoagie in painter's plastic. I found one in a basement once that was four years old, and still soft. It was moldy as all hell, but still soft.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

I also don't like dunking the skin in the paint even though it is effective. It is messy when putting it back on the frame and when you first start using it. Plus it gums up the frame making it not spin well. I had an experience with the freezer method also. I was painting exterior metal doors at my house with oil in the days before DTM's were widely used. I wrapped my brush in plastic and put it in the upright freezer. I got busy with paying work and put my doors on hold, forgetting about the brush. By the time I remembered, a couple of week later, everything in the freezer had been tainted with the taste of oil paint. Boy was my wife pd at me. The brush was fine though.

Advertisement

kboyz is offline   Reply With Quote